Vehicle shopping for son

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son will turn 17 this summer. He has been driving on the road since turning 16 last summer. He's been driving his grandpa's '87 Golf since. That's the car he himself, with very little help from me, got going after the car had been in storage for years. Son's going off to university on the other coast this coming fall and I want him to have a new vehicle. He'll be out of my sight for months at a time and if he were driving a new vehicle in to him unknown territories it would make me feel better. The kid loves the outdoors and after looking at all offerings, I am leaning towards a RAV 4 Hybrid, which is going to be available this spring. It gets great gas mileage, has a nice interior, enough utility, and comes hopefully with Toyota reliability. I talked to him about a new car and he didn't seem very interested. He did say if someone gives him any new car, he'll take it. Going to uni means less time for tinkering and keeping an old hooptie running, and he knows it. Would any current RAV4 owner like to add any relevant information?

I actually like the 2019 Toyota RAV4 aesthetically, it didn't instantly lull me to sleep just by looking at it... driving dynamics are another thing.

Grand Cherokee's are also very nice. 8 speed with the v6 gets pretty good gas mileage. We will be buying one in the next month.

. driving dynamics are another thing.

Gotta agree on that. If he was actually liking the Golf, he may hate the RAV4. I have not driven the current gen, but we had a prior one (as a company car) and it was terrible. Could not wait to get rid of it. I am in general a Toyota and Lexus fan, but that was awful.

Make sure whatever is purchased, he has buy-in on - that he likes it and enjoys driving it. I am going through this now with my 15 yo step-son, trying to find the mix of safe/economical/enjoyable for him for the future.

Lastly, if he's not "very interested" in a new car as you said, then get a CPO or recent used. Save the massive depreciation. It will likely be as equally reliable and possibly more, cheaper to insure, and less of a pain when the inevitable earlier driver dings, scrapes, and issues come up.

Hybrids don't usually make sense for financial reasons. The extra cost will take 20+ years to pay back.

I don't see that a used car has to be a hooptie. A 2012 or so regular RAV4 would be a great car for him.

You'll get a lot more car for your money if you consider sedans. Agreed a used hybrid isn't a great idea.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Hybrids don't usually make sense for financial reasons. The extra cost will take 20+ years to pay back.

I don't see that a used car has to be a hooptie. A 2012 or so regular RAV4 would be a great car for him.

X2. I don't understand why anyone would buy a kid a new car. They don't learn a thing about real life.

My daughter will be 24 in a few months. Her first car was a 1989 Cherokee and then a 1994 Olds Cutlass Ciera.
She learned to budget and was able to move off campus while working and paying for her own school.
We bought her a 2015 Chrysler 200 with only 28K for $12K last year and she loves it. She appreciates it knowing the stories of my first car - 1975 AMC Matador.

There are plenty of lower cost, but yet reliable, options for your kid.
I work in Boston. If your kid goes to school here, a new car is going to get beat to crap.

Coming up on 5 years with the '14 RAV4 XLE with no issues in 54K miles. The main complaints of the gen 4.4 were harsh ride and road noise that were addressed in MY2015. We made many 450 mile/ 8 hour trips to Ca when daughter lived there and found the seats fine for all day driving and it drives fine. Is it a Mustang or GTI...of course not it's a CUV. The 2.5 is no powerhouse but you put your foot down it revs and gets the job done. Can't comment on the tech package as we don't use any of it. Because of the sloping hood design you can't see any of the hood so the front end is a guess and the fender crease is high at the A pillar somewhat restricting your view off the right fender. Maybe this latest gen is different. It's not an exciting car but it's not something I can't wait to get rid of either. I'm doing a 75 mile/day commute now and can't fault anything.

I can see an 18 yr old male liking this styling a lot more that what we have. The Adventure model would probably suit a guy more but might not be available as a hybrid.

rav4world.com is the most popular forum.

OP didn't seem to be asking financial or parental advice but also have to wonder about a hybrid. Cost offsets better mileage for quite a few years but they are awd and have more power.

We have about the same mileage on our 2015 Rav 4 Limited and have had zero reliability issues. That being said, if he doesn't need the cargo space of a CUV you will get a lot more bang for your buck with a sedan.

I bought both of my kids a new car when they were 15. That way we drove with them for nearly a year to supervise and educate them. I also wanted a car with up to date safety equipment. If I had it to do over again, at least one of them would of had a cuv or truck to help haul stuff back and forth to school. Both went to the same school.
I wound up going to the school and leaving a truck or suv with my son to move out of the dorms each year they were in one.

New car at college might get damaged. College kids tend to be careless with other peoples vehicles and do not care what they do to your new car. Personally I would go used and might just ask him what his dream car would be to get a better idea. Might even be a great bonding experience to take him along and let him feel involved in the buying decision.

I am from the other coast.. i too like the outdoors.. and i too went to college here. Rav4 hybrid doesnt tick any boxes for me if i put my college ball cap back on..

For about the same cost.. i would rather Dad get me this..

[Linked Image]

Considering as how this vehicle will likely be taken on a few adventures as he explores the East coast, I'd want a crossover or truck that has some ability to take him where he wants to go but at the same time isn't fast enough to get him in trouble. I'd take a look at the Mazda CX-5, Hyundai Tucson, Jeep Cherokee and like you said Toyota Rav4. Cherokee being the standout for off-road ability, CX-5 the stand out for driving dynamics.

He already knows how to tear down this Golf and fix it. Let him keep it.

He also told you he does. not. want. a new car. Sounds like you're forcing it on him. He's leaving the nest, let him leave.

Just let him know the money's there if the VW becomes a time/ money pit.

I look at people that drive $55k SUVs and think that they set their initial expectations too high when they first get their license, and then only inflate them from there, "because I had that cute ute in college and now deserve something better now that I'm married & working."

tl;dr status quo

Since he's not interested, why not let him keep the Golf until he realizes it is done? Plus repairs are probably going to be less expensive than new.

But if new small SUV is where you are headed, check out a Mazda CX-5. Great driving dynamics for what it is, same size as Rav4 and Mazda has developed reliability over the last 10 years or so.

Originally Posted by Zaedock
Originally Posted by Nick1994

X2. I don't understand why anyone would buy a kid a new car. They don't learn a thing about real life.

My daughter will be 24 in a few months. Her first car was a 1989 Cherokee and then a 1994 Olds Cutlass Ciera.
She learned to budget and was able to move off campus while working and paying for her own school.
We bought her a 2015 Chrysler 200 with only 28K for $12K last year and she loves it. She appreciates it knowing the stories of my first car - 1975 AMC Matador.

There are plenty of lower cost, but yet reliable, options for your kid.
I work in Boston. If your kid goes to school here, a new car is going to get beat to crap.

I bought a orange 1973 Chevy Luv for $400 from my paper route money the summer before I turned 16. I spent that summer pulling dents and learning how to use bondo. My parents spent $100 and had it painted for my 16th birthday. I didn't realize it at the time but it was an experience I have come to appreciate.

I would be vehicle shopping WITH HIM, not FOR HIM.

If you must go new, how about a 2018 or 2019 VW Golf? They drive great, excellent MPG, 6 yr/72k bumper to bumper warranty, the practicality of a hatchback and probably $10-12,000 less than a RAV4 Hybrid. If he likes the older Golf, maybe a new one will appeal to his sense of style and taste.

Originally Posted by RamFan
Considering as how this vehicle will likely be taken on a few adventures as he explores the East coast, I'd want a crossover or truck that has some ability to take him where he wants to go but at the same time isn't fast enough to get him in trouble. I'd take a look at the Mazda CX-5, Hyundai Tucson, Jeep Cherokee and like you said Toyota Rav4. Cherokee being the standout for off-road ability, CX-5 the stand out for driving dynamics.

Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back