2006 Buick 3.8l

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had GM solved their manifold , gasket , seal , DEXCOOL , issues issues by 2006 ? Our car has ~ 43,000 miles & still has DEXCOOL in it .

Thanks , :)
Wyr
God bless

Yes, those issues are gone. 2004+ is the Series III 3.8 with an aluminum upper and lower intake manifold.

I would drain and fill your radiator with fresh Dex-cool every couple years or so.

We bought it used , in June of 2017 .

First thing , I started flushing brake fluid and power steering fluid with a turkey baster . Then I ordered the heater and radiator hoses , serpintine belt , tstat , air and cabin filter . Then I found out about the plastic coolant elbows ( what a crazy idea ! ) .

Lost about a gallon of coolant when I pulled the lower radiator hose . When I got finished replacing the other parts , I went to Wallmart and purchased a gallon of Zerex DEXCOOL spec coolant and filled the system back up & " burped " it .

So , it has ~ 1 gallon of new coolant and the remainder is what ever DEXCOOL was in it , when we acquired it . Only reason I knew it was DEXCOOL is because it is orange .

That year , I think , I dumped a gallon of DEXCOOL on our 2015 Chevy Sonic and replaced it .

I am hoping , changing out 1 gallon at a time , ever couple of years , will be fine , on both cars .

We also have a low mileage 1991 Chevy Caprice , but it rarely gets driven . It has green coolant in it , that was mostly changed , several years ago .

Thanks , :)

Last edited:
Good mindset to be in with keeping coolant cycled. Nice fleet and I'll bet that 3.8 will get a good 28-30MPG on the highway. Good cars.

Do you have a radiator cap, or is pressure sealed at the reservoir? Regardless if its never been changed since 06, its still going to sludge up.

The only unusual cooling problem remaining with the Series 3 is the plastic elbows. The problems related to the intake gaskets and the plastic upper intake on the Series 2 have been redesigned.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mk378
The only unusual cooling problem remaining with the Series 3 is the plastic elbows. The problems related to the intake gaskets and the plastic upper intake on the Series 2 have been redesigned.
I've heard of problems with other GM cars related to dex not working in an open cooling system. As I recall, the intake gaskets would go on the 3.8, then the dex would start being exposed to air and start sludging. I run dex in my VW so I researched it thoroughly and am not convinced one way or the other.

The open cooling system/exposure to air hypothesis would explain issues that were not particular to the 3.8. I'm not sure I would choose dex again for a VW, generic VW coolant has become locally available since.

Originally Posted by redhat
Yes, those issues are gone. 2004+ is the Series III 3.8 with an aluminum upper and lower intake manifold.

I would drain and fill your radiator with fresh Dex-cool every couple years or so.

The main issues with the series 2 was the intake gaskets of the lower manifold and EGR passage burn thru of the plastic upper intake manifold. Lower intake manifold was always aluminum on series 2. All that was resolved with updated aftermarket parts. Unfortunately, both had those stupid plastic coolant elbows. If he still has those plastic elbows, I would replace them with the aluminum ones available with the AC/Delco o rings on them.
He should easily be able to go 3+ years with the Dexcool on his series 3.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back