2015 Forester XT QSUD D1G2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks great. The FA engine is one of the best engines ever developed. Hang on to it!! It was a joint development by Subaru/Toyota in 2012 and in the unturbo state was 197HP and ffinally 205..Unturboed and again used 20 wt oil. The Turbo engine has won Wards best engines Three times since 2013. I was not ready to buy a 2018 Forester but since this was the last year for it in the Forester I had no choice. I only have 6800 miles on mine. I will do a UOA in maybe 6 months.

I wish they put the unturboed version in the Crosstrek. I might have bought it!

Last edited:
Not sure how I missed this thread, I have a '14 FXT and these UOAs are very interesting to me.
So weird about the high copper with the PP! There's gotta be a reasonable explanation for that.
Probably not worth worrying about too much as this engine has an oil cooler (which I think jbutch informed me about in another thread, I had no idea), but still strange.

jbutch, I hope your FXT has the updated CVT design that was introduced during the 2015MY.
Mine had a major CVT repair done at 80kmiles, at which point I learned that Subaru added a CVT fluid filter to later models that cannot be retrofitted to older cars.
I'm not sure if the lack of a filter could have contributed to my tranny starting to fail, but I did learn during the repair process that the same dealer put the wrong CVT fluid in it at 60kmiles.
I called to make sure they used the high torque CVT fluid after the repair and I was told, "Don't worry, the fluid we put in was just as green as what came out when we took the tranny apart."
I replied that that sounded weird to me as I thought the high torque fluid was orange, but as long as they were sure of what they were doing I was happy.
About 15 minutes later, the mechanic himself called me and told me to bring the car back ASAP...they finally figured out that they had used the wrong stuff both times.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Not sure how I missed this thread, I have a '14 FXT and these UOAs are very interesting to me.
So weird about the high copper with the PP! There's gotta be a reasonable explanation for that.
Probably not worth worrying about too much as this engine has an oil cooler (which I think jbutch informed me about in another thread, I had no idea), but still strange.

jbutch, I hope your FXT has the updated CVT design that was introduced during the 2015MY.
Mine had a major CVT repair done at 80kmiles, at which point I learned that Subaru added a CVT fluid filter to later models that cannot be retrofitted to older cars.
I'm not sure if the lack of a filter could have contributed to my tranny starting to fail, but I did learn during the repair process that the same dealer put the wrong CVT fluid in it at 60kmiles.
I called to make sure they used the high torque CVT fluid after the repair and I was told, "Don't worry, the fluid we put in was just as green as what came out when we took the tranny apart."
I replied that that sounded weird to me as I thought the high torque fluid was orange, but as long as they were sure of what they were doing I was happy.
About 15 minutes later, the mechanic himself called me and told me to bring the car back ASAP...they finally figured out that they had used the wrong stuff both times.

Yeah, I asked BS if they had other samples from Pennzoil and the same engine cross referenced with high copper and I was replied there was a handful.

I checked this and it seems I have the updated CVT according to my VIN.

I plan to change the CVT fluid at the dealer at 60k miles and I will insist that they put the right fluid in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jbutch

Yeah, I asked BS if they had other samples from Pennzoil and the same engine cross referenced with high copper and I was replied there was a handful.
I plan to change the CVT fluid at the dealer at 60k miles and I will insist that they put the right fluid in.

I think the main issue is that the FXTs are pretty rare and many of the techs probably just think Forester=0W20, regular CVT fluid, etc.
It's probably going to get even worse now that the FXT has been discontinued.
One of the reasons I started changing my own oil was that I kept getting the car back from the dealer with paperwork that said they put 0W20 in it and I would then be assured that "they must have used the right oil".
I have a ways to go since my CVT fluid was changed with the repair at 80kmiles, but I have read a few DIY change descriptions and might give it a go myself.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

I think the main issue is that the FXTs are pretty rare and many of the techs probably just think Forester=0W20, regular CVT fluid, etc.
It's probably going to get even worse now that the FXT has been discontinued.
One of the reasons I started changing my own oil was that I kept getting the car back from the dealer with paperwork that said they put 0W20 in it and I would then be assured that "they must have used the right oil".
I have a ways to go since my CVT fluid was changed with the repair at 80kmiles, but I have read a few DIY change descriptions and might give it a go myself.

If you look at the first sample on the BS report, you will see it has a signifiantly lower viscosity, I suspect they put in 0w-20 instead of 5w-30 at the dealer....

If you look at the first sample on the BS report, you will see it has a signifiantly lower viscosity, I suspect they put in 0w-20 instead of 5w-30 at the dealer....

Would not be surprised one bit!!
When I called the "service advisor" on the 0W20 shown on my paperwork, I saw brief looks of surprise and fear before they slipped into damage control mode...I think surprise that somebody actually read the paperwork and fear that there was a type of Forester that didn't use 0W20 and nobody in the shop realized that.

And when the engine was tested the rest oil sheerd yet the manufacturer deemed this acceptable.[/quote]
How is it the car manufactures can assemble $400,000.00 worth of parts into a $50,000.000 pile of junk

Originally Posted by CT8
And when the engine was tested the rest oil sheerd yet the manufacturer deemed this acceptable.

How is it the car manufactures can assemble $400,000.00 worth of parts into a $50,000.000 pile of junk[/quote]
I hope nobody has paid $50k US for an FXT unless it had been all modded up to heck for racing!
;^)

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
Whoa whoa, PP is causing oil cooler reactions???

It looks like it did for me in my engine for some reason. Some people says it's harmless but I don't want to take any chances.

It looks like it did for me in my engine for some reason. Some people says it's harmless but I don't want to take any chances.

That is concerning. I just filled my CTS-V up with PP 10w30. I'll have to run a sample.

That is concerning. I just filled my CTS-V up with PP 10w30. I'll have to run a sample.

I'm sure you are fine, I didn't want to scare anyone saying that, PP is a good oil, it's just that in my particular engine, it's doing that, and according to forums, I'm not the only one.

You guys tired of my UOA yet? I think I might be addicted...

I tried to reach 8000 km this time but we had such low temperature and I had quite a few short trips that I changed it a bit early.

Aluminum dropped back to normal but tin is up?

First time I see tin in my samples, anything to worry about?

[Linked Image]

I tried to reach 8000 km this time but we had such low temperature and I had quite a few short trips that I changed it a bit early.

[Linked Image]

Do you realize that your QS 5W30 is one of the thickest virgin oils out there....... around 11cst@100?
This engine is crying for an oil brand that doesn't shear as much.But it will cost you more than $19 per jug. Take your pick..... Castrol Edge, Mobil-1, Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline Advanced.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

[Linked Image]

Do you realize that your QS 5W30 is one of the thickest virgin oils out there....... around 11cst@100?
This engine is crying for an oil brand that doesn't shear as much.But it will cost you more than $19 per jug. Take your pick..... Castrol Edge, Mobil-1, Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline Advanced.

Both UOAs at 59k and 64k were with PP and it also sheared as much..

I think all GF5 oils will shear in this engine.

I'll provide a virtual uoa for half of the cost. I test fuel by ASTM OU812 and my results will be within 3% of Blackstone's.
grin2.gif

As far as all GF5 oils shearing, I believe between 2015+'s on nasioc and the DIT uoa's on the Forester forum, Pennzoil does seem to have a fair number of uoa's that shows it does stay in grade in these engines pretty regularly (not all as you've experienced). But then you get the wonky elevated copper. Of course these engines are known for high fuel dilution and I would be curious to see your fuel number tested by GC.

Presume you are keeping all oil receipts and not doing any engine/ecu mods. Hopefully the tin uptick is just uoa noise, but this is not something that you will always be able to tell with one concerning uoa. I would probably even scale back on intervals running a GF5 oil.

Last edited:
Do you realize that your QS 5W30 is one of the thickest virgin oils out there....... around 11cst@100?This engine is crying for an oil brand that doesn't shear as much.But it will cost you more than $19 per jug.
Both UOAs at 59k and 64k were with PP and it also sheared as much..I think all GF5 oils will shear in this engine.

I'd use Shell Rotella Multi-Vehicle 5w30 in this shear-dilution engine. It is SN, and 5w30, so meets Subaru's specs, if you ignore the GF-5 part which just means this oil isn't as MPG-saving. Its LSPI resistant with low levels of calcium. Lots of tough diesel engine certifications to go with the gasoline SN rating. ...
Cheap, sort of, on Walmart's website, usually ordered for pick-up in person at Walmart, not stocked there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CT8
And when the engine was tested the rest oil sheerd yet the manufacturer deemed this acceptable.

How is it the car manufactures can assemble $400,000.00 worth of parts into a $50,000.000 pile of junk[/quote]

Your post makes 0 sense.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Do you realize that your QS 5W30 is one of the thickest virgin oils out there....... around 11cst@100?This engine is crying for an oil brand that doesn't shear as much.But it will cost you more than $19 per jug.
Both UOAs at 59k and 64k were with PP and it also sheared as much..I think all GF5 oils will shear in this engine.

I'd use Shell Rotella Multi-Vehicle 5w30 in this shear-dilution engine. It is SN, and 5w30, so meets Subaru's specs, if you ignore the GF-5 part which just means this oil isn't as MPG-saving. Its LSPI resistant with low levels of calcium. Lots of tough diesel engine certifications to go with the gasoline SN rating. ...
Cheap, sort of, on Walmart's website, usually ordered for pick-up in person at Walmart, not stocked there.

So what motor oil shears and the sky is blue.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies

This looks interesting, however I do not know where to find it in Canada...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back