Raccoon 1-Caprice 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
55mph in the right lane, truck in left lane slowly passing me. Ran in front of the truck. Missed the truck hit the passenger side of my front bumper.

It is one of the very few unmolested Caprice front bumpers in country(no holes from police work). USAA is going to cover it and the body shop found a new OEM one.
They said they are a bunch out there because the front of police cars get wrecked often.

Bummed me out, but could be much worse so I shouldn't worry.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
I'm glad USAA is taking care of you, overall I've been very pleased with their services over the years.

USAA has always done right by me. I have been pleased as well.

Sorry to hear about the accident, your damage, and the animal's likely demise!

I was heading home after working late years ago on an isolated road in one of the Chicagoland area's forest preserves. Probably going 40 in a 35 zone and some jerk was just tailgating me horribly...I'm sure he would have passed me illegally if there was a single decent stretch of straight road and I would have been glad, but the road was windy as heck and didn't even have a decent shoulder to let me pull over so he could pass.
Came around a curve and a big raccoon was crossing the road...everything would have been fine if I could have braked hard, but the jerk kept me from doing that without risking getting rear ended hard (and I already had back issues from a moron hitting me from behind in Dallas). I really could only hit the poor thing...the only silver lining is that it shot out from under the back of my car and splatted good on the jerk's windshield. He slid from side to side for a bit and then stopped dead, and I sure wasn't going back to help him out.
I can only say that maybe the creature didn't die completely in vain, hopefully that guy thought twice about tailgating so severely in the future...somehow, I had zero damage from the raccoon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
A shot like that, I wouldn't think the raccoon survived his victory! Lucky they found a new GM one.

Poor guy didn't make it. He was a big guy.

R.I.P. Trash Panda, may he enjoy his time in the junkyard in the sky pulling 4.8 and 5.3s for 80s cars.

Glad to see your Caprice is being taken care of. I really wanted one of the new SS sedans but held off just knowing parts might be an issue in the years to come.

Originally Posted by ls1mike
A shot like that, I wouldn't think the raccoon survived his victory! Lucky they found a new GM one.

He must have been eating well. Good to hear all will be fixed.

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
my sympathies.....

$4,800....the result of a 70mph meeting between my SAAB 93 convertible and a raccoon.

Yeah the body guy who looked at it said he has seen raccoons total a car.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Sorry to hear about the accident, your damage, and the animal's likely demise!

I was heading home after working late years ago on an isolated road in one of the Chicagoland area's forest preserves. Probably going 40 in a 35 zone and some jerk was just tailgating me horribly...I'm sure he would have passed me illegally if there was a single decent stretch of straight road and I would have been glad, but the road was windy as heck and didn't even have a decent shoulder to let me pull over so he could pass.
Came around a curve and a big raccoon was crossing the road...everything would have been fine if I could have braked hard, but the jerk kept me from doing that without risking getting rear ended hard (and I already had back issues from a moron hitting me from behind in Dallas). I really could only hit the poor thing...the only silver lining is that it shot out from under the back of my car and splatted good on the jerk's windshield. He slid from side to side for a bit and then stopped dead, and I sure wasn't going back to help him out.
I can only say that maybe the creature didn't die completely in vain, hopefully that guy thought twice about tailgating so severely in the future...somehow, I had zero damage from the raccoon.

I felt bad about it but I had no where to go and there was no stopping.

Originally Posted by PimTac

He must have been eating well. Good to hear all will be fixed.

We got some fat ones out here in the Pacific Northwest.

You did the right thing, I almost rear ended some "lady" who full panic braked, AND switched lanes to avoid a squirrel.

So she played squirrel chicken and almost totaled 2 cars. (was 55mph road)

I was also rear ended once when I was braking for a massive flock of ducks and geese on a 4 lane 35mph road...
slowly braking they were about 500ft ahead- had 4-ways on and was doing about 15-20mph
guy texting plowed into me totalling my car ($20k) Said he was doing 25.. now I'm not a genius and neither was the LEO
but rear ending a moving vehicle at 25(with a speed differential of 10mph) doesn't to 30k damage.

Messed up my neck and back for over a year.. pretty much fully ok now though.. or as ok as its going to get.
I'd get random numbness in my fingers and drop and break stuff at work.. was really popular with my Boss....

So summary its great if you can cautiously avoid hitting critters.. but if you have to swerve its usually better to just hit them.. and not a telephone pole/ditch/other vehicle etc.

Lol! You on sloppy mechanics?

Maybe.......yes. But just on the public page. One of my friends built a LTD with a turbo 4.8 and a level 9,000 4L60 like 4-5 years ago that put down 700+ to the wheels. The back doors and trunk no longer close, but that was, and still is, a fun car.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Lol! You on sloppy mechanics?

Maybe.......yes. But just on the public page. One of my friends built a LTD with a turbo 4.8 and a level 9,000 4L60 like 4-5 years ago that put down 700+ to the wheels. The back doors and trunk no longer close, but that was, and still is, a fun car.

ahahahahha! Yeah I am too.

First one cost State Farm $1200. Second one, 6 months later, cost me $175 ( I bought a used OEM bumper the same colour as the car). Those little bastages can really [censored] up a car.

Well the body shop and USAA are good so far. Bumper will be here Monday with some other smaller parts. They are saying 1500 dollars right now. I drop the car off on Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back