buying oil based on the "stars"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The infamous star comparison on the back of oil jugs/bottles.

If I see a oil rated two stars (at cleaning/etc) and I see the Synthetic has four stars(out of a five star rating system, same company), I can say that the Synthetic is at least 20% better performance?

Last edited:
LOL

If you wait for sales you can get synthetic M1 and PPP for less than conventional. The only reason to consider conventional is cost. Modern times and a little strategic shopping and you can get the best of both worlds.

The stars are purely marketing. No engineering behind them.

Stars?

edit: Ok, I went and looked, only my M1EP and newer Pennzoil Platinum bottles have any star scoring chart on them.
Older Pennzoil, Valvoline, Castrol, Rotella, Delo, Havoline and Peak oil bottles do not have any stars on them.

So yeah, just a marketing thing.

Originally Posted by bbhero
When I saw this thread topic I thought we were looking at the night time stars.. or reading our astrology stuff in the news paper
lol.gif

I was thinking similar, how the stars align helps me make my choice of what oil I use...
about as good a way as any now days...

Last edited:
When I saw this thread topic I thought we were looking at the night time stars.. or reading our astrology stuff in the news paper
lol.gif

Originally Posted by bbhero
lol.gif

IMHO, that's also a good way to choose a decent oil!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL

If I see a oil rated two stars (at cleaning/etc) and I see the Synthetic has four stars(out of a five star rating system, same company), I can say that the Synthetic is at least 20% better performance?

Only 20% better?

I've noticed my wallet is lighter the more stars on the bottle. Car runs the same no matter how many stars are on there.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Only 20% better?

Assuming the increases are linear, but I bet they are parabolaic.

Last edited:
Conventional = brown dwarf
Blend = Sun sized star
Synth = spiral galaxy
Long-drain synth = quasar!!!!

First time synth user..."My god, it's full of stars!!"

Originally Posted by PimTac

Only 20% better?

It is more likely 2%.

Originally Posted by blupupher
Stars?

edit: Ok, I went and looked, only my M1EP and newer Pennzoil Platinum bottles have any star scoring chart on them.
Older Pennzoil, Valvoline, Castrol, Rotella, Delo, Havoline and Peak oil bottles do not have any stars on them.

So yeah, just a marketing thing.

I know it's changed since Chevron rebranded Havoline as a Chevron product, but did the Texaco star count?

Originally Posted by blupupher
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Someone say stars? I guess Supertech is not as good as it only has three stars for their synthetic.
lol.gif

But three stars out of how many???

Billions and billions...
- Carl Sagan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back