Garmin Voices

Status
Not open for further replies.
In one of my vehicles I use a Garmin GPS that has only two English voice options, both nerve-grating and nagging. This device uses vpm voice files. I cannot find any extra voices on the Garmin site or elsewhere. With the older Garmins finding additional voices was no problem. Does anybody have a suggestion where and how to source other than Samantha and Michelle's voice?

On the garmin gps i use it has additional voices through the garmin express software that is used to update the device, this is for the hand/dash mount units, if it's a built in unit to the car then i'm not sure.

Originally Posted by vavavroom
In one of my vehicles I use a Garmin GPS that has only two English voice options, both nerve-grating and nagging. This device uses vpm voice files. I cannot find any extra voices on the Garmin site or elsewhere. With the older Garmins finding additional voices was no problem. Does anybody have a suggestion where and how to source other than Samantha and Michelle's voice?

The two voices I mentioned are the only ones available via Garmin Express. When I chose 'English' and clicked 'download' it said I already hall available voices, Samantha and Michelle is all that's there.[align:center][/align]

Originally Posted by Marco620
"Felix" is annoying. I keep Garmin sround just because of emergency.

I wish I could keep the voice always off, but sometimes I rely on it.

Try garmin webupdater instead!

If you still wont be successfull let me know and I will share all english.vpn files from my garmin(s)...

I was able to download one more voice, a nameless British one, through Webupdater. When I plugged the GPS into the vehicle, a pop-up said the power supply was nor compatible with Traffic Updates. The power supply is the correct one and Traffic Updates used to work just fine. I wonder if removing the new voice is sufficient, or if I should reset the GPS.

Store your favourites (and your travel logs if you need them ) before you would do reset....

Which nuvi is that? I find it a little odd that you can download only one english language
smile.gif
My nuvis have a bunch of them....US to UK english.....plus some english in different dialects...

Originally Posted by vavavroom
I wonder if removing the new voice is sufficient, or if I should reset the GPS.

The advice of my colleagues (GPS freaks) is.....whatever you tweak or change inside your garmin.....just leave English voices alone.....without them garmin doesnt function right!
As a precaution I always keep them all (most probablly that "nameless" would suffice...BUT!!!
smile.gif
)
You can wipe every other language you dont need.....and save some 100++ Mb space on your nuvi....

Last edited:
I have all available English voices on my Nuvi: Samantha, Michelle, anonymous British voice. I did not delete any English voice. And yet installing the anonymous British voice makes my GPS believe the power supply is not compatible with Traffic Updates. It does have an antenna.

Empty your \VOICE folder somewhere safe on your computer....

Then try to update your voices (ALL English ones plus those you want/like...) via webupdater or garmin express.....and have a look if that glitch is still there...

Last edited:
The Traffic feature works again without me having done anything. Maybe the service was down temporarily. About the three voices that I have, the two that came with the device and the one available through Garmin Webupdater: Having only three voices available is ridiculous. I moved one voice file from an older Nuvi to the voice folder in the new device, and although it's the same file type, the newer Garmin says "audio not compatible." I would like to divorce Samantha, Michelle and the anonymous Brit!

OK....
I am glad to hear that your TMC glich has been resloved (by itself)....I still dont know which nuvi you have.....if it is older device maybe it just doesnt support TTS (text to speech) voice files.... But than again....why would webupdater offer it then....

Nevertheless...here you have my English voices from my nuvi 2405.....make backup copy of your original \Voice folder for "just in case" scenario....and try my voices...maybe it will work maybe it wont....

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5yep8l37mf4w9ec/AACAYRCTg7KPb6fbwohDUu0Ha?dl=0

*.sum & *.vpm files of the same name goes together ( some files are without corresponding *.sum file...dunno why!)

Last edited:
Thanks for letting me download your files. I keep getting "audio incompatible." My device is a Nuvi 2639. I'll ask on a Garmin forum for advice.

As it turns out my Nuvi requires not just any vpm voice file but one that's also TTS3. Not all vpm files are TTS3. I finally have a bearable voice on my Nuvi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back