Mobil 1 EP 0w-20 10,101 Miles 2016 Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by parshisa
What exactly is wrong with POA oil in TGDI? I'm running it with pretty good success and excellent UOAs

?
Latest reports say Group 2 and maybe Group 5?, may be better for LSPI / DI / Turbos. Then Group 3.... Last is Group 4 (PAO).
Info is in a couple threads here in the past month. Not sure exactly where.

If your engine is unaffected, then disregard my mention.

Last edited:
My engine is TGDI, low displacement. I ran loaded with calcium oil with 0 ill effects. Not the oil is the greatest contibutor to LSPI. Drive it as it should be driven and nothing will happen

You seem to have the answer. You should tell exactly that to the engineers testing all this stuff..... which by-the-way, still dont have any final answers.

They claim the affected engines resist best on Group 2.
I don't know anything about that low, medium or high displacement stuff. It's all French to me.

Getting back to the original point, the trend on Iron doesn't look good:

• Miles on oil: 10,101 / 9,240 (+9%)
  • Iron: 29 / 16 (+81%)

I've been reading up on the K24W engine, and fuel dilution seems to be a recurring problem. The plan going forward is to drop this oil and filter at 6000 miles, send another sample for analysis, and replace it with 5w-30 M1EP and a new XG7317. I'll make a decision on the length of the next OCI based upon what the next lab report says, but somehow I don't envision this vehicle as being good for more than an 8000 mile OCI. Time will tell I guess.

Astro... even though Dave1251 and I said similar things in different ways, I don't think you're getting it.

1. UOAs can ONLY look at particles 2. Wear particles of any significance to your engine are WAY larger than 3 microns.
3. Wear particles big enough to be seen will end up in your filter, NOT in your UOA sample.
4. UOAs as used by nearly all "hobbyists" like here on the board are generally only useful for telling you whether or not a given oil is able to deal with your usage and mileage run, NOT how your engine is wearing while using that oil. If you want to have a much better idea of that, you need to look at different testing methods- filter wash analysis, analytical ferrography, etc... and those tests are all exceedingly cost prohibitive for a $20 oil change.
5. The chemical makeup of the oil can and will skew the UOA "wear metals" portion of the test, especially if you keep changing brands!- different chemistries can "chelate" left over deposits in your engine, making it appear you suddenly have a big jump in wear while nothing is actually going on. This is why there are guidelines for interpreting: a single data point means NOTHING in and of itself; and, changing oils and then retesting on that OCI makes the results of dubious value.

What does this mean? When you buy a car, change the oil with your intended use oil, and drive an OCI on it. Drain it and refill, and drive another OCI. Now if you want a UOA, you can test this fill and any going forward as long as you use the same brand and weight of oil. If you change brands or even weights, it skews the UOA some because of the leftover oil in the galleys and sump, and doesn't tell you much.

Back to the "chelating" effect- some oils seem to pull different metals out of the varnish/sludge/deposits left behind from other oils- Mobil1 seems to chelate iron, Pennz Platinum seems to chelate copper, and there are some others- what this means is when you switch to that oil and see a big jump in one certain wear metal, it almost certainly DOES NOT mean you suddenly have a near-catastrophic event going on in your engine! You need at least 3 oil analyses to identify a trend, and so that you don't severely skew your data and cloud the issue, I would keep using the same brand and weight of oil you did the first time, and maybe just shorten the OCI by 2-3k for the next two changes. Then, make the decision if you need to go up in weight or class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back