Never Prefill oil filters!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where did we read those words of wisdom? The oil filter will be in bypass until the oil pressure builds. The oil filter bypass valve works on differential pressure.

Last edited:
But it's brand new oil so it shouldn't matter. I know your kidding right?
lol.gif

Really the ABDV sets in the up position none of its going in until I start the car except what I put in the engine along with the other nonfiltered oil I just put in. Find something important to worry about in your life.

Why would new virgin oil in a filter be an issue? I can't prefill my filters do to mounting upside down. Don't see a problem with it if you can prefill.

I keep hearing this over the years, but if you have concerns about the new oil you are pouring into your engine from a bottle being contaminated, you need to buy some different oil.

As said, you are pouring the oil into the top of your engine, and it goes throughout the engine before getting to the filter. The only thing that would get this "dirty" oil is the oil pump, and so long as you don't have rocks in your new oil, you are fine.
Plus what about all the times the filter may go into bypass on startup and such and all the "used" oil goes into the oil pump?

It is not an issue. If you don't want to do it, then don't, but doing it will cause no harm from a new sealed bottle.

The sky is falling!

I always prefill.
The oil you put in the fill hole pours over the valve train and into the sump "unfiltered" anyway.
In fact, the oil in the sump is always unfiltered, having just returned there from doing it's job, and taking contaminants with it.
The oil will never be cleaner than straight out of the bottle unless you run some kind of bypass filter, and maybe not even then.

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
Because the oil you add will go right into the engine unfiltered!

Hmm..

I have been installing oil via the 'Oil Fill Hole'

I open the cap then pour the oil into the hole..

The oil i have been adding goes right into the engine unfiltered!!!

Don't expose oil filter and new oil to the dirty air in any room, or worse, outside, any longer than necessary. Oil grabs dirt fast, and wiping a funnel with a rag is not exactly clean room practice. Don't leave the oil fill hole open, work fast. Buy Asian filters with the cellophane cover to keep dirt out. Never check oil level, each time introduces dirt to the oil.
cheers3.gif

I always prefill, especially on sideways filter installation.
Big mess removing AND installing.
Otherwise how do I make such a big mess?

Originally Posted by FA_WRX
I can't prefill my filters do to mounting upside down. Don't see a problem with it if you can prefill.

Sure you can. The filter media will hold around half of its volume and you won't lose one drop. I'd rather install a filter with wetted media (even if no where near full to the brim, as could be done on the old EJ engines) than a bone-dry filter.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
Because the oil you add will go right into the engine unfiltered!

Hmm..

I have been installing oil via the 'Oil Fill Hole'

I open the cap then pour the oil into the hole..

The oil i have been adding goes right into the engine unfiltered!!!

+1 Not every oil fill hole leads to the sump. My old Honda and Toyota, for instance, you poor oil right atop the engine head.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Don't expose oil filter and new oil to the dirty air in any room, or worse, outside, any longer than necessary. Oil grabs dirt fast, and wiping a funnel with a rag is not exactly clean room practice. Don't leave the oil fill hole open, work fast. Buy Asian filters with the cellophane cover to keep dirt out. Never check oil level, each time introduces dirt to the oil.
cheers3.gif

crackmeup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back