2005 Jeep Liberty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone Familiar with the 2005 era Jeep liberty? Have a chance to pick one up cheap $1800. Wondering if its worth it, and what to look out for.
203k. 3.7L 4wd.

47223832_2275481242526726_5233864489983541248_n.jpg

Last edited:
Miles?
Engine? Guessing it's the 3.7 liter?
Maintenance history, if it has one.
Don't remember if there was more than one type of 4wd option that year.

Boss had one and hated it. Vague steering, no power and the window regulators kept breaking, every door, some more than once. Something plastic breaks without warning and the glass falls. That was major headaches, be worth researching.

Found it: https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit...p-liberty-defective-window-class-action/

Supposedly there are metal parts available on ebay or something that fix this.

14 year old Chrysler with over 200k miles , I wouldn't even look at it.

I had a 2004 Dakota 2WD with that 3.7 engine, and the fuel mileage was HORRIBLE, If I got over 13 mpg I was doing very good.

Last edited:
Comparable examples can be found at the Capital Auto Auction in Manchester which I am sure would go for less than $1800.00.
That mileage just strikes me as too high for their asking price.

Theyre not that bad, we have a couple over 200k and alot in the 160+ range, but they can be sludge monsters, and rusting is always a problem. Does seem high for the price Id be at about 1200 for that, plus have it checked out first so you know whats coing.

I thought all cars were good today, I don't see the issue. Other than rust and mpg, and a few problem models, I thought the BITOG mantra was that all cars go past 200k. Presuming the PO took care of it.
21.gif

They are ok. Lots of little issues on them usually, not expensive to fix just annoying. Hard on gas. Engine/trans units are ok.
With this kind of mileage though I would pass.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by supton
I thought all cars were good today, I don't see the issue. Other than rust and mpg, and a few problem models, I thought the BITOG mantra was that all cars go past 200k. Presuming the PO took care of it.
21.gif

OP states
Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Anyone Familiar with the 2005 era Jeep liberty?
203k. 3.7L 4wd.

Seems to line up just about right.
Your 'BITOG mantra' crack doesn't hold water here.
200k+ on a 14ish year old FCA product.....

The potential headroom for durability and dependability is likely not that great. Maybe OP will have a great experience with this, but it certainly wouldn't be a first choice here...

Scotty Kilmer would not approve.But it looks like soneone(s) got a lot of miles out of it so far.

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
First choice is a $1700 2003 camry v6 auto with 180k. But teenagers want a jeep lol.

You won't have to worry about them getting fresh in a Camry. It's a shrinker for sure...
lol.gif

Last edited:
I have a 2007 jeep liberty. I wouldn't be scared of it. It has a great 4wd system. Its bad on gas. Reliability is so so, but its simple and parts are cheap.at 15 years all the rubber suspension components are going to be due for replacement

Engine - ok if not overheated and oil changed

Trans- not the longest lasting but its a 4 speed so rebuilts are not crazy expensive

Common issues- window regulators, front acle cv joint

Originally Posted by Chris142
Dont over heat it. The valve seats will fall out of the heads if you do.

I had a 2006 GC with the 4.7. Same as the 3.7 but with 2 more cylinders.
Dropped valve seats at 153,000 miles and it NEVER overheated. I was the original owner. Was great up until that moment.

Personally, I wouldn't take a chance on another one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back