Battery Anti-Corrosion Felt Pads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My battery was almost four years old and leaking so I decided to replace it before the Phoenix summer heat sets in. Got an Everstart Maxx battery with a 5-year warranty from Walmart. They guy who sold it to me said they would install it with felt pads treated with an anti-corrosion substance to ensure no leaking. But when I picked it up, he said they were out of the pads so he installed it without them.

I've never heard of these pads. How necessary or useful are they? Should I go back and insist that they put them on?

Thanks!

The pads will not stop the battery from leaking. They can help prevent corrosion on the terminals. I just use Vaseline.

Sil Glide is what I use because I have it on hand. The pads help but i don't use them unless they are free.

Originally Posted by MParr
The pads will not stop the battery from leaking. They can help prevent corrosion on the terminals. I just use Vaseline.

I use wheel bearing grease.

The "Green & Red" felt pads don't last forever - they are about $5 and need to be replaced every other year

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Are you sure about the 5 year warranty? Last EverStart Maxx batteries I bought were only 3 years, no pro rated warranty.

It's an Everstart Maxx group 65-S battery. The label on it says 3 years full replacement, 5 years pro-rated. Here's a link if we're allowed to do links:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Maxx-Lead-Acid-Automotive-Battery-Group-65s/16782705

From what I've read, the "S" denotes the batteries made for the south, and the "N" denotes batteries sold in Canada. Reviews are glowing for the Northern ones, not so glowing for the Southern ones. but since few batteries last even four years down here I wanted something with a 5-year warranty.

I hope he at least used some kind of grease when he installed it.

Originally Posted by Linctex

Vaseline or grease can be an insulator. This isn't the 1920's anymore. Get some specifically for battery terminals.

2...ector_and_sealer_2_x700.jpg

Originally Posted by atikovi
Vaseline or grease can be an insulator. This isn't the 1920's anymore. Get some specifically for battery terminals.

I've tried different stuff over the years. Once it was a paste that came out of a tube from Victor. Stayed really soft. Another was a red spray on substance that was hard when it dried. I actually oversprayed the newspaper where I laid it down and onto my garage floor.

Originally Posted by shiny
From what I've read, the "S" denotes the batteries made for the south, and the "N" denotes batteries sold in Canada. Reviews are glowing for the Northern ones, not so glowing for the Southern ones. but since few batteries last even four years down here I wanted something with a 5-year warranty.

Not sure exactly how that works. Back in 2010 I bought a Group 51 from Sears for my wife's Civic. The best price I got was online where they seemed to list a "DieHard Weatherhandler North" and a different "DieHard Weatherhandler South" version. The "North" version was much cheaper - maybe $55 when the "South" version was $90. Both were listed as available for pickup at my closest Sears. I ordered the cheaper version online and when I got to the Sears auto center to pick it up I asked. Behind the counter I was told they only had one type, and it didn't say anything about being a north or south type.

I got curious (especially with the future of Sears in doubt) and all they have listed now for Group 51 are EP-51 and JC-51. I guess that means made by East Penn or Johnson Controls. Only the JC-51 version is available at my local stores. But I installed a Deka a year ago and it's been working pretty well. No felt pads and no anticorrosion paste/spray.

As mentioned, they help keep the terminals clean. Found them useful on an AAP gold that I just got rid of on the Accord.
However, since I bought a bunch of them for a quarter a pack when Harbor Freight was clearing them out, no big deal to use them.

I pretty much swear by them since they stopped the corrosion on two batteries that kept getting the gunk build-up on the positive terminal. Even coating the terminal wouldn't keep the gunk away for long. But the felt pads kept the build up away for years till the battery finally died or I replaced it. Six and seven year old batteries. One being an JCI and the other an Exide. The Exide was still working but didn't want to push my luck.

I think the NOCO battery pads are probably the real deal. Many others are just some felt with oil on them.

Check the serial number of your Walmart EverStart battery. If it starts with "EP" the battery was made by East Penn.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
I pretty much swear by them since they stopped the corrosion on two batteries that kept getting the gunk build-up on the positive terminal. Even coating the terminal wouldn't keep the gunk away for long. But the felt pads kept the build up away for years till the battery finally died or I replaced it. Six and seven year old batteries. One being an JCI and the other an Exide. The Exide was still working but didn't want to push my luck.

^^^^^

Very good performance with the pads...

I use dielectric grease. Which has kept my positive terminal perfect.

One thing all you guys know for sure is not to over tighten the terminals on the battery. This can led to a slight crack which greatly enhances the build up on the battery posts... Snug is good enough. No need in nuclear tight
smile.gif

My brother swears by those pads. He buys these little plastic jars of them. He sells generator set batteries. Goes through a lot of em.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
Originally Posted by shiny

Not sure exactly how that works. Back in 2010 I bought a Group 51 from Sears for my wife's Civic. The best price I got was online where they seemed to list a "DieHard Weatherhandler North" and a different "DieHard Weatherhandler South" version. The "North" version was much cheaper - maybe $55 when the "South" version was $90. Both were listed as available for pickup at my closest Sears. I ordered the cheaper version online and when I got to the Sears auto center to pick it up I asked. Behind the counter I was told they only had one type, and it didn't say anything about being a north or south type.

I got curious (especially with the future of Sears in doubt) and all they have listed now for Group 51 are EP-51 and JC-51. I guess that means made by East Penn or Johnson Controls. Only the JC-51 version is available at my local stores. But I installed a Deka a year ago and it's been working pretty well. No felt pads and no anticorrosion paste/spray.

For some reason, Sears provides the North version in California. Seeing that it's heat that kills batteries, I would rather have the South version.

Sears guy told me the North battery was correct because we're in the Northern hemisphere.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by CharlieBauer
For some reason, Sears provides the North version in California. Seeing that it's heat that kills batteries, I would rather have the South version.

Sears guy told me the North battery was correct because we're in the Northern hemisphere.
lol.gif

Not sure it gets that cold in California, and I don't have much of an opportunity to drive to Minnesota or Saskatchewan. I've never had a problem starting a car during a winter in Tahoe or Yosemite even with a factory battery with a CCA rating on the low side. But that battery did have fill caps. That's the one thing that's nice to have in a hot climate. I suppose it does evaporate faster, but it's pretty easy to just top off the water.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Linctex

2...ector_and_sealer_2_x700.jpg

+1 on the Permatex Battery Protector - https://www.permatex.com/products/s...nance/permatex-battery-protector-sealer/

This also neutralizes acid and prevents corrosion. The pads are treated with similar stuff, but I prefer the spray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back