Guns brought back from the dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
I inherited a bunch of guns from my grandpa...sadly in his diminishing health, they were left is sad, sad shape. My brother in law is trying to get a business of gun repair and enhancement up and running, so I offered a few to let him show his work. Here is the final product. I personally love them!

PM me if you want to know more.

IMG_1908.jpg

IMG_1909.jpg

IMG_1911.jpg

IMG_1910.jpg

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Any "before" photos for comparison?

I think he took a couple...I will ask. They were totally covered in rust, and at least two of them were hand-painted in camo pattern. I will post if he has any before pics. I didn't take any, as I figured they were trash...

That second one down I would have left the refinished stock as is. The burl in that wood is too pretty to be covered up.

Is that engraving on the stocks ?

I scrape rust with a brass case or use a copper Chore Girl on it . With Hoppies .

Remove old finish with paint remover . Remove oil with Blue Easy Off Oven Cleaner . Rinse well & let dry .

Then , multiple coats of boiled linseed oil .

Originally Posted by DriveHard
Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Is that engraving on the stocks ?

its an art called "fractal burning"

Must be out of touch, have never seen that before and I try to get to a few gun shows a year and a fair number of gun shops.

Were there major flaws on the stocks to hide?

I'm sorry, but to my tastes I would much prefer plain wood. Plus I imagine under heavy recoil that texturing would be rough on someone's cheek.

here are the only two pics he took "before"
I still have half a dozen other guns from my grandpa that were in similar condition as these were if someone were truly interested in how the metal looked.

image000000.jpg

image000001.jpg

Originally Posted by AZjeff
If my grandpa painted those stocks there's no doubt in my mind I'd keep the one I liked best alone and refinish the metal. Family heirloom right there.

I understand that line of reasoning. I've inherited some things that were similar. However, many of my grandfather's possessions were not his "prize possessions" and I was lucky enough to know which was which. I've carefully maintained the ones worthy of it, and did what I want with the rest.

I'll bet grandpa would be proud to have owned the lovingly restored versions. I think they look fantastic!!!!!! AND, I think you should display them proudly, each with a note attached about who owned it, where and when, and a little about the restoration.

Off topic a bit, but still relevant:

When I'm gone, I don't want my successors to think I prized much of the "stuff" I own.

It is a good idea to write about the things that have special value. And to leave disposal directions for the rest of the stuff. If I die today, there are clearly inherited things that may be discarded that are worthwhile family heirlooms. I need to get on the ball. Widowed women have a wonderful way of discarding grandpa's incredibly valuable model trains at goodwill. If you care, write down your wishes!!!!!!

Last edited:
If my grandpa painted those stocks there's no doubt in my mind I'd keep the one I liked best alone and refinish the metal. Family heirloom right there.

My grandfather had no such things as "prized possessions". He used what he had, and gave away anything of value as easily as he would have given a kleenex to someone who needed it. He used to play in a band, and we know for a fact he simply gave away several signed guitars from famous artists worth north of 5 figures each. I still have half a dozen or more of the guns I was actually able to shoot with him that were left untouched...that I plan on cleaning up with my son when he is old enough and teaching him to shoot with. My grandfather lived in a house in the country with no running water, heated with wood, and basically lived as a mountain man in his old age. There were probably close to 30 guns in total, some I sold, some I left untouched, and these four I literally gave to my brother in law with no intent to ever see them again. My BIL took his time to refinish them, and gave them back to me as a gift. It was probably the nicest thing anybody outside of my parents has ever done for me...I cried when I learned I was getting them back in this condition.

The goose gun (10 gauge) is going over my fire place on my main level...the pellet gun will be my son's (my BIL engraved his and my grandpa's name on it) and the other two will go in my safe with the rest of my collection.

They are a family heirloom NOW...they weren't really in the condition they were in before. Now it is a blending of two families, and an even better story/history to tell.

Last edited:
Nice story. Did you live close enough to your grandfather to spend time with him? Still hoping you kept 1 he painted.

No, but I have several of his paintings on my walls...as does my mom and sister.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back