How long do your boots last

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone I have a pair of ariat cowboy boots the soles have bald spots and the support is pretty used up. They are a little over a year old. Im kinda disappointed with this. The hardest job they have is working on a concrete floor as a mechanic but they've only got maybe 6 months of that other use is just daily task grocery shopping typical walking. Ect nothing abusive. So how long do your boots last? And since im in the market any good recommendations? I don't like laces. And I don't like a big work boot sole.

I'm lucky to get 4 months out of work boots. I bought some redback ones that were supposed to be the cat's meow. They didn't last 2 weeks. They warrantied them and the replacements lasted the same amount of time. I got my money back after that. Bought some redwings that only lasted 5 weeks. Redwing screwed me on those so I swore that brand off.

Been getting the Chinese ones from big 5 and tractor supply. Those last 3-4 months at least.

My Elk Woods winter boots are close to 10 years old. Still look nearly new, but I mainly just use them when clearing the driveway during winter.

I have yet to try Redwing. One of these days.

If I get a year out of footwear I'm happy. I sit most of the time so it should be easy. But they wear out all the same. I've given up and just buy something cheap from Walmart for every day wear. Waiting at the moment for the local LL Bean store to get some bean boots in my size.

I just buy low tops and leave the laces tied loosely so I can slip off and on. If you have normal sized feet you'd likely have to buy oversized shoes to do that.

I only wear Belleville ICWT (Intermediate Cold Wet Weather) Boots - heat of August in Texas or -25*F in North Dakota.

Nothing last longer.

Get used to laces, though - - - that "preference" cuts you out of 99% of all the good boots that are ACTUALLY WORTH BUYING

I work at a desk, so my boot/shoe wear is pretty easy going. My last pair of inexpensive work boots lasted me about 3 years of just weekend/around the house wear. I didn't even wear out the sole, it cracked right at the point of the foot where I bend my feet while walking, I assume the rubber sole material got old and lost its elasticity.

I've since purchased nicer made in USA Redwings. My oldest pair are 3 years old now, with no real wear, sole looks in good shape and same with the upper. I expect another 3-5 years before needing to resole. I do try to alternate my boots every other day, and put a shoe tree in them after wearing them, so maybe that helps keep them in decent shape. Can your Ariat boots be re-soled?

I actually have a much older pair of steel toe Redwings I purchased for an internship while in college (15 years ago?). I recently started wearing them again and they're also in great shape. That pair has a molded sole that is glued on, I'm actually surprised the adhesive didn't crack as soon as I started walking.

I used to wear boots all day, every day, on steel decks, in all weather.

They came through the USN supply system.

They lasted for years.

Made by Wolverine.

Still have my last pair.

I'd look at what Wolverine is offering.

Horse pucky. Unless your 800lbs or are walking through barbed-wire 8 hrs a day........5 weeks for redwings?? Come on.

Originally Posted by Chris142
I'm lucky to get 4 months out of work boots. I bought some redback ones that were supposed to be the cat's meow. They didn't last 2 weeks. They warrantied them and the replacements lasted the same amount of time. I got my money back after that. Bought some redwings that only lasted 5 weeks. Redwing screwed me on those so I swore that brand off.

Been getting the Chinese ones from big 5 and tractor supply. Those last 3-4 months at least.

I got my money back after that. Bought some redwings that only lasted 5 weeks. Redwing screwed me on those so I swore that brand off.

Me too. I will never buy another pair of Redwings. They are NOT the same as they were a decade ago. Last pair I had had a sole separation at a little over a month, and I even work indoors. Redwing did not want to warranty them. I am done with Redwing. I hope others will be aware of the quality issues. Don't waste your money.

Originally Posted by oliveoil
Horse pucky. Unless your 800lbs or are walking through barbed-wire 8 hrs a day........5 weeks for redwings?? Come on.

Hey im just telling my experience. They were junk.

Wife and I are both desk jockeys but like to have boots for snow. I have a pair of Docs and so does my wife.
I also have a pair of no-name Chinese made leather boots that were dirt cheap but remain comfortable and have worn well.
My wife has a pair of fancy looking leather boots that were around forty dollars that she finds comfortable to wear.
Boots are a necessity on snowy winter mornings when walking out of the house on the way to work.

My last pair of Redwings lasted 16 years. Wore them at home when doing yard work and other work around the house.

My Carolina's are about 1.5 years old. I'm going for 2 lol. I'll definitely be buying another pair, these are more comfortable than those god awful Thorogood wedge sole's everyone in my area swears by, and they're lasting longer than my previous red wings. And these aren't just my work boots, I wear them all the time.

541B22D5-DE86-4E86-9D85-939AF27A3642.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SubLGT
My last pair of Redwings lasted 16 years. Wore them at home when doing yard work and other work around the house.

Congrats on buying a good pair back in 2003. They were indeed very good then.

Today, they are trash.

A decade ago my RedWing dealer said that the newer non-CFC manufacturing meant that Vibram soles would not last a near-lifetime like they used to.

A decade ago I had some huge heavy insulated RedWing boots I couldn't wear out, I finally tossed them because I could carry another pair of Keen's and wool socks in my hunting rucksack for less weight then I was swinging on the end of my legs. Sprung versus unsprung weight, if you will.

I have no idea what the current RedWing quality level is. For roughly $100 Keen boots are light and comfortable and last me for years. As they get shabby I demote them to mud room, yard work, mud work use.

Double H Boots..

I used to hate slip ons but these have changed my mind.

https://www.amazon.com/Double-Mens-DH3560-Square-Roper/dp/B002XUMRLU/ref=sr_1_1

I paid $140 for mine locally. No idea why they are so expensive on Amazon. Made in USA. Comfortable right out of the box. I have abused them in mud/snow/ gravel and day to day.

They make almost the exact same boot but made in China for cheaper.. I tried them on and while they arent as comfortable out of the box by a long shot.. i have friends who have these working on the Pipeline. And they swear by them for lasting...and say they break in nicely.

These are the made in China ones.. https://www.amazon.com/Double-Square-Western-Boots-DH5134/dp/B078PP9JHR/ref=cts_sh_1_vtp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back