4/32" tread - rotate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bridgestone Turanzas - had 9/32" at 62,300, now at 4/32" at 95,400. Don't know how many more miles these tires are good for. Does it make sense to rotate tires at 4/32", or just wait until new ones put on. Don't have the mileage when last rotation was done, but definitely not done in the last 10K of '09 Jetta. Thank you in advance.

Start shopping for a good deal on replacements, those aren't worth rotating.

In PA, probably not.

But in a dry region, yes. You would be surprised how long tires can last when they still have 4/32" remaining.

Originally Posted by dishdude
Start shopping for a good deal on replacements, those aren't worth rotating.
This. Rotating now a waste of time imo.

Originally Posted by jon81SC
Bridgestone Turanzas - had 9/32" at 62,300, now at 4/32" at 95,400. Don't know how many more miles these tires are good for. Does it make sense to rotate tires at 4/32", or just wait until new ones put on. Don't have the mileage when last rotation was done, but definitely not done in the last 10K of '09 Jetta. Thank you in advance.

So I'm thinking: Pennsylvania …… February …… 4/32nds …… ah ……. SNOW!!

Why are we even talking about rotating. We should be talking about replacing.

I buy my tires at "Discount Tire". They will do free rotations. If you live in a region that gets snow I would change them out if at 4/32 " .

I'd be shopping. That said, if they were wearing evenly, and it didn't cost to rotate, then rotate. Summer's right around the corner, and as long as you know the tires are at end of life (slow down in rain etc), then might as well go to the bitter end.

Personally I start shopping at 4/32's. The traction loss is noticable when ponding occurs. Let alone in snow.

You answered your own question. If you're going to wait, rotate them. If you're not going to wait, don't. There is nothing different now about getting max life out of what tread remains, except it may be even more important for safety now as any uneven wear gets further and further towards bald spots.

You did not mention what is the big deal about rotating tires. No place or tools to do it? You may be sort of in the wrong place if you're asking where most people have a floor jack, jack stands, and tire iron. Free lifetime rotations is something to consider when factoring in the price/where to buy new tires if you're not inclined to DIY.

Thank you all for your replies! After reading them concluded 4/32" is postponing the inevitable, and starting next month will be doing more highway high speed driving through the Fall. Ordered tonight from TR & will have them & new TPMS installed ('09 Jetta) next week. Oh yeah - and just in case of any meaningful snow.... *G*

Dave9 - thanks for your interest & free rotations suggestions. Excluding an impact wrench, have all the other gear. Just couldn't break ANY of the lug nuts free. Last tire rotation - Pep Boys. Should've known better!

I just went through this.......I needed an alignment as well so I decided to get new tires......car drives like new again! If you can just get new tires.

Originally Posted by jon81SC
Dave9 - thanks for your interest & free rotations suggestions. Excluding an impact wrench, have all the other gear. Just couldn't break ANY of the lug nuts free. Last tire rotation - Pep Boys. Should've known better!

Good Decision (replacement) Jon. I experienced 2/32 in winter. It was SCARY!!!

RE: no impact wrench.
Something from when I had a house (6 years ago): longer pipe on end of lug wrench, and very EASY(!!!) and GRADUALLY(!!!), your body weight.
Again, very easy and gradually!!!

I keep a couple of gas pipes around, I think one is 3' and the other closer to 5'. Seemed ridiculous price last time I bought one from Home Depot but it's cheap in the scheme of things. Just get one large enough to slip over breaker bars, one I have is like 3/4" ID and it's just too small.

4 way lug wrenches can work, pull up on one side and step on the other.

They should make it through the winter, and 4/32 is plenty for wet conditions. I'd keep running them to 2/32 with an eye for replacing before next winter.

One thing I have noticed is that older tires seem to need balancing more often than new...so will be more sensitive to not rotating...so IMO, continue rotating on schedule.

In the summer, out west? Sure.

Winter, east of the Rockies? Buy new tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back