Chrysler Powertech 6 Speed Flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have 2013 Dodge Dart with the 2.0 litre engine and 6 speed Powertech automatic. My understanding is that this transmission has no serviceable filter and the recommended service method is to complete a flush and refill at 60k. Since I bought the car used, I am not sure if this was completed or not.

Any thoughts as to this? My understanding is that this common service for newer late model vehicles.

One last thing, the transmission does have a filter, but it can only be changed during overhaul procedures.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

My advice is get a FULL fluid exchange, you seem to have less than 60K miles so you shouldn't have seal or deposit problems. Just be sure you get the correct fluid and not the generic one.

Is it easy to drain, fill and check level on?

I trust my own drain, fill and level checks before I trust a shop to "flush".

Last edited:
That is a Hyundai automatic transmission. It has a drain plug, so it is easy to drain. Drain it from the drain plug, measure how much you drained, then refill with the same amount you drained. I think the official spec ATF is Hyundai SP-IV, but you can use Maxlife ATF in it
smile.gif

How many miles do you have on the car now?

Sorry, I forgot to say that. The mileage that is on the vehicle now is just over 70k. So I am due. Now my question on the drain and refill is that I only get part of the tranny fluid out correct? With a flush or fluid exchange, they take out more of the overall fluid that is in the transmission. Since this tranny also seems to have a conventional torque converter vs a dual dry clutch engagement....would the flush / exchange be the better alternative?

I would rather drain and fill it several times vs flush anything.

drain/fill, drive a week, drain/fill, etc

its super easy.. easier than oil change even.. and no mess from filter etc.

I have the Powertech 6F24 tranny in my 2014 Patriot. The "sealed" transmission has 4 ports: drain plug, fill plug, dipstick port, and a "level check" (overflow) plug.

My Patriot FSM states: Factory fill fluid capacity is 7.5 qt.. Service fill with full torque converter and fluid cooler = 5 qt.. Yours may vary.

Current Fluid: SP-IV M https://www.dealers-mopar.com/resources/pdf/chemical/chemical-catalog.pdf Part No. 68171869AB Not cheap at $50/gallon. Supposedly Maxlife ATF works, BG fluids, etc..

Dipstick: OEM No. 10323a @ $30+/-. There is now an aftermarket stick @ $14: CTA Tools 1017 http://www.ctatools.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1527 ...Not a permanent dip stick-used for fill procedure only.

Two level check methods. In both cases, you need to have the fluid at a particular temperature.

- The factory service manual drain/fill procedure describes a dipstick method only. There is a chart for temp. vs. dipstick reading.
- A TSB describes using the level check plug until the fluid drips out at a certain rate. https://chrysler.oemdtc.com/TSB/21-011-15.pdf

Patriot You Tube Video (not critiqued): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21irJQJkXj0

This link claims that the Powertech 6F24 is the same as Hyundai A6MF1, so you can Google/Youtube A6MF1 procedures for that tranny for similar results (Hyundai/Kia vehicles): https://www.atsg.us/atsg/blog/a6speedfromkorea/

I have not studied about the cooler line fluid exchange method on this transmission. Mistakes occur on internet instructions, i.e. one guy recommends level check with engine off vs. the correct method of engine running.

Hope this helps you get educated about this. Not rocket science, but a bit more involved than the good old days.

Originally Posted by Wrenchturner44
Sorry, I forgot to say that. The mileage that is on the vehicle now is just over 70k. So I am due. Now my question on the drain and refill is that I only get part of the tranny fluid out correct? With a flush or fluid exchange, they take out more of the overall fluid that is in the transmission. Since this tranny also seems to have a conventional torque converter vs a dual dry clutch engagement....would the flush / exchange be the better alternative?

Correct. It is a regular torque converter automatic, not a DCT.

Although the drain-and-fill only gets part of the fluid like you say, that is not a problem. The amount you drain and replace is sufficient. You can do a single drain-and-fill every 60k, and that is fine. But if you're still not satisfied, and only a more thorough flush is good enough for you, the best course of action would be to simply do the same drain-and-fill repeating 3-4x, with some driving between each drain. The amount of driving between the 3-4 drains can be anywhere from around the block and back to 5000 miles.

Remember that most transmissions never have their fluid changed at all and go to the junkyard on their factory fill
crazy2.gif

At 70K a fluid exchange would be beneficial and I have not witnessed an T-Tec machine or similar device cause any more issues then a drain and fill.

Maxlife is OK, but something about it is just not quite right with shifting. I drained mine and refilled it with the KIA sp-4m, which is the exact same as the Hyundai SP-iv-m, but half the price. I bought 5 quarts and that was plenty.

I've used the Maxlife in a Kia Rio transmission and no issues with it at all. I love how they have a drain plug and a simple fill level plug on these transmissions. Changing fluid is about as easy as an oil change.

I bought my son's car with 60K miles and immediately drained/filled and let him drive for a week and repeated the process. These are "lifetime" fluids so I feel I'm being BITOG paranoid to dump it once every 30K. Cost is < $20 and it takes all of a half hour so, at the very worst, you are throwing away $20 every couple years. The original fluid was almost completely dark when I dumped it and I know the color isn't the whole story but just for peace of mind, I feel good with nice new pink fluid in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back