Bearing washout due to high oil pressure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read from a couple forums and videos that too high of oil pressure causes bearing erosion in the engine. Something akin to a high pressure water jet cutter

My first though is that it was a load of bunk. Main bearings operate in the 4000psi range. I can't see even 250-300 psi causing any harm other than blowing up the oil filter. But I am rather curious. Is this even a thing? Or just an old wives tale passed around? What would be the mechanism behind such a failure, if it even exists?

Originally Posted by SnowDrifter
I read from a couple forums and videos that too high of oil pressure causes bearing erosion in the engine. Something akin to a high pressure water jet cutter

My first though is that it was a load of bunk...

Yep!

How is 30PSI oil pressure going to cause harm? Oil pressure is used to cool bearings and to filter the oil.

Have these people ever done a search to educate themselves?

The Oil Wedge

Journal Bearing Theory

Last edited:
Agreed. I've never taken apart a destroyed engine and said: "You know what killed this one? High oil pressure."

I could see if there was some astronomical value (several hundred PSI) that caused fatigue somewhere that wasn't designed for it, but I'd say overall more is better.

I read something similar a few months ago. They were using the word washout to describe oil that was too thick resulting in poor flow at higher RPM. Maybe thats what it was?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back