Tacoma, codes P0441, P0446

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check engine light on an 01 came on a week ago Thursday, one the colder days here before warm up. Got out my trusty old Actron basic code reader, got topic codes. Evap system, research suggested several possibilities, worst evap canister and/or tank purge/rollover valve. Easiest, bad gas cap and evap vacuum lines. Gas cap relatively new Stant Cap purchased last year. Did have a couple of OE canister hoses that were cracked. One short, one longer to top of intake plenum. Started there.

Having a gift card went first to AAP. Had some hose that might have worked, but OD much smaller. First Napa store tried to sell me fuel hose, said same thing. Uhh, no. Then to the Toyota dealer, wow useless as.....think anatomical part on male bovine. Would have liked to purchase actual hose pieces as can be seen many bends and would be best option. Lacking that at least some OEM type hose by the foot with same ID and OD. No joy on either and a total waste of time. Then to another Napa store, Flowers Family with stores in NC and apparently Va. Had some hose by the foot with very close if not identical ID, OD slightly smaller but workable, 3 ft ~$1.80. As can be seen had to extend the hose U curve of the replacement hose so as to not restrict flow.

Erased codes haven't come back in well over 100 miles and over a week, but didn't come back after erasing them immediately with old hose. Time will tell. Did buy a new OEM Toyota gas cap (pricey) too even though Stant likely fine, will save for spare. No didn't buy from local dealer, got it from an ebay seller.

Ideally having a smoke machine for this be best, but at this point didn't want buy even the ones like Scotty Kilmer hawks and sold on ebay. I'd have limited use. I see Pep Boys does test for ~$30, but it is Pep Boys. I've got zero complaints about the truck, ~155k miles only second check engine light I've gotten. First air-fuel ratio sensor, easy fix. If I ever sell this, even though MT trashed Tacoma recently, I'd buy another.

P1010934.JPG

Last edited:
I also have 01 Taco, v6. Went thru this last year. I remember checking the solenoid vsv, it was ok. Could not test pressure sensor and they were Expensive!! if you could find one. I tried one from an Ebay junkyard. It was the exact part #, tho it said off a 96 Camry. $25 or so. Fixed my truck.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
I see some of your hoses are using constant tension clamps.

It would have been a good idea to install those on your new hoses as well.
Point noted. What you see is exactly how they were fit, no clamps used on places seen without one. End of hose up on intake plenum had a tension clamp, used an extra piece of cut hose over the new hose to allow clamp to fit tightly. I would say the new Napa hose fits pretty tightly now, at least as tight as OE before the splits.

Originally Posted by rekit
...Could not test pressure sensor and they were Expensive!! if you could find one. I tried one from an Ebay junkyard. It was the exact part #, tho it said off a 96 Camry....
If code(s) return, I'll keep that in mind and if ok I'll pm you if I have questions about that sensor.

I just fought similar EVAP problem on my Camry

$24 later for a OEM gas cap from my friendly Toyota parts man, it was fixed

If you don't hear/feel suction when removing it, it's bad

This is anecdotal, but I've had nothing but trouble with non OEM gas caps

I have the locking version of the Stant on my 2009 Tacoma since the 2nd gen doesn't have a locking fuel door. I have had this cap for almost 10 years now. One thing that seems to help with seal life on the gas cap is applying a bit of dielectric grease to them when they are still new. They won't dry out and crack and you get a long life from them. I also have a Honda CRV whose original gas cap seal didn't get grease; it dried out after 6 years, and I replaced with OEM cap which DID get grease at install.

Originally Posted by michaelluscher
I just fought similar EVAP problem on my Camry

$24 later for a OEM gas cap from my friendly Toyota parts man, it was fixed

If you don't hear/feel suction when removing it, it's bad

This is anecdotal, but I've had nothing but trouble with non OEM gas caps
When I removed the Stant cap yesterday to replace with the OEM I did hear/feel the suction. Don't regret the OEM cap purchase though. At times the Stant cap was very hard to get started turning for removal. I'm thinking the OEM cap will help with that. Your price on target with what I paid for the OEM cap.

I'll keep the dielectric grease on the cap seal tip in mind.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Point noted. What you see is exactly how they were fit, no clamps used on places seen without one. End of hose up on intake plenum had a tension clamp, used an extra piece of cut hose over the new hose to allow clamp to fit tightly. I would say the new Napa hose fits pretty tightly now, at least as tight as OE before the splits.

I'm thinking a constant tension clamp would prevent the end of the hose from splitting by constantly squeezing it.

I have a Redline Readysmoke machine that rarely gets any use. If you want to pay the 2-way shipping fee, you can borrow it.

Originally Posted by The Critic
I have a Redline Readysmoke machine that rarely gets any use. If you want to pay the 2-way shipping fee, you can borrow it.

Interesting.....I use mine (Snap-on high volume) at least once a week.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by The Critic

Interesting.....I use mine (Snap-on high volume) at least once a week.

I rarely see EVAP issues or vacuum leaks which require smoke testing.

Getting the evap monitor is tough on that year. Can you check to see if it's passed with your code reader? Canister Close Valve will trigger those 2 codes. Since there's no P0440, I'd say it's the CCV or charcoal in the canister has cracked partially blocking airflow

So I put Actron Pocket Scan on Tacoma again this am, zero codes. Obviously good.

Critic I appreciate the offer, Googled it. Looks like a very nice piece of equipment. I'm thinking two way shipping could be rather costly, plus I wouldn't want to be responsible for any damage that could occur in shipping or otherwise. I do have a plan should codes return. Indy Honda shop that has done timing belt water pump service for me, has added Toyota service to his repertoire. I'd call and ask if he does smoke testing. Beyond that I would grudgingly consider PepBoys, IF done right price not whacked imo.

I'm thinking the suction sound and feel when gas cap removed was at least a good sign it's not the tank purge/roll over valve, that would not be diy for me. So what's left including evap canister is under the hood. Though options there can get costly I could service them. On the evap canister, I watched a couple youtubes showing leaks on same canister. One found at bottom seam with one those ebay type smoke machines. The other was found on one the canister top circular protrusions (there's two) that can been seen under old hose in posted pic. The former was fixed with something called Toyota Seal? The latter fixed with Epoxy Glue.

I will look for more of theToyota spring clamps. Part of the issue like not finding the OEM replacement hoses, unlike Honda where detailed parts diagrams with parts #s can be easily found on many online sites, Toyota much harder find ime. Most I can find is some separate parts, but especially for smaller parts have to guess if they are the ones I'm looking for. If I had the numbers I could have just gone to dealer with part numbers and tell the parts guy what I wanted/needed, or order online. As noted, dealer parts guy was no help.

Below is aforementioned Actron scanner purchased in 2008 for ~$42, might have been my first Amazon purchase. Nothing fancy, but it's paid for itself many times over.

P1010938.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back