Another stuck ATF drain plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, just called a local trans shop. I thikn I'll invest in a diagnosis to see if it is a crack or not, and what the solution would be.

Unless there is a bandaid I can do--like apply some formula to it?

If it was mine I would push some JB metal weld or something similar into the crack as it still looks dry. Running the vehicle creates vibrations and hot fluid should be thinner viscosity making it more likely to leak.
That said it might not leak at all.

Meaning if I get the vehicle running, I would see if it is a leak or not? I suppose I could run it in my driveway for 20-30 mins....

I'm seeing 18 different JB Weld products for metal.
smile.gif

https://www.jbweld.com/collections/metal

Originally Posted by cjcride
If it was mine I would push some JB metal weld or something similar into the crack as it still looks dry. Running the vehicle creates vibrations and hot fluid should be thinner viscosity making it more likely to leak.
That said it might not leak at all.

Last edited:
OK, there is a transmission place I can go to tomorrow morning, just to be sure. I think I'll have them check it out. I'll pour in some extra ATF I have lying around just to be sure, and then see what they say.

I highly doubt it is a crack.. Every Honda I've ever owned with aluminum pans has had something on it that looks like that. If it were a crack, it would be leaking.

Last edited:
Well I took it to a transmission shop, and they said there is no crack, it was just "casting," so I'll continue with my attempt at a drain & fill when the wind & rain dies down, probably tomorrow.

Sounds like a candidate for changing via a vacuum pump method to leave that area undisturbed and to get the fluid out on level ground.

That said my mother in-laws CRV hasn't been this much of a problem and it looks similar.
27.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by paulri
Well I took it to a transmission shop ... so I'll continue with my attempt at a drain & fill when the wind & rain dies down, probably tomorrow.

Why didn't you have them break it loose then snug it back up for you ?

Originally Posted by paulri
Well I took it to a transmission shop, and they said there is no crack, it was just "casting," ...
Glad it's just that. Was going to tell you if you run your finger over it and it felt raised, likely casting. Recessed something else, but even then I didn't consider it necessarily dire. Agree with the hallstevenson, while the shop had it up should have had them loosen the plug.

I think with the options listed, using one them you should be able break it loose and get to the d&f. I watched a youtube think it was your year Civic, guy used a rubber mallet to the ratchet on that one.

This drain plug sits "vertical", right, as in the fluid comes out sideways, not down ? If that's the case, it is tricky to get a breaker bar and extension on it unless it's raised up fairly high. You just don't have enough space / angle. I never considered using a floor jack but that sounds like a good idea along with just an 18-24" breaker bar (if there's room).

Yeah I should have asked the transmission guy to loosen the plug a little. I was just focused on if I'd have to pay a diagnostic fee, which I didn't.

The plug itself comes out sideways, yeah.

I think I will postpone this for a while. I already bought the fluid for both cars & a special atf long funnel, but I want to get the spark plugs changed this weekend, and it is already getting very busy for me, so it might be later on next week before I can go back to the atf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back