Dealer installed swirl marks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had the pleasure to take my '18 A4 to the local Audi dealer to investigate if I had a slow coolant leak. I don't have a leak but they did manage to leave the coolant reservoir dramatically overfilled. They also put her through the car wash and left those nice little swirl marks in my $2000 dollar ceramic coating. This was after I told them specifically not to wash the car. I also had the "don't wash" hangtag in the rear view mirror--tag was provided by the company who did the coating.

Here's to hoping my guy will only charge me $3-400 to buff the swirls back out. He and his partner spent the better part of 15 hrs about a year ago getting it to a pristine mirror like finish and Audi of Columbus(Ohio) totally screwed it up. Thanks guys!

I haven't even bothered to tell the dealer about the machine washing marks. I figured if they are too stupid to know any better I wouldn't get anywhere with them. I did leave a nice 1 star review on their website with a picture of the overfilled radiator reservoir though.
Mostly just venting here because of how frustrated I am....trying to get over it.

The takeaway, F Audi of Columbus!

Lesson learned, next time make sure you have a coolant leak before taking the car in.

next time put the 'do not wash' taped to the steering wheel. impossible to miss.

Another inspiring dealership story. Had same thing with my 330ci. Took it to dealer for tires, told them not to wash it, paint survived but car got parked into a concrete bump stop scarring the lower valence. I always stopped short of those things but I guess if you work with so many BMWs every day you just can't figure out how to park them. Haven't been back to a dealer for service since.

Originally Posted by dishdude
Lesson learned, next time make sure you have a coolant leak before taking the car in.

Seriously?
Make sure I have a coolant leak before I take it in... [censored]!. Sure let me pressure test the system then I'll diagnose if there is really and leak and where it is coming from, then I'll look up the part number that is causing the problem and arrive at the dealer ready to tell them exactly what part I want changed under warranty.
OR
Maybe they can just do their [censored] job!

Originally Posted by Reddy45
next time put the 'do not wash' taped to the steering wheel. impossible to miss.

There will not be a next time.

I do all maintenance myself anyway. Would be nice to have someone reliable for warranty work though.

Originally Posted by Cardiobuck

Seriously?
Make sure I have a coolant leak before I take it in... [censored]!. Sure let me pressure test the system then I'll diagnose if there is really and leak and where it is coming from, then I'll look up the part number that is causing the problem and arrive at the dealer ready to tell them exactly what part I want changed under warranty.
OR
Maybe they can just do their [censored] job!

You have a leak or you don't. If you can't trust them to not wash your car or not overfill the reservoir, how can you trust them to tell you it's not leaking?

So yes, you need to be a little more certain that something is wrong before taking it in.

If you haven't even asked them to fix it or pay to fix it what is the point of complaining? They will fix it, if not file in small claims court. Easy. Most likely will settle before ever going to court.

Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
If you haven't even asked them to fix it or pay to fix it what is the point of complaining? They will fix it, if not file in small claims court. Easy. Most likely will settle before ever going to court.

The point of complaining? This is a forum, that's what we do here.

As for a lawsuit, I can't prove they put the swirl marks there and overfilling the rad reservoir has not damaged the car. I'll just siphon some back out.

What I want to do is have a little alone time with the crew there. We all take a walk out back and a few minutes later one of us has the physical ability to walk back in. We can find out who when we get there. Where I come from that is how it's done but now I'm all grown up, educated, and live in proper society where we post on forums and leave bad google reviews. I'm afraid to go back in because believe me my friend I don't trust myself not to turn the place upside down. I have more to lose than they do.

It was my mistake to go there. Lesson learned: the bad google review can at least help others' avoid the same fate.

I would have asked to discuss it with the service manager - it is likely he would have made good on paying for a detail. You're pouting. Stop doing that, and handle the problem.

The car should have been looked over at pick-up and the issue addressed then and there.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
I would have asked to discuss it with the service manager - it is likely he would have made good on paying for a detail. You're pouting. Stop doing that, and handle the problem.

The car should have been looked over at pick-up and the issue addressed then and there.

Swirl marks aren't damage. They aren't a scratch or dent and most people would never notice and it's nothing that would be noted on a damage report. If you're this picky about your car (I am) you need to be cautious about who you hand your car over to. I lyft or bike to restaurants with valet, and for some crazy reason that's a thing around here.

Swirl marks aren't damage. They aren't a scratch

They absolutely are scratches, and they are in an expensive ceramic coating in this case.

OP:

I feel your pain and share your outrage.

That said, you should have said something when you picked up the car. Had it been my car and had I noticed it had been washed against my explicit instructions, I would have gone over it with a fine toothed comb before leaving the dealership.

At this point I suggest immediately scheduling and paying the $400 to have your guy correct the paint. It will be worth the money. You need to move on from this ASAP.

Scott

They absolutely are scratches, and they are in an expensive ceramic coating in this case.

If you sold, returned a lease, rental car, shipped a car, etc...swirl marks would never be noted on any condition report.

If you sold, returned a lease, rental car, shipped a car, etc...swirl marks would never be noted on any condition report.

Curious to know your thoughts if the factory fresh paint on your new SRT came back with swirl marks after a visit to the dealership.

Scott

Originally Posted by SLO_Town

Curious to know your thoughts if the factory fresh paint on your new SRT came back with swirl marks after a visit to the dealership.

Scott

I'd be ticked! And that's my point - it'll never go in unless I'm certain something is wrong. They've been nagging me to bring it back for a recall, that ain't happening.

OP took in because he thought he had a coolant leak, but for some reason believes them when they tell him he doesn't even though they screwed up his paint and overfilled the reservoir in the process.

Scott

I'd be ticked! And that's my point - it'll never go in unless I'm certain something is wrong. They've been nagging me to bring it back for a recall, that ain't happening.

OP took in because he thought he had a coolant leak, but for some reason believes them when they tell him he doesn't even though they screwed up his paint and overfilled the reservoir in the process.

I guess I must be missing something. It sounded to me like you thought swirl marks weren't paint damage.

One day you will have to take your SRT back to the dealership for something. After two years of putting it off I finally did it for my museum quality 2003 BMW - the Takata airbag recall. I interviewed three dealerships before finally selecting one. Fortunately, the dealership I selected did a great job and did the recall while I waited (and watched).

Regardless, show the OP a little love. He's angry just like you and I would be had it happened to our cars.

Scott

Scott

I guess I must be missing something. It sounded to me like you thought swirl marks weren't paint damage.

One day you will have to take your SRT back to the dealership for something. After two years of putting it off I finally did it for my museum quality 2003 BMW - the Takata airbag recall. I interviewed three dealerships before finally selecting one. Fortunately, the dealership I selected did a great job and did the recall while I waited (and watched).

Regardless, show the OP a little love. He's angry just like you and I would be had it happened to our cars.

Scott

Point taken and agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back