Upgrade to 4K UHD, Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by alarmguy
the new ATSC 3.0 standard will be compatible with old TVs forever.

Negative. It is NOT compatible with old TVs unless an external ATSC 3.0 tuner is employed.
Believe it or not, like it or not, ATSC 3.0 is definitely coming. The FCC approved the standard last year and ATSC 3.0 broadcasts will begin by next year in larger markets. https://www.tvtechnology.com/atsc3/atsc-3-0-one-year-on-are-broadcasters-ready. At this point, how soon it actually supplants ATSC 1.0 is speculation, but it likely will WITHIN the next decade.
You are underestimating consumer demand for the product alarmguy. When consumers can actually see true 4k programming on their 4k TVs over free OTA channels, and, when they can watch free OTA channels on their smart phones and tablets (when equipped with ATSC 3.0 tuners) without using data, even in moving vehicles (something that isn't possible with ATSC 1.0), the party will be over for ATSC 1.0. It won't be a matter of IF, but WHEN. It is already fully deployed in Korea.
I reiterate, personally, I would not spend big money on a new TV right now, not when ATSC 3.0 tuner equipped TVs are so close to being marketed.

Originally Posted by wag123
Originally Posted by alarmguy
the new ATSC 3.0 standard will be compatible with old TVs forever.

Negative. It is NOT compatible with old TVs unless an external ATSC 3.0 tuner is employed.
Believe it or not, like it or not, ATSC 3.0 is definitely coming. The FCC approved the standard last year and ATSC 3.0 broadcasts will begin by next year in larger markets. https://www.tvtechnology.com/atsc3/atsc-3-0-one-year-on-are-broadcasters-ready. At this point, how soon it actually supplants ATSC 1.0 is speculation, but it likely will WITHIN the next decade.
You are underestimating consumer demand for the product alarmguy. When consumers can actually see true 4k programming on their 4k TVs over free OTA channels, and, when they can watch free OTA channels on their smart phones and tablets (when equipped with ATSC 3.0 tuners) without using data, even in moving vehicles (something that isn't possible with ATSC 1.0), the party will be over for ATSC 1.0. It won't be a matter of IF, but WHEN. It is already fully deployed in Korea.
I reiterate, personally, I would not spend big money on a new TV right now, not when ATSC 3.0 tuner equipped TVs are so close to being marketed.

Thank you for confirming my posts /// you will not have to change tuners or need a new one because the Federal Government is not mandiating any change to the TV Broadcast system in the USA.
Its gotten so crazy that companies who produce TVs are pushing the newest standards, yet there is NO material for the TVs.

Lets take 4K. Im talking T-R-U-E 4K TV and movies. Where can you get it? ALMOST NO PLACE. Can I rent a 4K movie at Red Box? No, only if you live in a major city, if not you have to settle for standard Blu Ray, which even then, is sometimes hard to rent because people still find DVDs acceptable.

Streaming 4k, pay TV 4 K? Again, acceptable but NOT true 4k , just dumbed down 4k, but again acceptable.

Want to know the best TV picture I get? Besides a TRUE 4K Blu Ray disc?
Best picture I get is broadcast TV from the major stations through my attic antenna and upscaled by my excellent Sony x900F TV. Freaking amazing 3 D like image.

So why is that? 1080 and 720 OTA signals seem to have more program information for the image to be upscaled then compressed Pay TV and Streaming program information.
That is my theory anyway.

Bottom line, we are a decade away and there is always another standard, others are preaching that 8K TV is now in Korea, who cares? Americans dont or they wouldnt settle for crappy compressed pay TV or streaming signals or non 4K discs.
Im not one to settle but its a battle getting good true 4k material vs, make believe 4k .. and the average consumer is happy with their current picture quality.

Just look at the way music reproduction has gone, from CD and DVD quality to crappy MP3s and now worse, streaming, both the later are clearly inferior but more then acceptable to the general population, never mind the garbage music systems they are played back on, yet, good enough, people dont care anymore.

Last edited:
Even if you buy a new TV now and everything does go ATSC 3.0, you can just buy an external tuner instead of a whole new TV.

The entire broadcasting industry asked the FCC to make ATSC 3.0 voluntary as they wouldn't be given transition channels like they got when everything went from analog to digital. If I was a gambling man I'd bet my money on it not being mandatory in even the next decade.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Even if you buy a new TV now and everything does go ATSC 3.0, you can just buy an external tuner instead of a whole new TV.

The entire broadcasting industry asked the FCC to make ATSC 3.0 voluntary as they wouldn't be given transition channels like they got when everything went from analog to digital. If I was a gambling man I'd bet my money on it not being mandatory in even the next decade.

2020 ATSC 3 will be available on the set at least, Korea's had it over a year.

If nothing else I would time my tv purchase for 2020 since more deals are to be had when new tech is displacing the old 8k will be out in greater numbers as well

I upgraded to a 4K monitor but it's gonna be a while before I upgrade to a 4K TV, although the new OLED's makes it so enticing to upgrade. Video games and digital content will look so much better than on a LCD 4K monitor.

LG, Samsung, and Sony are currently manufacturing and selling TVs with dual ATSC 3.0/ATSC 1.0 tuners, all they need to do is export them here. TV's equipped with ATSC 3.0 tuners should be here next fall, in time for the Christmas buying season. External ATSC 3.0 tuners should be available for sale by this time next year.

Originally Posted by Kibitoshin
I upgraded to a 4K monitor but it's gonna be a while before I upgrade to a 4K TV, although the new OLED's makes it so enticing to upgrade. Video games and digital content will look so much better than on a LCD 4K monitor.

Those OLEDS are amazing, but after having a Samsung Galaxy S8 (the worst phone I have ever owned, ditched it for an iPhone 8) I'm very very leery on OLED. Mine burned in in just under a year, and I never kept it on any static images.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back