2010 Corolla cartridge filter (Denso) @ 10000 miles with pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JC1
Looks good! Thanks for the extra Pics. The new filter looks like the pleat spacing is more uniform.

]Was there anything caught down in the deep part of the pleats of the used filter? That sealant looks pretty stout.

I've never seen one of these style filters with tears at the ends. Maybe I haven't been looking closely enough with the posts here.

Thinking about it I think this design would be less likely to tear actually. There is no encap to prevent a little bit more flexibility. As long as the pleat ends are each sealed well it seems like a smart design.

Looks great, BUT, I am curious what kind of miles are on this oil. 10k start & stop miles are radically different than 10k highway miles.

Originally Posted by DGXR
Looks great, BUT, I am curious what kind of miles are on this oil. 10k start & stop miles are radically different than 10k highway miles.

I am a very conscientious driver. I also drive my cars very gently. I have a lot of highways nearby. I would guess the car is driven 70-30% highway miles at 65 MPH.
The car averages 31-32 MPG in winter and up to about 38 in the summer. In 45 years of owning well over 50 cars, trucks and motor homes , I have never blown a motor.
One had 329000 miles , one had 240 , and quite a few had 150-180000. All ran when sold so i never worried about special oils. Just keep them full and change when it looks dark , gritty, or sheared.
This fill that you saw was 5w20 conventional chevron i think ( $1/gallon from a garage sale) and the new fill was 5w20 semi-synthetic delco..
The delco was $25/case from a facebook ad at a used tire store. There is a lot of it floating around this area. Delco changed bottles and there is a warehouse full somewhere.

Originally Posted by Pinoak
Originally Posted by JC1
... Was there anything caught down in the deep part of the pleats of the used filter? That sealant looks pretty stout.

I've never seen one of these style filters with tears at the ends. ...
Thinking about it I think this design would be less likely to tear actually. ... As long as the pleat ends are each sealed well it seems like a smart design.
That's correct, and there are other advantages as well. I've seen some cartridges of this type, of another brand, that appeared not to be sealed as well at the ends of pleats as Densos are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back