Import Tax??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,

I bought a small part on Amazon. This morning I checked to see how soon the part would arrive by mail. It will take 20 days or more to get it! I discovered the part is coming from India. NOT HAPPY!

I thought about trying to cancel the order, but that would not be fair to the seller as he already shipped his product. Grrr!

I have never ordered from another country. My questions are these: 1. do I have import tax to pay, and how do I do that?

There is no import tax to pay. You already paid your invoice in full. Now it's up to the seller to get the product to you. Any fees or taxes involved in getting the product to you is on the seller.

It's no different than a seller offering "free shipping." The shipping isn't actually free, the seller just builds it into the price of the product and pays the shipping company himself. But in either case, you simply pay whatever amount the seller and you agree on (your invoice), and the seller handles the rest.

I have ordered several electrical / electronic items from Red China . Takes a while . Always order from some one that gives free shipping .

I've received stuff from China, Thailand and my favourite, Tipperary, Ireland. Although I'm in Canada, so it's not applicable to your case, we also don't get any extra fees on it.

The China stuff is funny. It comes from cities I have not heard of, and when I look them up, they are larger than most American cities.

You will owe nothing more than you have already paid.

I ordered a small part that I knew was going to take a while to get here based on the date estimate. What I didn't realize is it was coming from China via China post. It literally came to me on the slow boat from China. It arrived about a month after I ordered it (which I knew was going to be the case based on the estimated arrival dates) and the wife was like what on earth is this?

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I've received stuff from China, Thailand and my favourite, Tipperary, Ireland. Although I'm in Canada, so it's not applicable to your case, we also don't get any extra fees on it.

The China stuff is funny. It comes from cities I have not heard of, and when I look them up, they are larger than most American cities.

Yes it is interesting to do a map search and see where you item originated.

Great to hear the import taxes are taken care of already. This knowledge gives me the freedom to order globally when needed. Fortunately the part is not completely broken and I can wait.
smile.gif

How much did you pay for it? Usually if it's low enough, there's usually no import tax on small items, I believe if it's less than $800, there's no import tax.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
How much did you pay for it? Usually if it's low enough, there's usually no import tax on small items, I believe if it's less than $800, there's no import tax.

Good to know! I likely will never make that large of a purchase overseas, so probably never be an issue for me. The item I got was $15ish

Originally Posted by tmorris1
Watch out for counterfeit things coming from those parts of the world.

Like this? A little something mailed directly from Thailand. I like them because the good old blades can be had for cheap. Don't need no stinkin' 5 blades.
laugh.gif

0A644954-AC3F-4C6C-BD5A-1C61D32EE5FB.jpeg

AB969816-6456-47E3-ACE5-F0F3A3CEC940.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back