2007 GL320 CDI-6k on Fuchs 5/40 93k on unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I guess the 642 like to throw some iron around. I was wondering if my tune had something to do with the higher numbers, but its not really much worse than whats on the board already. Im going to resample with the M1 0/30 I put in to see any difference, but I doubt it. Well see in a year. Overall Im very pleased with the truck, 19 mpg over 6300 miles, avg speed is 28 mph. Feels very solid, and happy with the 4-5 mpg increase over the X3 that it replaced. Over the summer I saw a 24.3 mpg average over 200 miles from a quick trip to the shore and back, which made me very happy. Cant wait for our annual trip down to Smith Mountain Lake!

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 42
That's worse than my ‘09 TDI. Must have high EGR flow. If it's anything like my old VW, install a magnetic drain plug, you'll be shocked at how much iron it picks up.

Green Diesel does tunes for the 642 that eliminates EGR and the issues it causes. A good tune and a quality CJ-4 5w40 oil will greatly improve those wear numbers.

Yes its been tuned for about 2000 miles now, saw a 2-4 mpg increase in economy. Next run Ill go with the TDT or T6....actually its only been about 350 miles since I changed it, would it be better to just switch it now?

Last edited:
Yes I use a solid dose of Redline Diesel Fuel Catalyst or the 85+ with almost every tank. I like to see if the better fuels without any additive like Shell or Sunoco diesel give me any gains as opposed to the no name with an additive. Usually not, except I can say the engine is a bit quieter with the brand name as opposed to no name no additive. Id say probably 80% of the time I run one.

Some diesel fuel additives contain lots of iron. Not sure if the ones you use do or not. The iron is a catalyst that promotes more efficient burning of the diesel fuel in the chambers.

One reason some UOAs have very high iron is because of using diesel fuel additives that contain iron.

Last edited:
Iron isn't normally in most diesel fuel additives. I believe FPC and enerburn use ferrocene or ferrous picrate which does contribute iron to the oil sample. Most don't.

I'm not familiar with the redline product. But my Jetta had wear numbers just like yours. I added a can of Liqui Moly MoS2 and they improved but it was still high with low-saps oil. Lots of iron on the drain plug too. Glad I got rid of that car.

M1 TDT, Redline 5w40, Amsoil ACD or AME, Ravenol NDT, Kendall SHP 5w40 or RLI 5w40 should give better performance in addition to the GDE tune.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AZjeff
Curious if the cost of the Redline additive is offset by better mileage?

I'm my experience the 8000 mi using an additive increased the average MPGs by 0.6 MPGs. At $0.10/gal for the additive I don't think there is any gain, a break-even or loss.

Additives have a greater effect on poorer quality fuels, so the outcome is different based on source. If you only have D2 available that meets the federal minimum of 40 CN the fuel can be greatly improved by a good additive. If you live in CA or TX then not so much...

Last edited:
Fuchs TITAN GT1 5W-40 (SN, C3, 229.31)
When you will write FULL description
confused2.gif

Fuch 5-40
Fuchs TITAN Supersyn Longlife 5W-40 (SN, A3/B4, 229.5)
Fuchs TITAN Supersyn 5W-40 (SN, A3/B4, 229.3)
Fuchs TITAN GT1 PRO GAS 5W-40 (SM, C3, 229.31)

Originally Posted by Gubkin
When you will write FULL description
confused2.gif

Fuch 5-40
Fuchs TITAN Supersyn Longlife 5W-40 (SN, A3/B4, 229.5)
Fuchs TITAN Supersyn 5W-40 (SN, A3/B4, 229.3)
Fuchs TITAN GT1 PRO GAS 5W-40 (SM, C3, 229.31)

None of those, it was the GT1 XTL 5/40.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FUCHS-Titan-5w-40-Litre-Engine-x/dp/B00OB7CVU0

I do it more so for pump wear, the additional fuel mileage is just a bonus. I own a shop too, so Im paying less than 5$ per bottle of additive, redline says maintenance dose is about 1 oz per 6 gallons, or about 3 tanks per bottle. Less than 1.75 per tank, about 7 cents a gallon at that rate. Still about 15-25 cents cheaper per gallon than Shell/Sunoco, and when you take 25-28 gallons it adds up. Its hard to compare apples to apples in terms of economy boost, if my wife takes the truck she like to let it warm up for at least 5 minutes, killing any gains. Im usually idling less than 2 minutes to warm it. Like I said, Ive noticed that when we run the no name with no additive, the truck does seem a bit louder at 2000 rpm when on any type of moderate throttle input. Maybe when I go to SML Ill do no name with additives down, and brand name on the way back. 475 miles should give a good idea.

Originally Posted by CleverUserName

I'm my experience the 8000 mi using an additive increased the average MPGs by 0.6 MPGs. At $0.10/gal for the additive I don't think there is any gain, a break-even or loss.

Additives have a greater effect on poorer quality fuels, so the outcome is different based on source. If you only have D2 available that meets the federal minimum of 40 CN the fuel can be greatly improved by a good additive. If you live in CA or TX then not so much...

All we get is D2 around here, I cant find anything with a higher Cetane than 40. One Exxon advertises Exxon Premium Diesel, but I have no research to back up what theyre selling. 75 cents more per gallon as well, meaning an additional 20$ fill at 1/4 tank!

Originally Posted by Gubkin
Originally Posted by Audios
Gubkin said:
None of those, it was the GT1 XTL 5/40.

XTL it's not name. It's tecnology
ITS Fuchs TITAN GT1 5W-40 (SN, C3, 229.31)
33.gif

Are you going to bring anything to the convo besides harping on my typo? The oil obviously was in spec and was ordered by VIN with confirmed 229.51 on the back of it before I put it in. Its spelled tecHnology btw, typos suck. But thanks for your comments, very helpful.

Originally Posted by Audios
Originally Posted by CleverUserName

All we get is D2 around here, I cant find anything with a higher Cetane than 40. One Exxon advertises Exxon Premium Diesel, but I have no research to back up what theyre selling. 75 cents more per gallon as well, meaning an additional 20$ fill at 1/4 tank!

Most European diesels built in the 21st are designed to run on higher cetane diesel. The VW 1.9 TDI is for 50 cetane fuel. I assume the OM642 is as well. I think there may be more fuel economy to gain if you can get D2 boosted to 50+ CN.

If the Exxon product doesn't advertise the fuel's properties I wouldn't use it. And it's very expensive.

You also may not be adding enough redline product to get to the magic number of 50. The strongest additive I know about, TDR-FL will raise cetane 5-7 points at 400:1 dosage. It works out to $0.10/gallon if purchased in bulk.

The Redline product literature says it will raise cetane 3-9 points if dosed at 320:1. That's basically a 12 oz bottle per 30 gallon tank of fuel. That breaks down to $0.17/gallon at your wholesale cost of $5/bottle for the Redline.

Thanks for the break down, at .17 a gallon it puts me right in the range of brand name, but with lower cetane. Once Im through this tank of Shell, Ill go no name with a full bottle and see how what kind of results we can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back