Upgraded to Gigbit Cable Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problems with my 50/10 DSL connection kept intermittently happening and I got frustrated with TekSavvy blaming Bell and Bell blaming them so I decided to upgrade and boy is it sweet.
The wired PC's download at ridiculous speeds where the other side isn't throttling. Netflix has no spinny loading wheel either. It just there.

I most likely will downgrade to a 250 mega bit connection once the 1 year promotional price is over but for now I'll use it since it's cheaper than the regular price for 250mb.

Speed Test Results.png

Last edited:
10mb down is good for most folks, even streaming HD.

We have multiple devices streaming HD at once and we have a 200MB/s plan from Spectrum and we won't come close to saturating it.

I think the gigabit service tiers are more for gimicks, you shouldn't be able to notice a difference between 100 down and gigabit down, unless you are running an office full of people, and all their devices.

smirk2.gif
Must be nice, I'm unusually fast this morning with a 198ms ping, 1.82Mbps down, 1.62Mbps up. Usually down/up is about half that. All for the low low price of $50/month. They advertise that I'm supposed to get 4 down, 1.5 up
29.gif
. It's sad they can't even fulfill that.

What's more sad is that the U.S. internet infrastructure in 2019 is so unfathomably pathetic that I dont have another choice in a town with a population of over 100,000.

'Merica
34.gif

The download speed is real exciting and great you have a steady internet connection now.

But what's up with that relatively absymal upload speed or is it where they get their money if you want it corrected? Note I have always had 5Mbps UP since 2001 however download went from 10Mbps(2001) to 170Mbps(current) for the same cost.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JustinH
10mb down is good for most folks, even streaming HD.

We have multiple devices streaming HD at once and we have a 200MB/s plan from Spectrum and we won't come close to saturating it.

I think the gigabit service tiers are more for gimicks, you shouldn't be able to notice a difference between 100 down and gigabit down, unless you are running an office full of people, and all their devices.

HD is pretty efficient and only needs about 5Mbps/connection. The OP has 4k running which is 25Mbps+ hog of steady bandwidth otherwise a spinner pops up.

I live in an area of NY where the homes per mile of road is low and no business case on the phone or cable company side to do anything more than the copper pair we use for 4 Mb DSL. There is some state and federal money but that is running out and the FCC 477 form that covers my census block is not correct so they would not get any subsidy money anyway. Its a pathetic situation.

My choices are 25/1.4 Windstream DSL (which has been almost perfect over the last year)...and Charter Spectrum cable. My sister next door has Spectrum and she has only a vile, seething, virulent hatred for what they get and how much it costs. I am the only Internet user in this house and the 25 down serves my need very well. I don't do gaming or Netflix and the only device I have is an Echo Dot (which was a gift, otherwise I wouldn't have it). My DSL + bundled POTS landline is $96.XX incl all taxes and fees. I could wish for it to be less, but I'll keep it because Spectrum would cost more. I've had DSL from Windstream since 2007 and while there have been ups and downs, they do try to be as helpful as possible.

I'm curious to know what the OP's gig promotion price is...the regular price...and what the price will be after the downgrade.

We pay $70 for gigabit internet from Google.. had it a while now maybe over 3 years. It's the only reason I won't move
lol.gif
Don't think I could go back!

Originally Posted by StevieC
The problems with my 50/10 DSL connection kept intermittently happening and I got frustrated with TekSavvy blaming Bell and Bell blaming them so I decided to upgrade and boy is it sweet.
The wired PC's download at ridiculous speeds where the other side isn't throttling. Netflix has no spinny loading wheel either. It just there.
I most likely will downgrade to a 250 mega bit connection once the 1 year promotional price is over but for now I'll use it since it's cheaper than the regular price for 250mb.

I have Fibe and not entirely happy, who's the provider for your GigBit?

It's sad how our supposedly entrepreneurial, capitalistic society has resulted in monopoly/duopoly, poor, slow, expensive and limited Internet options and speeds, while other nations have better, cheaper and faster Internet.

We can thank big corporations, congresscritters and lobbyists for that.

Originally Posted by Pelican
Originally Posted by StevieC

I have Fibe and not entirely happy, who's the provider for your GigBit?

Shows Rogers in the pic.

Right. Actual max end-to-end throughput will not be any different than any other customer on the downstream side of the last mile router. 900Mbs down showing on a speedtest is just between the POS and that last router, maybe 1 more, depending on the testing provider and how that is setup. Basically it doesn't matter how fast you get to the door, if thousands of others are standing there waiting to get in as well.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
I thought you despised Rogers
wink.gif

grin.gif

Nice speeds though
thumbsup2.gif

I do but I couldn't pass up the deal and I was super frustrated with TekSavvy & Bell not being able to figure it out despite having 0 errors reported by the modem.

Teksavvy offers 250mb Cable through the Rogers Infrastructure so when the promo is up I can always switch back to them at a better price. Modem was free with Rogers anyway.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by UberArchetype

Right. Actual max end-to-end throughput will not be any different than any other customer on the downstream side of the last mile router. 900Mbs down showing on a speedtest is just between the POS and that last router, maybe 1 more, depending on the testing provider and how that is setup. Basically it doesn't matter how fast you get to the door, if thousands of others are standing there waiting to get in as well.

I ran a download test and I'm getting 110 megabytes per second (not megabits) where the other side has the capabilities or isn't throttling.

I'm almost 2 years with using a Netgear LB1211 LTE modem with a 4G LTE for LaptopConnect provisioned AT&T LTE SIM card on an original and grandfathered AT&T Unlimited Plus Multi-Line plan.

22GB softcap that might de-prioritize data, but it never happens. Adds an extra $27 to my bill (it's just another line). Speeds are usually 7-15Mbps down and 18-20Mbps up. Works very well and low ping times (35-50ms).

This past month, the LTE home internet and cell phone usage put my total data usage at 943GB. Not bad.

LTE modem goes into my firewall. It works great.

Originally Posted by HangFire
It's sad how our supposedly entrepreneurial, capitalistic society has resulted in monopoly/duopoly, poor, slow, expensive and limited Internet options and speeds, while other nations have better, cheaper and faster Internet.

We can thank big corporations, congresscritters and lobbyists for that.

This guy gets it! When I compare my average speeds over the last 5 years to what Google says a certain country's average should be...

The starving kids in Ethiopia have faster internet than I do!!!
shocked2.gif
Let that sink in for a bit...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back