I've got a confession....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having been accused of being a buggy whipper in the EV threads...and no, Electric Semis and F150s STILL make no sense, I've bought an electric mower and trimmer...specifically a BATTERY electric mower and trimmer.

"OZITO" are the home brand for one of the major hardware chains down here...Chinesium, sold globally under a variety of brand names.

I like them because they...well, are cheap.

Asides from that, I prefer the way that the battery docks, and that they have a range of accessories for them.

20190209_111858.jpg

20190209_111515.jpg

Last edited:
Specifically, this mower...apologies for the German, but haven't found an Oz version...

Very light compared to my gassers...do the entire yard with 2 of the three power bars remaining on the battery, and no "tingly" hands afterwards.

It's not for everyone, and everyone's yards, but does mine fine.

I switched from the 2-stroke weed whacker a few years ago and bought a Black & Decker Li-ion battery powered unit.
It works very well, is light, and can do the trimming in my 1/2-acre yard on less than one charge.
The batteries hold their charge very well over periods of long storage.
The trimmer cam with an extra battery, so I switch the batteries after a couple of uses, and I always have a fresh one available if I need it.

Sold the gas powered weed wacker. I like my 20 V 5 Amp Hour Li-Ion Dewalt trimmer. It's kind of ridiculous but my power here in BC is derived from Hydro dams as is over 90 % of the province, The next big step is an electric mower but my gas mower is still pretty new. The town down the road has a 1 MW solar installation. Not holding my breath on that one.

Last edited:
I just bought a Milwaukee blower - the small one, and since getting it I haven't fired off my old 2 stroke. It does everything well. Uses the 18v 5a battery. As well as this thing works, and, as well as I like it, I have a suspicion there will be more and more of this battery powered stuff incorporated into my life. The air powered tools are already gone, what's next? Perhaps the car....

I've had corded electric mowers for many years...quiet and grunty. But hard to find in 18'', most are smaller and not much use. A friend of mine got a couple of 18v garden tools...a weedeater and hedge trimmer. What's cool is the head of the weedeater tilts, so you can adjust it all ways...tilt it down and do the edges. The hedge trimmer has extentions, a couple of 1 metre jobs, so you can extend it to 2m metres to trim the weeds in the spouting. You can fit them to the weedeater too, so you can trim the neighbours yard without going over there.

I really need to step up to 18v, at work and home, but it's a lot of money and I've got all the stuff I need.

No support group needed. You guys bought the equipment that best meets your needs. That's what men do. Now make sure your batteries are charged or charging, hold your head high, and carry on.

The "hand full of bees" is thinking about the fact that between my wife, two daughter-in-laws, and the addition of two more granddaughters between now and August to the already existing 3 granddaughters under age 7 at any family function... now THAT is a handful of bees
lol.gif

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
The "hand full of bees" is thinking about the fact that between my wife, two daughter-in-laws, and the addition of two more granddaughters between now and August to the already existing 3 granddaughters under age 7 at any family function... now THAT is a handful of bees
lol.gif

I wear a little brass bee around my neck to remind me of my station.

Go out every day to gather the pollen to keep all he bills paid, lights on, and heat.

No need to confess a thing. Electric is very nice with the right sized yard. No messing with gas and 2 stroke fuel. 1 battery for a mower, weed eater and leaf blower.

The only uncertainty I can think of is battery life. I briefly looked at the Stihl branded offerings and the batteries were pricey.

I tried a Greenworks Digipro 40V and was sorely disappointed. Pulled my 20 year old Makita with the 2 stroke Robin on it and got it going. For my needs over 1 acre and some tough brush along the woods it works way better. I was hoping and really need to sell the Greenworks only used it twice and did not fill my needs. Glad the battery power worked out for you but in my case it did not.

For many applications electric/battery makes sense. I have a few friends with smaller yards that require maybe 5-10 minutes of trimming. A 2-stroke weed trimmer and associated mix/fuel/problems just doesn't make sense and isn't worth the hassle and in many cases additional cost.

I have battery impact tools that don't have quite the power my air impact has, but suit 95% of my needs and don't require dragging an air hose.

Last summer I was house sitting for a friend who has a small flat lawn and a push reel mower. I have to say that the push mower workout was a lot more enjoyable without the noise and breathing in exhaust fumes. Had there been more hills I'd opt for the gas mower though.

Originally Posted by Garak
I could manage with a battery mower. I haven't seen a lot of battery snowblowers offered, though.
wink.gif

LOL, certainly not with the recent "revelations" about range reduction in arctic conditions.

Yes, I can't see it being too practical. Now, if it were in my heated garage and I were doing a quick pass along the sidewalk, that might be fine. Get a thick falling, and the temperatures we've had lately, and the average person here who has either only an ordinary, unheated garage or just a shed, and things wouldn't be very promising.

Look at my neighbour that I've mentioned here many times in gratitude. When we got dumped on again here recently during that stretch where it went to -40, he blew my sidewalk and driveway, as always, plus his, plus the entire street. It was -27 C when he did it, which was the high for that day. His garage isn't heated. With a battery operated blower, he would have been sunk before he started.

Originally Posted by Y_K
Push-mower for anything under 2 acres here, and we are old

Are you kidding? I see on youtube, guys with 300SF front yards and maybe a thousand SF backyards mowing with 52" zero turns. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back