Mobil 1 EP 5w-30, 5,000 miles, Colorado 3.6L LFX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings Everyone,

First time poster here, but I have been on the site and found some useful information several times before. I have a 2015 Colorado pickup (49,000 miles) with the 3.6L V6. It is a GDI engine, which I know can mean increased fuel dilution. I have a 20 minute drive to and from work each day. In the cold Michigan winter, I have often suspected that 20 mins might not be enough time for fuel in the oil to burn off. My OLM must suspect the same, as it gets down to 10% or so after about 4,500 miles. Note, I rarely idle the vehicle for more than a minute or two. I decided to get a UOA to see how things would look.

Forgive me, as I did read the thread on how to post UOA's, but I seem to be struggling with the "code" method. I will simply summarize, as follows:

Oil is 5w-30 Mobil 1 EP, 5,000 miles on the oil

Fuel % is 2.5, "should be" below 2
SUS viscosity at 210F is 52.0, should be 55-63
cSt viscosity at 100C is 7.87, should be 8.8-11.3
Flashpoint is 335, should be >385

Everything else seemed normal. The comments on the OUA indicated the fuel dilution was beyond what is normally attributed to short trips, but that the engine was "wearing fine" and the fuel therefore doesn't seem to be causing damage. It warned me to make sure my oil level doesn't rise (I got ~6 quarts out on the last change). It concluded a 5k interval was fine to stick with, and that it was "overall good".

Obviously those comments made me feel better, but I am curious if some of you would be alarmed by any of those metrics. I am very picky about taking good care of my vehicles, so I want to do right. I am new to the UOA world, and would appreciate any input.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Maybe a shorter interval in the winter months? Although, from the UOA's I have seen posted here, it doesn't seem that higher than normal fuel dilution correlates with increased engine wear.

What lab did you use? Your viscosity suggests much more fuel dilution than 2%.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by claluja
What lab did you use?

I used Blackstone Labs based on several I've seen on here before.

Originally Posted by M1Spartan
What lab did you use?

You probably have over 5% fuel dilution, based on your viscosity and flash.

Use a lab that uses gas chromatography (GC) to measure fuel dilution if you want a real value. You can't trust Blackstone allegations on fuel dilution, as they don't actually measure it.

Based on UOAs I've seen, some engines can handle 5% fuel dilution without undue wear, and some can't. Just need to keep an eye on that and be aware of the issue. Some say using 93 octane can reduce fuel dilution - do some searching on here for that if you're interested.

Last edited:
What lab did you use?

Use a lab that uses gas chromatography (GC) to measure fuel dilution if you want a real value. You can't trust Blackstone allegations on fuel dilution, as they don't actually measure it.

Based on UOAs I've seen, some engines can handle 5% fuel dilution without undue wear, and some can't. Just need to keep an eye on that and be aware of the issue. Some say using 93 octane can reduce fuel dilution - do some searching on here for that if you're interested.

Will do, thanks for the information! I do use 89 octane instead of 87, exclusively. I'll look into one of the other labs at the next 5,000.

What lab did you use?

What lab would be good for fuel dilution?

welcome2.gif
new member!

There is likely way more fuel than 2% in there.

You didn't post your wear metals, but we'll presume they are fine or you would have said otherwise.

Also, despite the heresy this suggestion will invoke, I recommend you just use conventional oil. 5k miles on M1 EP is a total waste of money. If the fuel dilution is going to drive you (pardon the pun) to shorter OCIs, then using any manner of synthetic oil is a utter waste of oil. Realizing the vehicle is still under OEM warranty for a little while, and you're not likely to extend your OCIs; just use inexpensive API approved dino oil and save yourself a ton of cash.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by zeke1985
What lab did you use?

What lab would be good for fuel dilution?

Polaris (Oil Analyzers) is an example.

Wear metals are as follows, with universal averages in the parentheses. I really appreciate the feedback thus far, everyone. It is clear that I have high level of fuel dilution. How uncomfortable would that fuel dilution make most of you? Blackstone indicated my 5k interval was fine, but I am tempted to reduce, at least in the winter.

Let me know what you think of these wear metals. They indicated no concerns.

ALUMINUM - 7 (4)
CHROMIUM - 0 (0)
IRON - 19 (19)
COPPER - 5 (8)
LEAD - 0 (0)
TIN - 0 (0)
MOLYBDENUM - 70 (78)
NICKEL - 0 (0)
MANGANESE - 1 (1)
SILVER - 0 (0)
TITANIUM - 0 (1)
POTASSIUM - 2 (3)
BORON - 36 (44)
SILICON - 7 (14)
SODIUM - 6 (34)
CALCIUM - 1039 (1676)
MAGNESIUM - 652 (319)
PHOSPHORUS - 646 (679)
ZINC - 756 (781)
BARIUM - 0 (0)

Blackstone needs to adjust their universal averages.
For instance;
The universal average for Calcium using Mobil-1 EP 5w30 in SN Plus, is more like a 1000, not 1600.

Last edited:
Using a 0w-40 would be called for here due to the fuel dilution. It shears & dilutes down to a 30 weight in no time at all, with some margin to work with. Your 7.87 cSt is a bit too low. Any brand of 0w40 will do fine. Note new Corvettes have gone to a 0w-40 dexos2, and you could use that one specifically, but really any 0w-40 would work here, as in the ones available at Walmart or Amazon.

Originally Posted by dnewton3
welcome2.gif
new member!

You didn't post your wear metals, but we'll presume they are fine or you would have said otherwise.

Also, despite the heresy this suggestion will invoke, I recommend you just use conventional oil. 5k miles on M1 EP is a total waste of money. If the fuel dilution is going to drive you (pardon the pun) to shorter OCIs, then using any manner of synthetic oil is a utter waste of oil. Realizing the vehicle is still under OEM warranty for a little while, and you're not likely to extend your OCIs; just use inexpensive API approved dino oil and save yourself a ton of cash.

The marketing dnewton3 the marketing!

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Using a 0w-40 would be called for here due to the fuel dilution. It shears & dilutes down to a 30 weight in no time at all, with some margin to work with. Your 7.87 cSt is a bit too low. Any brand of 0w40 will do fine. Note new Corvettes have gone to a 0w-40 dexos2, and you could use that one specifically, but really any 0w-40 would work here, as in the ones available at Walmart or Amazon.

Do all 0W-40 oils shear down, including Castrol 0W-40? How would you know? Has anyone ever posted a UOA here that conclusively discriminates between actual mechanical shear and fuel dilution?

Fuel dilution would be independent of the oil used, correct?

Last edited:
Fuel dilution is a constant in this equation that may be mildly effected by ambient temperature slightly if at all in this driving scenario.For example the driving pattern stays the same, the fuel dilution would only vary based on ambient temperatures speeding up warmup time.
The recommendation of 0w40 is good, the oil will lose viscosity due to fuel dilution. Shearing, of 0w40 has become a meme(classsic sense of social meme) here based on the behavior of a older formulation of M1 0w40 that was energy conserving. I do t think their is enough current data on current formulations to say that they "shear" a grade any,ore, with modern D.I. engines fuel does a fine job of knocking things down a grade. I would run the least expensive 0w40 or even a 10w30 SN HDEO if the vehicle doesn't require synthetics, due to the shorter OCI's. The thing is I can usually find 0w49 deals that make it as inexpensive or less expensive than then10w30 hdeo.
Originally Posted by kschachn

Do all 0W-40 oils shear down, including Castrol 0W-40? How would you know? Has anyone ever posted a UOA here that conclusively discriminates between actual mechanical shear and fuel dilution?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dnewton3
welcome2.gif
new member!

Show me a cheap conventional that is d1G2 approved, please. He is under warranty. Are you suggesting he ignore the OEM requirements?

Do all 0W-40 oils shear down, including Castrol 0W-40?
Yes. All oils shear their VM to some extent.
How would you know?
It has been an issue with oils for a long time. To educate yourself, use a search engine, or https://www.api.org/~/media/Files/Certification/Engine-Oil-Diesel/Publications/4-Trends-in-Shear-Stability-of-Automotive-Engine-Oils.pdf would give you a good summary of the facts.
Has anyone ever posted a UOA here that conclusively discriminates between actual mechanical shear and fuel dilution?
Again, fuel dilution reduces viscosity, oxidation raises viscosity, and permanent shear reduces viscosity, and they all occur to some extent in used oil. All three occur. Its ridiculous for you to think exact component contributions are available. Fuel dilution presence, driving style, engine type, all contribute to oxidation rates and VM permanent shear.
Fuel dilution creates an independent reduction in viscosity, one part of viscosity reduction. Obviously. Strange question.

Last edited:
Why the snarky response? Good to see you are back from wherever you were those two months BTW. Why you have to throw in calling me ridiculous I'm not sure, I didn't think it was a particularly ridiculous question.

I do appreciate the presentation you listed, that is informative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back