Fords new 7.3 liter engine is a pushrod engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW - Over 100 million SBC engines have been built............................

and still being built today.

Last edited:
This will probably be an amazing engine-swap down the road once they hit the junk yards in crashed trucks. Iron block, port injection, 7.3 liters plus an aftermarket twin turbo kit. Massive power and torque!

Last edited:
Looks to be a beast, I would say 500 horse 575 torque are modest estimates. Big displacement, likely long stroke, cast iron block with cross-bolted mains and a gear-driven timing setup with VVT. I dig it.

It almost looks like a carbon copy of the SBC too, unless Ford went back into the history books and looked up the 5.0/5.8L OHV V8s they made years ago.

And I thought Ford was a big proponent of overhead cam power too?

Originally Posted by nthach
It almost looks like a carbon copy of the SBC too, unless Ford went back into the history books and looked up the 5.0/5.8L OHV V8s they made years ago.

I don't find it bears any resemblance to the SBC? It doesn't have siamesed ports, if anything I think it looks more like the FR9:
[Linked Image]

Considering the inspiration for the Modular was the 427SOHC, I don't think it would be surprising if their efforts for another pushrod mill resemble the Windsor.

And yes, Ford has put a lot of effort into OHC V8's since the 1990's, but they have brought with them their own suite of issues.

Originally Posted by hatt
Originally Posted by racin4ds
This should be a HORSE of an engine. Fords V10 was only a 6.8L mill if I recall. The Biggest gas truck engine to date was the GM 8.1L I just don't see the need for such a large gas engine that will undoubtedly get horrible economy. Why not just buy a diesel if you require this much towing capability?

My notoriously hated 05 PSD with the 6.0 averaged 15-16-mpg loaded to the gills hauling a 3 horse trailer with living quarters, 3 fat mares, tons of excess junk and other items when we moved from WV to Florida, over 975 miles.

Not everyone hauls 20k lbs every day. A more powerful gasser is the ticket. The operating cost are much higher for a diesel. Back when diesel was cheaper than gas you may have made the numbers work. Now diesel is $.60-.80 higher than gas. Never mind DEF, particulate filters, and all the other nonsense on diesels now.

I also had a 6.0. It was used to pull duel tandam 20k trailers every day. It got less than 10 mpgs pulling a load. I'm going to question your loaded mpg numbers.

Diesels were literally regulated out of the market! Started with Low Sulfur fuel, idiots didn't want to see Big Rigs rolling coal, and yes diesel should be cheaper than gas.

Last edited:

They are for the most part. However trying to make a tall deck big bore DOHC V8 isn't very do-able in any modern application as far as packaging goes.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
I don't find it bears any resemblance to the SBC? It doesn't have siamesed ports, if anything I think it looks more like the FR9:
[Linked Image]

20.gif
the FR9 is so sexy. They have one at the NASCAR Hall of Fame and I was fogging the glass looking at it.

I'm going to guess that if they can get this engine past 150K miles without the exhaust manifold bolts breaking off.......it will be a winner.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Looks like that new 7.3L gas engine will be seeing school bus duty.

If Ford doesn't kill off the Econoline cutaway chassis, I can see that. The Transit is making a slow entry into the school bus market.

I can see lots of paratransit vans using these as well.

Glad to see the V8 making its return to the Raptor. Dodge is also rumored to have a 426 coming out. Something about big block V8s...enjoy them while they last. Really loving the 6.2 supercharged Hemi with the A8 transmission. Take care all.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Looks like that new 7.3L gas engine will be seeing school bus duty.

If Ford doesn't kill off the Econoline cutaway chassis, I can see that. The Transit is making a slow entry into the school bus market.

I can see lots of paratransit vans using these as well.

Doubt it...the Transit already has its own line of engines.

I have a friend that works at KTP - Ford plant as a product development engineer in Louisville and he showed me this engine a few months back. Kind of interesting how they camo and hide everything even in the plant. He is really bragging this motor up saying it is much better than the old gasser it is replacing. Surprised me how much back pressure this engine produce on our exhaust system. Clamp of old exhaust was not strong enough and broke loose. They measured over 1,500 lbs of back pressure on the exhaust system.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by KrisZ
Nothing wrong with pushrod engines. Like any engineering solutions, they have their advantages and disadvantages. OHC engines, although seen as modern, have a lot of disadvantages that keeps the pushrod engines employed to this day.

There's something to be said for the simplicity and reliability of pushrod mills. GM's success with the LSx family, and its compact nature, as well as Mopar's HEMI have proven it isn't obsolete yet. I couldn't imagine trying to turn a wrench on a comparable displacement OHC mill in my Jeep
crazy2.gif

My understanding is OHC is more advantageous in high revving engines . Typically , diesel engines are lower revving , where push rod system is fine .

Originally Posted by spk2000
I have a friend that works at KTP - Ford plant as a product development engineer in Louisville and he showed me this engine a few months back. Kind of interesting how they camo and hide everything even in the plant. He is really bragging this motor up saying it is much better than the old gasser it is replacing. Surprised me how much back pressure this engine produce on our exhaust system. Clamp of old exhaust was not strong enough and broke loose. They measured over 1,500 lbs of back pressure on the exhaust system.

Before or after the turbo ?

This is great something modern with some big grunt that gets around all the diesel complexity and bolt on windmills.

A modern big pushrod mill with variable timing and a high BSFC sounds like a killer package.

Mated to a wide 10 speed it could get decent mileage.

UD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back