LM Ceratec to reduce engine wear

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was curious as I own a Porsche 911 which are prone to bore scoring, would something like ceratec be able to coat the rings to potentially reduce bore scoring? Seems to be a lot of good reviews but not sure how legit they are.

Thanks

Possibly. Fallout of fine additives is always a concern though, and I noticed this when I tried the stuff in our vw 2.5 some years back. Of course, some falling out if more is dispersed may not be a concern...

Their MoS2 may also be a consideration, ditto for the lubriguard bio tech, which has soluble moly.

I have a VOA of BioTech on the board. If you're really into experimenting... I would start with the Ceratec for a full OCI, then dope your oil changes with BioTech in between. That way you get the ceramic stuff on, then keep the metal parts apart with the moly, I've seen reports of MoS2 falling out of suspension, that's why I'd use the BioTech.

Originally Posted by sibhus
I was curious as I own a Porsche 911 which are prone to bore scoring, would something like ceratec be able to coat the rings to potentially reduce bore scoring? Seems to be a lot of good reviews but not sure how legit they are.

Thanks

Has the Manf. of this product published laboratory or fleet tests that definitively show it can reduce bore wear or any other wear?

Liqui Moly has a wonderful marketing department.. but I'd stick with a proven oil and get regular UOAs to monitor if you are actually damaging your engine.

A few years back Trav had posted pics about MoS2 falling out of suspension in a vehicle that wasn't driven daily, and Ceratec falling out of suspension in a compressor pump. I also heard of other cases of Ceratec falling out of suspension and deposited on the bottoms of oil pans. As a result I passed.

I know that Molakule has posted that Hy-per Lube ZRA can be effective at reducing engine wear in some situations, but I don't know enough to judge whether this is one of those situations.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
A few years back Trav had posted pics about MoS2 falling out of suspension in a vehicle that wasn't driven daily, and Ceratec falling out of suspension in a compressor pump. I also heard of other cases of Ceratec falling out of suspension and deposited on the bottoms of oil pans. As a result I passed.

I am just wondering since ceratec is supposed to be providing micro lubrication when it is dry, falling out of suspension is considered normal ?

I could see that occurring since that which was not adhering to metal has no where else to go.

Originally Posted by kr_bitog

I am just wondering since ceratec is supposed to be providing micro lubrication when it is dry, falling out of suspension is considered normal ?

Maybe Trav will see this and elaborate. I would prefer "additives" stay in suspension, especially in vehicles that aren't driven daily. To me "normal" would be something that doesn't settle into the bottom of the oil pan if the vehicle sits more than a few days.

It's supposed to attach itself to metallic surfaces so that which hasn't will just end up floating around in the oil. The packaging for Ceratec states to shake well (because it settles out), so Trav was rather observing the obvious and opining something was amiss.

Use a proper oil . Why does the bore score? From the car sitting? I remember in the 1970s ever where there were Porsches.

Think Ceratec was made for racing where high rpm and heat were at. Think a good ester based oil like motul 300v or redline oil would be a good start.

i'm not understanding what the problem with "falling out of suspension" is. from my understanding the moly will embed into the metals inside the engine...so then you might/probably will have moly that doesn't embed into the metals that "falls out of suspension", does that mean it can't get mixed up with the oil again? once u run the engine, wouldn't everything mix back up again?

Maybe Trav will see this and elaborate. I would prefer "additives" stay in suspension, especially in vehicles that aren't driven daily. To me "normal" would be something that doesn't settle into the bottom of the oil pan if the vehicle sits more than a few days.

Yes Frank you remember right. I changed the rusted pan on one (no idea why that was the only rusted part on that car) that sits all winter and found a load of MoS2 that I had been running in the bottom. It was not sludge. The problem is once its on the bottom of the pan there is no flow or agitation in that area so it just builds up. I never used it again.

I did try Ceratec in my compressor, that stuff clumped in every nook and cranny I could see even though I mixed it with the oil thoroughly prior to putting it in.
It didn't do any harm but it didn't seem to do anything beneficial either.

Originally Posted by Trav

Yes Frank you remember right. I changed the rusted pan on one (no idea why that was the only rusted part on that car) that sits all winter and found a load of MoS2 that I had been running in the bottom. It was not sludge. The problem is once its on the bottom of the pan there is no flow or agitation in that area so it just builds up. I never used it again.

I did try Ceratec in my compressor, that stuff clumped in every nook and cranny I could see even though I mixed it with the oil thoroughly prior to putting it in.
It didn't do any harm but it didn't seem to do anything beneficial either.

I'm glad I'm not losing it. I never tried Ceratec and ditched MoS2 because of your experience. Two of my three vehicles will sit, occasionally a week or more. I'm not about to take a chance.

Anything with solids is going to fall out of suspension if it sits long enough, how long exactly that is before it begins I don't know. What surprised me is the Ceratec, the compressor runs daily and for a long enough time to get the oil up to temp.
I ran MoS2 in the one car because it has a habit of wearing engine bearings under high boost, the MoS2 did not help only a thicker oil (10w60) had significant benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back