VOA Castrol Edge 5W-30 D1 gen2

Status
Not open for further replies.
For myself, I still believe metallic additives are a good thing, and so more of them 'tends to be better'.

I also think if an oil is low on them, the formulator is 'cheapening' the oil.

So here, I think it is a 'strong oil' because it have lots of detergents - 1400ppm Mg AND 900ppm Ca, which give it a TBN of 10, which is stronger than the 7-9 we see out of many oils.

As well as a good detergent package, it has BOTH moly and boron for anti-wear, not just one or the other. So it should be a 'smooth running' oil that keeps wear low.

That is why I would say its a 'strong oil'.

JMO.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
For myself, I still believe metallic additives are a good thing, and so more of them 'tends to be better'.

I also think if an oil is low on them, the formulator is 'cheapening' the oil.

So here, I think it is a 'strong oil' because it have lots of detergents - 1400ppm Mg AND 900ppm Ca, which give it a TBN of 10, which is stronger than the 7-9 we see out of many oils.

As well as a good detergent package, it has BOTH moly and boron for anti-wear, not just one or the other. So it should be a 'smooth running' oil that keeps wear low.

That is why I would say its a 'strong oil'.

JMO.

I'm not arguing against your point, but my understanding is that the lack of metallic additives has to do with keeping ash lower. At least that's one reason, I don't formulate so I can't say anything more about it.

I would just point out that my HDEO (Delo) is pretty darn boring to see in oil samples. No moly, no titanium, just a little boron, and less than 800 PPM of phosphorus and zinc. But Chevron supplements Delo with additives we can't see and it seems to be working fine in heavy duty use.

I'm sure that the Edge sample I posted is going to work great, too. I look forward to getting much use out of it and seeing how the UOA compares to the VOA.

Does the back of the jug say SN Plus? The 5w30 I found at Walmart has the same front, but the back of the jug only says SN, not SN Plus.

That's an unusual add-pack featured here. So much Magnesium..... interesting!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Does the back of the jug say SN Plus? The 5w30 I found at Walmart has the same front, but the back of the jug only says SN, not SN Plus.

That's an unusual add-pack featured here. So much Magnesium..... interesting!

I purchased and installed my two jugs in May 2018 so they don't have SN+ on them, just SN and d1G2. Yes, I made sure to note in the original post that I wasn't mixing up the calcium and magnesium. It's not something new, but it had been a few years since we had seen a similar package.

Just a random note for anyone who buys this oil; it turned dark very quickly. However, it didn't continue to darken until black or anything like that. I posted my first UOA back in December (7900 miles I believe) and got nice results. I left the oil in but have piled on many more miles than usual this winter, so I'll be draining and submitting another sample later this month.

All that Magnesium could have contributed to the oil getting dark early. Castrol Syntec 5w30 may do it's best work in D,.I. / Turbo applications of higher mileage.

Thus, the add-pack numbers are reflective of being SN Plus.... thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back