Air-filters & oxygen enrichment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Is anybody familiar with Zeolite air-filters? Zeolite minerals have been found to boost oxygen levels. Any specific manufacturer of Engine Air-filters incorporating Zeolite minerals?

Thank-you

I've heard of them being used with carbon to absorb odors, never heard of them "boosting" oxygen.

I use it in my aquarium to capture gasses from the fish going pee and poo. Im guessing they are claiming that removing other particles in the volume of air in the cylinder you make room for more O2?

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
I use it in my aquarium to capture gasses from the fish going pee and poo. Im guessing they are claiming that removing other particles in the volume of air in the cylinder you make room for more O2?

Hmmmm...

Again, how would that work? I'm guessing, it's hogwash. Let's consider the chemistry in a Rough Order of Magnitude thought experiement...

Look, every gallon of gasoline (6.3 lbs) produces 20lbs of CO2 though combination with about 14lbs of oxygen. That 14lbs of oxygen is contained (with a roughly 20% concentration) in about 75lbs of air.

So, our filter is seeing 75lbs of air, for every gallon burned.

So, removing a small percentage of that "other gasses/particles" would be adding several pounds of mass to the filter for every gallon burned.

Over the life of a filter, say, 30,000 miles, in which, say 1,000 gallons have been burned (at 30MPG) your "enriching" filter would have seen about 75,000lbs of air go through it.

And you think it's going to capture a meaningful percentage of that?

Even if it captured 1% of the "other", your filter would be holding several hundred pounds of it.

And that makes me just a tiny bit skeptical...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JustVehicleInq1
Zeolite minerals have been found to boost oxygen levels.

The MASS of air going through an engine is pretty great.

I doubt the Zeolite could increase concentrations more than .000000001% ?

Add a couple more PSI to your tires and your rolling resistance will be less, allowing for better acceleration and gas mileage!

Oxygen concentrators produce medical-use oxygen applying Zeolites (under pressure) to extract oxygen from the air.

An Indonesian University had studied how Zeolite engine air-filters boost oxygen, and influence engine performance. LINK: University of Lampung study:

https://zeolitalamlampungunila.wordpress.com/tag/air-filter/

Right-click, and scroll-down to and click - 'Translate to English.'

That is some click-bait hogwash, couldn't see any of it through all the gibberish and pop-ups, so, thanks for sending me there...

Look, Portable Oxygen Concentrators DO use zeolites to adsorb nitrogen. They're medical devices. They cost $1,500 and up, weigh about ten pounds (or more) and produce flows of about 2 liters/minute, alternating the pressure on the device to expel the nitrogen. I've seen them on airplanes. They use a lot of electricity.

OK, so, now, you want to apply this to a car?

This isn't a drop-in replacement for an air filter. You don't just put zeolite in the engine intake and expect a benefit.

You would have to scale up the POC.

So, take the engine displacement x RPM, times volumetric efficiency and you're about the flow rate of an engine. So, a 3.0 liter, at 2000RPM, with 80%VE yields about 2,400 liters/minute.

A running engine is going to be sucking down about 1,000 times what a POC puts out. Again, a ROM, based on modest RPM.

Still with me?

So, adding a POC by scaling up the technology to what an engine needs, and that could feed an engine at 90% O2 concentration would require adding several tons of mass to for a device that could produce that kind of oxygen flow.

Shoot, even adding a POC that only increases oxygen to the engine by 10%, you'll need a device that is 100 times the size of a POC. Consuming several thousands of watts of power and weighing in at over a ton.

And you think that's going to help your MPG?

Simple chemistry, and a bit of math, tells me the zeolite air filter is hogwash. Examination of how zeolites are actually used in state of the art medical devices simply confirms that conclusion.

Last edited:
Oxygen concentrators produce medical-use oxygen applying Zeolites (under pressure) to extract oxygen from the air.

An Indonesian University had studied how Zeolite engine air-filters boost oxygen, and influence engine performance. LINK: University of Lampung study:

UTILIZATION OF LAMPUNG NATURAL ZEOLITE AS AN ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY AIR BURNING ADSORBENT TO IMPROVE THE PERFORMANCE OF 4-STEP GASOLINE MOTOR VEHICLES
June 1, 2009, 2:50 pm
Filed under: Journal | Tags: Activated zeolite , water filter , Nitrogen removal , Oxygen-rich combustion
By: Harry Wardono, Ir. M.Sc.
Research Institute
Created: 2008-01-03, with 1 file (s).
Keywords: Oxygen-rich combustion, Activated zeolite, Nitrogen removal, air filter,
adsorption by zeolite.

Subject: oooooooooo
Call Number: oooooooo

References click here or http://digilib.unila.ac.id/go.php?id=laptunilapp-gdl-res-2008-harrywardo-1172

SUMMARY

Indonesia. The use of zeolite as an air adsorbent to produce air with high oxygen concentration has long been and has been carried out a lot, even now it continues to be developed. However, the application on the fuel motor is still very lacking, only limited to reducing vehicle exhaust emissions. Motorized air filters are only capable of filtering coarse particles, while natural zeolites can capture molecular / angstrom-sized particles (such as nitrogen, water vapor). By putting natural zeolite before the air filter, Wardono H. (2005a, and 2005b) has proven the ability of Lampung natural zeolite to improve fuel motor performance in the laboratory (5.68% crank power, and 8.03% fuel saving). However, so that these zeolites can be commercialized, further research is needed on moving motors (carburetor cars). Tests were carried out using 3 sizes of zeolite (1.5; 2; and 2.5 mm), 3 variations of zeolite packaging (full, half, and separate packaging), and 4 variations in the number of zeolites (100, 200, 300, and 400 grams) . The engine performance test is directed at the gasoline consumption test (the car moves on the highway and stationary) and acceleration test (0-100 km / h and 70-100 km / h), the ability of pure natural zeolite from Lampung to reduce carburetor car fuel consumption has been proven through this research. The size of zeolite has an effect on decreasing fuel consumption, where the smaller the size causes a more efficient engine operation. In addition, more zeolites provide higher fuel savings in half packages and separate packaging,

Whereas in full packaging it did not occur, the highest savings occurred in the use of 200 ml of zeolite. The highest savings that occur in the use of these three packages are 29.35 ml (12.67%), 21.67 ml (9.35%) and 20.07 ml (8.66%) for full packaging, half packaging, and separate packaging, respectively. On the other hand, the ability to increase acceleration (0-100 km / h and 70-100 km / h) from the three packages is not much different. At acceleration of 0-100 km / h, car acceleration can be increased up to 3.07%, while acceleration of 70-100 km / h increases by 12.59% Half packaging dominates the increase in acceleration.
Activation of Zeolite can reduce gasoline consumption higher than that
natural zeolite. The best results occurred in the use of 200 ml zeolite, which was able to reduce gasoline consumption by 61.66 ml (23.87%) for physical acid zeolite activation, and by 60 ml (23.23%) for base-physical zeolite. While the use of 300 ml of zeolite obtained a decrease of 41 ml (15.87%) and 34.66 ml (13.42%) for zeolite acid-isic and base-physical activation, respectively. In another test, in the acceleration test it was seen that zeolite base-physical activation was more dominant than zeolite acid-physical activation. The use of zeolite with an amount of 100 ml and 200 ml gave an increase in acceleration which was far better than 300 ml of zeolite.

The highest increase in acceleration occurred in the use of 200 ml of zeolite, which amounted to 2.99 seconds (7.89%) for zeolite acid-physical activation, and was 3.83 seconds (10.10%) for zeolite base-physical activation.
This zeolite activation ability to save gasoline seems to be fluctuating
day by day. Lastly on the 14th and 15th day the ability of basafisic zeolite activation has been reduced to 7.8%, while the ability of zeolite acid-physical activation has been 8.5%. Based on the results that have been obtained, up to the 15th day the ability of these two zeolite activations has halved.

Thus, it is estimated that the effective age of these two zeolite activation is one month. On the other hand, towards the 9th and 10th day the zeolite acceleration ability of base-physical activation has also been reduced (to 2.9% and 9.13%), and to 1.92% and 8.69% for zeolite activation acid-physical. Furthermore, on the 12th and 13th day the acceleration ability of these two zeolites activated decreased to below 5%.

I read it but don't know what it means.
21.gif

I have a minor in chemistry, I do know a bit about zeolites (otherwise known as a molecular sieve). What you are describing is a load of complete nonsense. It takes a net input of energy to separate oxygen from nitrogen, it is not a passive mechanism.

People who know nothing about physics should not be selling such farcical devices but they do. This is much like the idiots that sell the devices to produce hydrogen from water, where due to efficiency losses it takes more energy to decompose the water than you get back from combustion.

Originally Posted by rollinpete

UTILIZATION OF LAMPUNG NATURAL ZEOLITE AS AN ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY AIR BURNING ADSORBENT TO IMPROVE THE PERFORMANCE OF 4-STEP GASOLINE MOTOR VEHICLES
June 1, 2009, 2:50 pm
Filed under: Journal | Tags: Activated zeolite , water filter , Nitrogen removal , Oxygen-rich combustion
By: Harry Wardono, Ir. M.Sc.
Research Institute
Created: 2008-01-03, with 1 file (s).
Keywords: Oxygen-rich combustion, Activated zeolite, Nitrogen removal, air filter,
adsorption by zeolite.

Subject: oooooooooo
Call Number: oooooooo

References click here or http://digilib.unila.ac.id/go.php?id=laptunilapp-gdl-res-2008-harrywardo-1172

SUMMARY

Indonesia. The use of zeolite as an air adsorbent to produce air with high oxygen concentration has long been and has been carried out a lot, even now it continues to be developed. However, the application on the fuel motor is still very lacking, only limited to reducing vehicle exhaust emissions. Motorized air filters are only capable of filtering coarse particles, while natural zeolites can capture molecular / angstrom-sized particles (such as nitrogen, water vapor). By putting natural zeolite before the air filter, Wardono H. (2005a, and 2005b) has proven the ability of Lampung natural zeolite to improve fuel motor performance in the laboratory (5.68% crank power, and 8.03% fuel saving). However, so that these zeolites can be commercialized, further research is needed on moving motors (carburetor cars). Tests were carried out using 3 sizes of zeolite (1.5; 2; and 2.5 mm), 3 variations of zeolite packaging (full, half, and separate packaging), and 4 variations in the number of zeolites (100, 200, 300, and 400 grams) . The engine performance test is directed at the gasoline consumption test (the car moves on the highway and stationary) and acceleration test (0-100 km / h and 70-100 km / h), the ability of pure natural zeolite from Lampung to reduce carburetor car fuel consumption has been proven through this research. The size of zeolite has an effect on decreasing fuel consumption, where the smaller the size causes a more efficient engine operation. In addition, more zeolites provide higher fuel savings in half packages and separate packaging,

Whereas in full packaging it did not occur, the highest savings occurred in the use of 200 ml of zeolite. The highest savings that occur in the use of these three packages are 29.35 ml (12.67%), 21.67 ml (9.35%) and 20.07 ml (8.66%) for full packaging, half packaging, and separate packaging, respectively. On the other hand, the ability to increase acceleration (0-100 km / h and 70-100 km / h) from the three packages is not much different. At acceleration of 0-100 km / h, car acceleration can be increased up to 3.07%, while acceleration of 70-100 km / h increases by 12.59% Half packaging dominates the increase in acceleration.
Activation of Zeolite can reduce gasoline consumption higher than that
natural zeolite. The best results occurred in the use of 200 ml zeolite, which was able to reduce gasoline consumption by 61.66 ml (23.87%) for physical acid zeolite activation, and by 60 ml (23.23%) for base-physical zeolite. While the use of 300 ml of zeolite obtained a decrease of 41 ml (15.87%) and 34.66 ml (13.42%) for zeolite acid-isic and base-physical activation, respectively. In another test, in the acceleration test it was seen that zeolite base-physical activation was more dominant than zeolite acid-physical activation. The use of zeolite with an amount of 100 ml and 200 ml gave an increase in acceleration which was far better than 300 ml of zeolite.

The highest increase in acceleration occurred in the use of 200 ml of zeolite, which amounted to 2.99 seconds (7.89%) for zeolite acid-physical activation, and was 3.83 seconds (10.10%) for zeolite base-physical activation.
This zeolite activation ability to save gasoline seems to be fluctuating
day by day. Lastly on the 14th and 15th day the ability of basafisic zeolite activation has been reduced to 7.8%, while the ability of zeolite acid-physical activation has been 8.5%. Based on the results that have been obtained, up to the 15th day the ability of these two zeolite activations has halved.

Thus, it is estimated that the effective age of these two zeolite activation is one month. On the other hand, towards the 9th and 10th day the zeolite acceleration ability of base-physical activation has also been reduced (to 2.9% and 9.13%), and to 1.92% and 8.69% for zeolite activation acid-physical. Furthermore, on the 12th and 13th day the acceleration ability of these two zeolites activated decreased to below 5%.

I read it but don't know what it means.
21.gif

I wonder what kind of dressing they put on that word salad.......

Anybody have experience with vehicles in high-altitude regions such as Colorado?

Any newer technological developments which attempt to readdress vehicle performance at altitudes where oxygen is more limited than in regions closer to sea-level?

Are the fuel blends sold in states such as Colorado differ from fuel-blends sold elsewhere?

Thank-you

It's more like random posts. People have responded to his post here in this thread but he's acknowledging none of it. Just keeps posting more random stuff.

NONSENSE! My posts have NOTHING whatsoever to do with spamming, endorsing specific products, or posting random-stuff!

I only slightly changed the course of this discussion; yet the common thread here remains the topic of engine-air and oxygen intake; which can be a concern in high-altitude regions!

It might be best to end this thread in order to avoid any further misunderstandings; and invite others to begin & maintain discussions in another discussion thread regarding any notable approaches in reassessing engine-air and oxygen intake.

Thank-you

Originally Posted by CT8
Does the Zeolite absorb nitrogen?

Yep.

But not enough to make even a tiny difference...

Anybody have experience with vehicles in high-altitude regions such as Colorado?

Any newer technological developments which attempt to readdress vehicle performance at altitudes where oxygen is more limited than in regions closer to sea-level?

Are the fuel blends sold in states such as Colorado differ from fuel-blends sold elsewhere?

Thank-you

Lived there.

The best tech for high altitude is old tech - turbocharging. As you climb up to, say, 11,000' in the Eisenhower Tunnel, normally aspirated engines lose over half of the HP that they had at sea level. My old Turbo Volvo would develop full boost and full manifold pressure at the same elevation, thus giving it all of the sea level horsepower. It was great. My old wagon was faster than any NA high performance car up there. Porsches, Corvettes, and the like were all left behind when passing a truck or other slow moving vehicle.

Fuel blends sold in high-altitude states are lower octane. The lower air pressure, when compressed, yields lower cylinder pressure, and a lower octane requirement for a normal engine. Regular is usually 85 octane, mid grade 87, in Colorado.

NONSENSE! My posts have NOTHING whatsoever to do with spamming, endorsing specific products, or posting random-stuff!

I only slightly changed the course of this discussion; yet the common thread here remains the topic of engine-air and oxygen intake; which can be a concern in high-altitude regions!

It might be best to end this thread in order to avoid any further misunderstandings; and invite others to begin & maintain discussions in another discussion thread regarding any notable approaches in reassessing engine-air and oxygen intake.

Thank-you

Its the way it is on here. Almost every thread has a drive by accusation or provocateur out to derail and hijack the conversation. Just ignore them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back