Phillips 66 Shield Choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious if anyone has used this oil? I havent seen much talk about it. Anyway I changed oil in my wife's Chrysler 200 3.6 today and started in on my stash of Phillips 66. I picked it up last summer at my local orscheln farm store on sale for 1.99 a quart. I was a little hesitant on getting it as it was so cheap then realized it is api sn plus so decided to get enough for two changes. I know this isn't a huge deal but I was shocked to see each bottle had a foil seal. Here's a few pictures I took

20190209_164542.jpg

20190209_164544.jpg

20190209_165445.jpg

I have it in our 2015 F150 right now. Have purchased it and its predecessor, Trop=Artic from Orscheln for several years now. No issues. Seems to be a quality yet inexpensive oil.

It was common maybe a decade or more ago as Phillips TropArctic 66 and I think always highly regarded here and an excellent oil sold at budget prices. They also blend Motorcraft and Kendall which are all excellent products, I wouldn't worry a bit. I've used both the Motorcraft and Kendall versions.

They're probably trying to get their re-branded product out there...

This it the brand I've seen carried by Winco grocery stores, and that's literally the only place I've seen it carried.

Originally Posted by JayhawkRoy
I have it in our 2015 F150 right now. Have purchased it and its predecessor, Trop=Artic from Orscheln for several years now. No issues. Seems to be a quality yet inexpensive oil.

I never quite understood the equation between cost and perceived quality. Motor oil has always been one of those things where there's always been this huge marketing budget for the big brands and where less advertised brands were often cheaper simply because they didn't have to pay for a big advertising budget.

Way back when, I remember a friend who insisted that Chevron or Mobil conventional must be inferior to Castrol, Pennzoil, etc because the average price was cheaper. No real data to back it up, but I'd think he was typical. But he was a big fan of Chevron gasoline because it cost more. Also a huge fan of anything made in Japan or Germany, just because they had to be of better quality just on that basis.

I guess this is a typical thought in that vein:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090308212207AAZST2V&guccounter=1
Chevron oil is a low grade oil with cheap additives and it breaks down faster then say Castrol. If you have been using a synthetic or synthetic blend keep using that. if not i would suggest Motor Craft which is the factory oil for ford. That or Castrol GTX.

That's good to hear. I tried that trop arctic a few years ago in my old dodge neon I drove for work and it would burn it like crazy, but that could of been the high miles. I'm not too worried about this in my wife's car as I've read the 3.6 pentastar is easy on oil.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
Originally Posted by JayhawkRoy

I never quite understood the equation between cost and perceived quality. Motor oil has always been one of those things where there's always been this huge marketing budget for the big brands and where less advertised brands were often cheaper simply because they didn't have to pay for a big advertising budget.

Way back when, I remember a friend who insisted that Chevron or Mobil conventional must be inferior to Castrol, Pennzoil, etc because the average price was cheaper. No real data to back it up, but I'd think he was typical. But he was a big fan of Chevron gasoline because it cost more. Also a huge fan of anything made in Japan or Germany, just because they had to be of better quality just on that basis.

I guess this is a typical thought in that vein:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090308212207AAZST2V&guccounter=1
Chevron oil is a low grade oil with cheap additives and it breaks down faster then say Castrol. If you have been using a synthetic or synthetic blend keep using that. if not i would suggest Motor Craft which is the factory oil for ford. That or Castrol GTX.

Got to love Yahoo answers-any idjit can post anything they want-"Motor Craft" & Chevron are made by the exact same company (Conoco/Phillips), and since Chevron (Supreme) tends to have a higher moly content than MC (142 PPM vs. 15). and a lower NOACK (14.6% vs. 16.2%, I would make the case that Chevron Supreme is a BETTER oil than Motorcraft! http://www.pqiamerica.com/Feb2014/consolidated5w20ALL.html

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Got to love Yahoo answers-any idjit can post anything they want-"Motor Craft" & Chevron are made by the exact same company (Conoco/Phillips), and since Chevron (Supreme) tends to have a higher moly content than MC (142 PPM vs. 15). and a lower NOACK (14.6% vs. 16.2%, I would make the case that Chevron Supreme is a BETTER oil than Motorcraft! http://www.pqiamerica.com/Feb2014/consolidated5w20ALL.html

Not to be argumentative or anything, but I thought ConcocoPhillips was out of the refining and lubricants business. And doesn't Chevron still make almost everything in house including the base oils, additives, and blending? I know Oronite's HQ (along with base oils) is just a few miles from me, although apparently they do a lot of development in Europe too.

I guess Chevron Phillips Chemical makes some of the non-petroleum lubes that Chevron might use, but how much of that would go into a bottle of Chevron Supreme?

Uhh, reading this makes my head hurt. ConocoPhillips makes Motorcraft and Kendall motor oil I believe. It is most certainly NOT owned by a Chevron in any way, shape or form!

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Uhh, reading this makes my head hurt. ConocoPhillips makes Motorcraft and Kendall motor oil I believe. It is most certainly NOT owned by a Chevron in any way, shape or form!

Even then it's Phillips 66 now. Yet another name change in the oil industry soap opera.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Oh, I didn't know about the merger or whatever happened then.

Thanks for the updated info
smile.gif

That was nearly 7 years ago. ConocoPhillips is purely an oil exploration company now. Not that I necessarily understand why they didn't just change their name. I remember hearing about it because traffic reports in my area include the current Phillips 66 refinery in Rodeo, California as a prominent landmark.

. ConocoPhillips is a major producer and its oils are as good as any other majors oil with equal specs.

I have used TropArtic for decades and now use Shield Choice, as well as a few other lower-priced brands. I have always stocked up on TropArtic and now Shield Choice whenever Orschelns has it on sale, always at $2/quart or less. I have put hundreds of thousands of miles on these two oils without any engine problems whatsoever, with the exception of a 4.0 Jeep engine that grenaded, not the fault of the oil whatsoever.
Don't be afraid to use this oil. In this area, Conoco-Phillips also has some top-tier gas stations.

Originally Posted by CT8
. ConocoPhillips is a major producer and its oils are as good as any other majors oil with equal specs.

I agree. My local Phillips 66 Distributor has Sheild on their shelves, and I was told by them that it's Trop Artic in a new bottle with a new name. I ran Trop Artic for decades in all of my gasoline powered engines, and it performed flawlessly.

Originally Posted by Dak27
Originally Posted by CT8

I agree. My local Phillips 66 Distributor has Sheild on their shelves, and I was told by them that it's Trop Artic in a new bottle with a new name. I ran Trop Artic for decades in all of my gasoline powered engines, and it performed flawlessly.

I've used Trop Artic as well I haven't used the Phillips Shield yet but I have no doubts about its quality.

Yea the api sn plus is why I decided to get it. Its gotta be good if it has that certification. Does anyone know if there is a limit on noack with the sn plus? Or is that just a dexos thing. Not worried about it, just curious. Phillip's 66 doesn't have it listed on the data sheet

Originally Posted by 07hemi
Yea the api sn plus is why I decided to get it. Its gotta be good if it has that certification. Does anyone know if there is a limit on noack with the sn plus? Or is that just a dexos thing. Not worried about it, just curious. Phillip's 66 doesn't have it listed on the data sheet

All API standards include a NOACK testing requirement, although I'm not sure what it would be for SN Plus. This lists the requirement for a host of API service categories, including SN. Apparently 15%.

https://www.infineum.com/media/80723/api-engine-oil-classifications.pdf

Haven't seen TropArtic around here for years since Walmart dropped it.

Kinda wish they wouldn't have changed the name of it and just let it be.

I'd still buy it if it was still around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back