Have you stressed out about what oil to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never...until recently. Most of daily cars & trucks, i just used any brand name at WM and for my performance cars, i only looked for high zddp.

But after picking up my first Camaro and i have started learning more and more about oil. Dexos, SAPS, HTHS etc (still learning lol) and suddenly it starts confusing me more and more. Bought a oil and returned and keep thinking and searching etc etc and even just standing front of Oil section at WM lol.

But after spend more times here and now i have finally decided which oil to go with. (I have decided just forget Dexos and go Castrol 0W40 or M1 0W40.)

Anyone ever got stressed out about oil? Am i too crazy? LoL

Oh BIG thanks to this forums and members here!

I would stick with Dexos 1 Gen 2 as long as it;s under warranty; then when it's out, run 0W40 Edge or whatever you want. Unless you're one of those rebels like me that hates "stealerships"-then, to heck with the warranty!

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
I would stick with Dexos 1 Gen 2 as long as it;s under warranty; then when it's out, run 0W40 Edge or whatever you want. Unless you're one of those rebels like me that hates "stealerships"-then, to heck with the warranty!

Hahahahaha

Long as motor in one piece, i dont think i will ever go to dealer.

Stay with the owners manual recommendations until the vehicle tells you it's time for a change.
That may take 10+ years to happen.
Sleep well my friend!

I was stressing over oil in new Grand Caravan I bought in August as last new vehicle bought was in 97. After i bought it i found it to be a quart low at 4500 miles so i did as usual and found a sale (Napa 5w20) and second guessed it. Went back and forth in mind with wife keep asking me to stay out of Walmart Auto section everytime we go. I even emailed oil companies with questions as well as Dodge. One thing I can honestly say is I now know without a doubt the oil I will run as I plan on keeping it as long as possible hopefully my last vehicle. Valvoline Modern Engine 5w20 and run OLM. Both agree best course of action and with miles I put it will be once a year. Now if I can convince myself the Napa will last until November life will be a lot better.

1) What ever is one sale, and is
2) API rated
3) Appropriate viscosity for the weather

That's about all that really matters, honestly

Originally Posted by s2krunner

Anyone ever got stressed out about oil? Am i too crazy?

I Never stress about oil. I've got real problems to worry about lol.

I won't call you crazy, maybe a wee bit insecure (j/k).

Nope and I don't stress about the "API" either. Not suggesting you do the same, but just stating where it sits with me.

Being a GM Vehicle I would make sure that the oil you are using is Dexos 1 Gen 2 capable though.

Last edited:
I did at one point. Now I don't. I would google search about quality of different brands. Few years back all people seemed to think was any good in my search results were Mobil 1, Royal Purple and Amsoil. I found in those answers I should never ever use the junk oil from Walmart. Supertech was going to ruin my car. Then I found this web site. I found I can use much cheaper oils and still sleep at night. Also found Supertech was some pretty decent oil too. I suspected as much but wow you wouldn't know it with some of the views I was reading.

Nah, just get some city star oil or Dollar Tree oil and call it a day
wink.gif

For a bit, but only when I got my Tundra. I then did some reading up on what a magical substance TGMO is, and why 0W20 is so critical. And now run Supertech 5W30 synthetic (unless if I can get Mobil for less).

If I had something exotic, or something modified and/or driven hard, or a Euro car, I'd read up on the specs and run that. Other stuff, meh, I've learned to just roll with it. It very likely doesn't matter in the long run; I'll probably get rid of it long before any lubrication problems would occur.

Last edited:
If I have a $21.99 oil change coupon from Jiffy lube i let them put conventional whatever oil in and change it at 5K miles.
If not i but a jug of Supertech high mileage synthetic and a Fram Tough Guard filter and let Jiffy Lube change it and let it go 10K miles.
So far the sentra has gone 201K miles on this diet.
And no i dont stress out a bit about oil.

Heavens no! Why is this even a question? Buy whatever blows your hair back and meets/exceeds your vehicle's specs as set forth by the manufacturer and take your woman out for supper.

Originally Posted by supton
For a bit, but only when I got my Tundra. I then did some reading up on what a magical substance TGMO is, and why 0W20 is so critical. And now run Supertech 5W30 synthetic (unless if I can get Mobil for less).

If I had something exotic, or something modified and/or driven hard, or a Euro car, I'd read up on the specs and run that. Other stuff, meh, I've learned to just roll with it. It very likely doesn't matter in the long run; I'll probably get rid of it long before any lubrication problems would occur.

You have a lot of miles on your Toyotas.
Probably could run cooking oil in them.
Tough sleds they are.

Originally Posted by HM12460
Heavens no! Why is this even a question? Buy whatever blows your hair back and meets/exceeds your vehicle's specs as set forth by the manufacturer and take your woman out for supper.

Great point sir. When I looked at opening post I just shook my head and grabbed a beer
wink.gif

Modern SN rated oils are all very good and worlds ahead of what was available even 10 years ago. It isn't worth worrying about, use the correct grade and move on with life. statistically the car will be wrecked or have other issues that lead to it's death before the engine fails.

I do stress on my Mercedes Diesel car; oil has to meet MB 229.31 or later. I dread DPF filter failing and that is lots of $$.

Stressed out over it, never.
Trying to decide from all the oils on my shelf, yea, it may take me a bit to decide.
I now have my next few oil changes already picked out on my stash spreadsheet.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
What does GM say to run in a 2018 6.2 liter?

Dunno, but fairly sure it's DEXOS 1 Gen2 0w20 synthetic. What's your owners manual say or are we suppose to guess?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back