Vredestein Quatrac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not me, but user MCompact has them since last year on a Mini Cooper.

there may be couple more threads from the past.
Also please search the threads aboiut the true 4-season tires: they've been mentioned there.

P.S. Sorry, my google search fu is none today. Party last night.....

I found another random source where people loved them. I just put a set on. I'll wait a year until I make a judgment.

Originally Posted by SevenBizzos
I found another random source where people loved them. I just put a set on. I'll wait a year until I make a judgment.

On what vehicle if you don't mind sharing.

Thank you

Sure. A 2009 Hyundai Sonata V6. Had 2" of snow overnight so the roads weren't completely clean this morning and they did very well. I know most new tires would too, so I'm not chalking it up to tire design only. Monday morning I plowed through 8" of unplowed snow pretty easily as well.

The links you referenced are things I read too. People like them.

The last week or so here we have received about 12-15 inches of snow. I have these on my 2003 Forester and must say they dig through the snow very well. The only thing that I have found is that they seem a little slick when stopping. Don't stop as well as the Blizzaks on the wife's Galant, but then again they are not a dedicated winter tire either. Have put about 3500 miles on them since July and must say for an all season tire they have performed well in all conditions.

Had them on my smart car as my intermediate tires. Was surprised how well they handled snow. Only had them for three years as my spring and fall tires, but wear seemed respectable.

VERY happy with them on a 1999 Avalon in size 205/65R15. I have had them on since last May, and put around 2500 miles on them so not much wear gone yet. In the couple of decent snows we have had here in NEPA, they have been outstanding. I have been very impressed with their performance in rain and on wet roads, too. And they are much quieter and better all around dry than the junk Primewells that came on the car when I bought it 4 year ago. At half wear, those tires were downright useless in any snow, and frightening in rain/wet situations. They were also extremely loud and flat spotted readily. So, yes, these replaced garbage tires, so of course they seem better. I have driven thousands of miles in over 7 years in rental cars, on all kinds of tires (OE, expensive replacements, cheap replacements), and then I sold tires for over 4 years, so I like to think I have some basis for comparing them to more than just that junk set.

The only experience I have personally with dedicated winters is a Chrysler minivan on Michelin X-ice XI2s. These are not as traction-intensive as those, of course. But I think strike an excellent middle ground.

Last edited:
The Mini is now my daily driver and I could not be happier with the Quatrac 5 tires. I have put 6,800 miles on them so far and I think that they are an excellent choice if you want a grand touring tire that performs better in winter conditions than a regular A/S tire.

I had a set on our old 2002 CRV ,but it was totaled by a hit and run driver one night when it was parked on the street in front of my house, had less than 1000 miles on the Vredsteins at that time. Did have opportunity to drive on them in a pretty bad snow storm on the way to des Moines from Lincoln. They did just as i would expect a dedicated snow tire to perform and they did well no issues at all with traction while many cars with only all seasons were struggling.
My Insurance company usaa got some brand new Vredsteins tires when my CRV was totaled. it was a bummer since I had just spent about $500 on the set and in less than 1000 miles i no longer had them. I now just run Altimax winters on the Forester in winter and make do with Cooper CS 3 all seasons on our Sonata.

I had a set on our old 2002 CRV ,but it was totaled by a hit and run driver one night when it was parked on the street in front of my house, had less than 1000 miles on the Vredsteins at that time. Did have opportunity to drive on them in a pretty bad snow storm on the way to des Moines from Lincoln. They did just as i would expect a dedicated snow tire to perform and they did well no issues at all with traction while many cars with only all seasons were struggling.
My Insurance company usaa got some brand new Vredsteins tires when my CRV was totaled. it was a bummer since I had just spent about $500 on the set and in less than 1000 miles i no longer had them. I now just run Altimax winters on the Forester in winter and make do with Cooper CS 3 all seasons on our Sonata. Looks like the reviews from people who drive a lot in high snow states like Minnesota, WI and ND seem pleased with Vredstein tires.I would not hesitate to buy them again when the time comes. But my snows will age out long before I wear them out. since being retired we only put on maybe 10K miles per year on both vehicles combined.

* only wanted to edit but double posted somehow.*

Last edited:
I'm thinking seriously about using these to replace the Kumho TA31's that are on my car now. I have used the General Altimax R43 and really liked them, but these have got my ears up. The only thing I worry is will they be loud after 15K miles like alot of tires do, and will they ride stiff.

Originally Posted by Propflux01
TR gives it stellar reviews
Tire Rack (TR) didn't give it that good of a review. It came in last in a pack of 4 for snow handling. Last place. In non-winter conditions, it was about average.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=231
I'd pick Michelin Xice3 or the Nokian Hakkapeliitta ( https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a15102773/best-snow-tires-for-winter/ ) over a Quatrac, but Quatrac is OK if you can find a reason to buy it. The Xice3 would more directly compete with the Quatrac here, since are suitable for year-around use.

quatrac.JPG

I ran the Pirelli P7 and loved them, until about 25K, when they became like running a bald tire on wet roads. the only tire that has ever scared me (next to the rock-hard Dunlap 402 for Harleys). That is strange about the TR reviews, as most of the customer reviews are very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back