Renewable Lubricant 5w40 Low Ash or Regular

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like this stuff is available on Amazon now. I recall from a few months ago this was considered the best of the best exceeding even RedLine in boutique oils. If I were to for some crazy reason not use Castrol 0w40 in my Audi, I wonder if I should go for the Low Ash or regular? This is a DI turbo motor...

Low ash is what performed well in the RS4. The other stuff is CI-4+ and has higher ZDDP which may shorten the lifespan of your catalytic converters.

Used it for awhile in my tuned VW GTI, and had very good results with it. UOA had super low wear and nitration numbers and handled fuel dilution like a champ. Had one small issue that may or may not be attributable to the oil. Had CEL for implausible signal from VVT and could have been from viscosity drag in the tiny orifices of the unit. Seems to have been a known issue for some and an oil change resolved the issue which is what others have done as well. Switched at that time to the Castrol 0W-40 and never had the issue again for the past 30K. Switched mainly for cost and availability reasons, but UOA on this oil showed almost exactly the same results as the RLI. If I couldn't source the Castrol, and wanted to go back to another "boutique" oil, there would be no question RLI is on the the short list. Just make sure to get the Super High Performance low ash version.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
The original RI_RS4 formula wasn't the low-ash one. The low-ash formula came years later.

That's not what the RLI website says

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
The original RI_RS4 formula wasn't the low-ash one. The low-ash formula came years later.

That is correct. RLI was custom-blending for me at approximately the same time as the RI_RS4 work. That was definitely and unequivocally the HD (not low-ash) formula.

I have no knowledge of whether the low-ash version was _also_ formulated for the RS4 engine, or in conjunction with the same people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back