Lead Substitute

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy all. I have just acquired a very low mileage military Triumph motorcycle from the early 50s. I was wondering if there is a good lead substitute additive that I can use on this old engine?

TetraBOOST E-Guard is the gold standard, not cheap and from the UK , Penrite valve shield is good. Redline offers one but I have never used it but the company has a good rep so I think its worth a look.

BTW, nice pre unit Trumpet, I had a 62. Do not let anyone talk you into doing the seats, I had a few buggered almost irreplaceable heads when they tried, one on a HD and the other a BSA lightning.

Last edited:
Redline is good. There was an extensive series of tests done a while ago by one of the UK classic car organizations. They tested several additives and, of the ones available in the US (not sure about Canada), Redline was the best. There were several that did very well but, because they contain phosphorus (if I remember correctly), they cannot be sold here. Let me see if I can find the link.

Pic of the bike please and congrats!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wings&wheels
Pic of the bike please and congrats!

mGdM3kW

tcQ1KYg

I have been through this for the last 25 years with British cars.
Often I have found the use of Lead substiute can cause more problems than not using it, with deposits causing pre ignition.

It seem when there is a problem it manifests after use involving prolonged use under load at high rpm.

For the last 15 years I have resolved not to use anything, but monitor for any VSR (there has not been any)

Originally Posted by DGXR
Forgive my ignorance, but that motor looks like a 2-cycle. Maybe it's a flathead 4-cycle?

It is, indeed, a sidevalve (flathead) 500 cc twin. It's got about 8 to 1 compression and 15 horsepower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back