My Laptop is th only device that can't see the WiFi Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
This morning I went over to the laptop to check up on the latest BITOG news and my Laptop couldn't connect to my Wifi no matter what I tried. I can see all the neighbors WiFi networks except mine. Every other device in the house can see my Asus AC-5300 triband router except for my laptop.
This is what I have tried so far. (not listed in order)
1. turn the router off and on.
2. unplug router
3. reboot router
4. reset the laptops network settings
5. uninstalled Nord VPN
6. uninstalled Bitdefender
7. reboot the laptop
Connect the Laptop to the router via Cat5 cable and everything works. Disconnect the Cat5 cable and the laptop cannot see my available WiFi.
Thoughts?

Did you install / uninstall something just before this issue started happening?

Which Windows OS are you running?

If 7, go to Control Panel... Network and Sharing Center... Manage Wireless Networks... Add... Manually create a network profile.

The "power button board" above the keyboard on my laptop has a number of touch-switches, one of which turns off the wireless interface. More than once, I've inadvertently punched it with fat fingered typing. - just a thought.

Originally Posted by ag_ghost
The "power button board" above the keyboard on my laptop has a number of touch-switches, one of which turns off the wireless interface. More than once, I've inadvertently punched it with fat fingered typing. - just a thought.

He said he can see all the neighbors' WiFi networks, so his wireless interface is up.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Is 2.4ghz disabled in your router and your laptop only supports 2.4ghz?

Right.

In that same vein, your laptop probably has a tiny WiFi card with one (2.4GHz) or two (2.4 and 5GHz) tiny Coax antenna wires connected to it. Check it and see if one or both has disconnected.

Have you checked if you can see your wifi from another computer?

If yes, then it is the laptop.
If not, then the router wifi is bad, cable may still runs.

I had an ASUS AC3100 that went bad on the wifi functionality.
It was a refurb and only lasted 6 months before becoming paper weight.
Refurb only have 3 months warranty.

Check the router, ASUS router is good but it can go bad very fast.

Looks like the router isn't broadcasting on 2.4ghz. Did a complete reset and can only broadcast on 5ghz and Ethernet cable. Bummer. maybe Asus can be of some help.

On the bright side I did rename our wifi to something funny. Neighbors should get a kick out of it when they see it!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BobsArmory
Looks like the router isn't broadcasting on 2.4ghz. Did a complete reset and can only broadcast on 5ghz and Ethernet cable. Bummer. maybe Asus can be of some help.

On the bright side I did rename our wifi to something funny. Neighbors should get a kick out of it when they see it!

Happened to mine. Very soon, the 5GHz band is flaking out and you will be without wifi.

Get it replaced quickly if it is still within the warranty period.

I am only using the ASUS AC1900 now, the one that was sold by TMobile flashed to ASUS FW.
It is slower but works great so far almost 2 years.

Originally Posted by JMJNet

Happened to mine. Very soon, the 5GHz band is flaking out and you will be without wifi.

Get it replaced quickly if it is still within the warranty period.

I am only using the ASUS AC1900 now, the one that was sold by TMobile flashed to ASUS FW.
It is slower but works great so far almost 2 years.

I bought the same asus router on slickdeals for $40 a year ago.

I put DDWRT firmware on it, has been super reliable and fast.

You can get a tiny USB wireless adapter that goes in the side of the computer that is low profile. They aren't expensive.

Update: Called Asus tech support. They will gladly repair my router but since it's out of warranty I will have to pay shipping to the repair facility, pay for a diagnostic fee then pay for the repairs that are found to be needed. Approx 14 days not including shipping time. I'm guessing it will not be worth the hassle.

Update: Called Asus tech support. They will gladly repair my router but since it's out of warranty I will have to pay shipping to the repair facility, pay for a diagnostic fee then pay for the repairs that are found to be needed. Approx 14 days not including shipping time. I'm guessing it will not be worth the hassle.

Get a TP-Link. All the ones I have owned and setup for others have been flawless with excellent signal for consumer grade.

So when you log into the router, does it show that the 2.4 Ghz range is enabled, yet it is still not broadcasting on that range?

Could it be that you have set limited amount of connections on your ruter.....and now you have visitors on it....which exceeds the number of allowed connections?

Is this a windows 10 PC by chance? I'll admit I didn't read thru both pages but recently their was a windows 10 update that broke my wifi. I could connect to my wifi and see it but it would not work and would throw a windows firewall error (windows firewall being disabled) while all other devices work perfectly fine.

For me in this situation removing the update fixed the issue but it kept reoccurring as it would just auto install the next time I used the PC. I had to manually disable the auto update feature for the time being. I tried to simply make it work but nothing from reinstalling the driver's of the wifi car (PCE AC88) purging the IP, etc I tried and at the end of the day the only solution was to uninstall the update and it would work fine. My wifi card is Asus however and Asus typically use the same parts inside their wireless modems.

The wifi card does not have native Linux support but the modem does and uses the same chip and someone was able to mod the firmware of the router to work with the wifi card. It could be the update is just conflicting with the modem. My issue started at the first of the month.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
So when you log into the router, does it show that the 2.4 Ghz range is enabled, yet it is still not broadcasting on that range?

2.4Ghz is enabled but is not broadcasting. I double checked with a WiFi analyzer app on my android phone. Ordered a 5Ghz/2.4Ghz USB wireless adapter to plug into this laptop so I can limp along for a while. (only $10 on Amazon)

I'll get a new router when there is a decent selection of triband 802.11ax (WiFi 6) routers available.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back