Head needs work, what are my options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a air cooled 1997 Suzuki king quad, the head needs new valves and I really prefer a seat resurfacing.

I can probably buy new valves and lap/grind them in with a electric drill. I called around about resurfacing the seats, and nobody seems to be able to do it. One Machine shop, they had the arbor that would go through the valve guides, but did not have a chuck small enough to grip the valve... (he wants to do both a resurface and a valve grind on new valves)

All I can find around here is oilfield/industrial machine shops, or Automotive machine shops, would any motorcycle shops have this specialized equipment on hand?(and the jobbers that know what the f they are doing)

I'm talking about actually resurfacing the seats, not a home lap job. What would you do in my situation?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
Got a air cooled 1997 Suzuki king quad, the head needs new valves and I really prefer a seat resurfacing.

I can probably buy new valves and lap/grind them in with a electric drill. I called around about resurfacing the seats, and nobody seems to be able to do it. One Machine shop, they had the arbor that would go through the valve guides, but did not have a chuck small enough to grip the valve... (he wants to do both a resurface and a valve grind on new valves)

All I can find around here is oilfield/industrial machine shops, or Automotive machine shops, would any motorcycle shops have this specialized equipment on hand?(and the jobbers that know what the f they are doing)

I'm talking about actually resurfacing the seats, not a home lap job. What would you do in my situation?

Send it out of state if you have to. No biggie. Lots of good powersport machine shops around here.

^This. Automotive machine shops seem to getting fewer and fewer in many places but there are still some good ones, ask the bike shops for recommendations..

If it was me I'd inspect the seats first to confirm they need to be cut.
It's quite possible everything will be fine using new valves and lapping them in. After lapping if you don't see a nice even seat then I would look for a (GOOD) shop!
Valve seats today are stelite or powdered metal which is extremely hard and they may be fine to reuse without machining.
My 2 cents
90cummins

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL

If the seats are worn, you can't get get a proper seat width using grinding paste..Waste of time

(If the seats are worn, you can't get get a proper seat width using grinding paste..Waste of time)

That's why you would perform a quick lapping, using compound or blue dye.
Apply to dye or compound to valve then touch valve to seat. Push a short length of fuel line over valve stem and turn the valve back& forth a couple times to highlight the seat.
If there the seat shows full contact you are good to go, if there is a spot that is not seats need cutting.
Very simple quick method to check seats.
Many manufactures recommend using machinists blueing to check seats.
Keep it simple.
90cummins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back