2018 v-strom DL1000A\XA oil questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I just bought a new v-strom and was wondering

1. if Valvoline 4 stroke full synthetic would work for it? Link here for oil I would like to purchase.
Or would CASTROL POWER 1 4T 10W-40 work better?

2. Is there a cheaper oil for the vstrom?

3. Can I replace my own oil and not void my 1 year warranty? I paid on my last bike and the dealership charged me $150 just for the oil change...

IMG_20190209_203801.jpg

Last edited:
On every Japanese bike I've owned, I've done all my own servicing. I never had any problem with warranty concerns. Other than a Honda that had several issues which were common to the model, which Honda refused to acknowledge were an issue. Lots of complaints about that on websites specific to that bike. Even then, the fact that I did my own servicing never came up.

On the other hand, I know a guy that did his own services on his BMW, but had an unrelated supposedly warrantied issue. He had documented everything with receipts pictures, video, and detailed descriptions. The binder he put together could have been used as a factory service manual, it was so detailed. He was denied warranty coverage by BMW.

If I were in your place, and since you're concerned, I'd probably buy the recommended oil from your Suzuki Dealer while still under warranty, so there's no question you used the recommended oil.

But the V-Strom has been a very reliable bike, so I doubt you'll have any issues.

Congrats on the bike.

Most Japanese bikes have a 1 year warranty in the USA. There are a few exceptions such as the Goldwing which is 3 years.

Any modern 10W-40 that meets JASO-MA will be fine in that bike.

I ran a 1999 Suzuki VZ800 Marauder for 83,000 miles on the cheapest 15W-40 I could buy.

Originally Posted by 02SE
Most Japanese bikes have a 1 year warranty in the USA. There are a few exceptions such as the Goldwing which is 3 years.

I knew that was the case in the US a few years back, didn't realise it was still that way. All the Japanese stuff is 2 years unlimited mileage here, same with Ducati, KTM, Guzzi, and I think Harley... BMW has recently increased theirs to 3 years/unlimited.

Originally Posted by hpb
Either of those oils will be fine. As long as it meets the requirements, it's all good.

And you meant 2 years warranty, right?

Thank you for the help. I wish it was two years. I just traded in my rebel 500 and that one also had only one year warranty. It surprises me because I know other countries get more than a year.

On every Japanese bike I've owned, I've done all my own servicing. I never had any problem with warranty concerns. Other than a Honda that had several issues which were common to the model, which Honda refused to acknowledge were an issue. Lots of complaints about that on websites specific to that bike. Even then, the fact that I did my own servicing never came up.

On the other hand, I know a guy that did his own services on his BMW, but had an unrelated supposedly warrantied issue. He had documented everything with receipts pictures, video, and detailed descriptions. The binder he put together could have been used as a factory service manual, it was so detailed. He was denied warranty coverage by BMW.

If I were in your place, and since you're concerned, I'd probably buy the recommended oil from your Suzuki Dealer while still under warranty, so there's no question you used the recommended oil.

But the V-Strom has been a very reliable bike, so I doubt you'll have any issues.

Congrats on the bike.

Thank you for the help. I always loved working on my own bike but on my rebel I was skeptical and paid the $150. The issue was they put the wrong oil and that kind of upset me. Trying to avoid going to them this time around. Do you think I should change the oil pan bolt as well?

Wow 3 years is impressive. Do you ride a gold wing?

Originally Posted by Linctex

I ran a 1999 Suzuki VZ800 Marauder for 83,000 miles on the cheapest 15W-40 I could buy.

So will car oils work?

Originally Posted by fujirio

So will car oils work?

There are no car oils that I'm aware of that meet JASO MA. If it says "energy conserving" on the back of the bottle, then do NOT use it.

Shell Rotella 15W40 self certifies and says that they would meet JASO MA, although the lube isnt actually certified. Its cheap. Its the only 15W40 oil with JASO MA listed on the back of the bottle.

Valvoline motorcycle 10W40 is cheap at Walmart, and meets the spec. On a new bike, me personally, I would run conventional oil in it for the first year for break in purposes.

The engine design in your bike has been around for at least two decades of reliable service. Valvoline 4-stroke motorcycle oil would be fine, or the Suzuki oil from the dealer if you are concerned. I'd run the OEM filter, but that's just my practice. Never been a fan of Castrol bike oil so I can't speak to it.
Congrats on the new bike.

Suzuki has an odd dimension filter so no larger auto filter available.
Fram makes a filter IIRC, but using the factory filter is your best option for now.

My 2¢

Thank you for the help. I always loved working on my own bike but on my rebel I was skeptical and paid the $150. The issue was they put the wrong oil and that kind of upset me. Trying to avoid going to them this time around. Do you think I should change the oil pan bolt as well?

I should have mentioned that either oil you're considering using, would be fine too. Not trusting others to work on my bikes, is why I've always done my own work. But I also used to work as a Mechanic for a living.

I wouldn't change the oil pan bolt, but I would use a new oil pan drain bolt gasket, which is a crush washer. If the torque spec for the oil pan drain bolt is the same as every other Suzuki I've owned, the spec is 16.5 lb-ft. But confirm that for your bike.

Wow 3 years is impressive. Do you ride a gold wing?

No, I've never owned a Goldwing, but I've ridden a few. Maybe someday. For now I'm still more interested in performance.

I currently have a highly modified Suzuki Hayabusa, modified BMW S1000RR, Ducati Panigale V4 Speciale, and KTM 550 MXC and Honda CR250 dirtbikes.

Also, even though the standard warranty for most makes and models of Japanese bikes is 1 year, I believe all the Japanese manufacturers still offer extra cost extended warranties.

Last edited:
snip

snip

Congrats on the bike.

A simple call to the state attorney generals office and mention of the monroe law (if in the USA) and if necessary the US attorney general and this would get taken care of right away.

Don't warn BMW them in advance. Just hammer them

Rod

Last edited:
We're having a weather delay here, so more time to waste on Bitog.
smile.gif

Anyway, I know he fought it, I don't exactly what lengths he went to in that effort, but suffice it to say he got rid of his R1200GS, and ironically bought a V-Strom.

I bought a new Vstrom DL1000 in 2008 and used Rotella T5 in it for years. I used a Wix filter but can't remember the part number. Never had a problem and it ran like new when I sold it. Bullet proof bikes but I do remember valve adjustments were a pita!

Both Valvoline and Castrol are good choices. Buy on price. I tend to favor Valvoline for what ever reason I am not sure. :eek:)
I never tried the Castrol, always wanted too, but I always had good UOAs on my 2 metric bike with Valvoline. I also liked the Valvoline for its strong clutch engagement, it may feel a little grabby at first, guess it depends on the bike.

Your warranty is not affected by changing your own oil, you should keep receipts with mileage that you changed written on them. Not a big deal though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Both Valvoline and Castrol are good choices. Buy on price. I tend to favor Valvoline for what ever reason I am not sure. :eek:)

I'm using Valvoline 10W-40 4-stoke conventional motorcycle oil in my Hayabusa and XSR900 .... both bikes run and shift well with it. I used Mobil 1 full synthetic motorcycle oil in the Hayabusa a couple of times, and it used oil with it for some reason ... but not with any other oils I've tried.

Originally Posted by gman2304
I bought a new Vstrom DL1000 in 2008 and used Rotella T5 in it for years. I used a Wix filter but can't remember the part number. Never had a problem and it ran like new when I sold it. Bullet proof bikes but I do remember valve adjustments were a pita!

True and valve adj. are expensive if done by shop and very often just ignored because of that fact. When I did the last one on my wevee I decided that it would be my last. I will never own a shim under bucket again. I think that valve adjustments and cost/pita factor is one of the best kept secrets in the metric world. And they do need to be checked although folks go to great lengths to rationalize the need not to do it--like swing arm bearing service and fork oil change. Although the last two are really not that big of a deal to do.

Originally Posted by bubbatime

So will car oils work?

There are no car oils that I'm aware of that meet JASO MA. If it says "energy conserving" on the back of the bottle, then do NOT use it.

Shell Rotella 15W40 self certifies and says that they would meet JASO MA, although the lube isnt actually certified. Its cheap. Its the only 15W40 oil with JASO MA listed on the back of the bottle.

Valvoline motorcycle 10W40 is cheap at Walmart, and meets the spec. On a new bike, me personally, I would run conventional oil in it for the first year for break in purposes.

Thanks, I bought Valvoline 10w-40 full synthetic at Walmart for about $7 a quart. Changed my oil with a wix filter and the motorcycle runs better. A lot more quiet and shifts better.

Also this might be a dumb question but it says 4 stroke oil, does that mean it's 4t as well? I don't see it mentioned on the bottle at all..

Last edited:
4T is an abbreviation term which means use in four stroke engines,to distinguish with 2T which is for two stroke engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back