Oil additive for 18 GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought an 18 Mustang GT with the 5.0 and many people are having ticking issues already. I am looking to prevent this. In many cases, this is a bottom end problem causing cylinder wear. There are quite a few guys saying Ceratec quietened the engine down. I'm looking to get some suggestions on a good additive that will reduce friction and provide a good layer of film that is resistant to high pressure/sheering without having any detrimental effects or corrosion issues.

I would use a quality synthetic oil (that meets the specs) and no additives. If its still making a noise, go back to the dealer. Should be under warranty. Don't ignore the info in the owners manual as to viscosity & temp.

The 5.0 makes many "odd" noises and has for years. First off is to determine which noise you have. Then I'd go to the dealer first with your concerns and get them documented.

If you have the BBQ tick (which goes back to all years of 5.0) Ceratec seems to help. But I'd still get it documented as some have found excessive crank clearances and get new engines.
If you have the light acceleration 1900-2500 RPM rattle it could be fuel system (my guess), out of round bores that cause scoring and oil consumption. Many have this rattle but few engines the scoring. It's present on the F150 too.

Not saying this will help...but in my 13 GT500, which is the 5.8 trinity motor, without the VVT. I run RP HPS 5-30 not the 5-50 which ford calls for.

I don;t track the car or abuse her. The bearing tolerances are the same as my other two 5.4 2V motors which spec a 5-30 oil. I called Shelby on this and they said "Yes, we only speced the 5-50 because people could track the car, if you're not tracking/racing the car you're correct on using 5-30"

XL-17 is the additive number for a tick on a 5.0. We have sold it once back in 2011. FWIW my car has had the tick since new and mine has only had 5W50 since it is a Track Pack.

As said document any noise at the dealer, in writing.

After that no additives but use a good 5w30 oil, or even 10w30, and keep driving. Skip the 5w20 at least 1-2 oil change sot see if that helps.

Sorry to hear you have this engine noise but how can one expect an OTC additive to fix an engine design issue?

Originally Posted by MolaKule
Sorry to hear you have this engine noise but how can one expect an OTC additive to fix an engine design issue?

What's the point of ANY OTC additive, in that case?

Originally Posted by gathermewool

What's the point of ANY OTC additive, in that case?

To take money from your pocket and add it to theirs!
grin.gif

Depends entirely on what is causing the "tick" as to whether or not an additive will quiet it down or have any effect at all. Additives that really work and are not snake oil are few...

ARCHOIL 9100
LiquiMoly MoS2
Ceratec

And don't put any 5W20 in this motor! Yea yea I know the thin oil guys will yell but this is a very high output/liter engine that will turn decently high RPM. Keep at MIN a 30wt in the sump!

If you had to use an additive, I'd use MoS2. The plating action should cushion mis-fitting parts and reduce wear.

But...I'd hesitate to use it on a brand-new engine under warranty. Problem crops up, it 'may' cause complications...it 'may'...

There is the direct injection tick (which is normal) then there is that bottom end metallic sounding tick (assuming you are referring to that). Have heard it in person and not sure what it is? A youtuber tried Ceratec and tick apparently came back...also did a UOA and wear wasn't out of Blackstone ranges. Not sure what to make of it. It would concern me as an owner...not sure an additive will fix this as Molakule stated.

Edit - Sorry you are looking to prevent it...how many miles you have on it?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by boosted2v
I recently bought an 18 Mustang GT with the 5.0 and many people are having ticking issues already. I am looking to prevent this. In many cases, this is a bottom end problem causing cylinder wear. There are quite a few guys saying Ceratec quietened the engine down. I'm looking to get some suggestions on a good additive that will reduce friction and provide a good layer of film that is resistant to high pressure/sheering without having any detrimental effects or corrosion issues.

Sounds like you need a louder exhaust.

Try an even thicker oil. Castrol 10w-60. Its Louisiana the car runs in, so cold flow isn't an issue. Also, its not that much different hot than the 5w50 oil Ford says to use, merely a tad thicker.
[Linked Image]

FWIW, there is a person who reviewed Lubegard Biotech on Amazon that used it in his 5.0. He claims the LG quieted the BBQ tick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back