Fuel Cleaners on UOAs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious if cleaners such as Techron, LM Jectron, and Redline SI2 would show on a UOA right before changing the oil? Ive had two UOAs done 40k apart and both times, Blackstone noted TR for trace in the Fuel% field. My flashpoint was listed as 375 and supposed to be >375. Im curious if its the cleaners or something else causing this odd readings. My wear metals look perfectly fine and are either low or meet universal averages.

Thanks

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 35
I had a UOA come back with high "manganese" . A helpful BITOGer noted that this can come from some octane boosters, and in fact I had used Lucas Octane booster. But I would suggest you check the ignition system: plugs, coils, wires etc.
I had a high fuel reading on a motorcycle that was traced back to a bad "plug cap" which on many motorcycles has a built in resistor. It was a $10 part but many hours of diagnosis was required.

Last edited:
Which one ?
Liqui Moly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40 (SN, A3/B4, 229.5)
Liqui Moly Leichtlauf HC 7 5W-40 (SN, A3/B4, 229.3)

While troubleshooting leaky injector(s) on my Ford 3.0, I ran a series of fuel injector cleaners...Berryman's B12, Red Line, and Techron Concentrate. The engine was hard to re-start at operating temp, long cranking time and initial stumble, and blew black smoke out the exhaust when it did start. UOA is below on Valvoline 5W-30 Synthetic High Mileage...no discernible impact on the oil.

edit: I ended up replacing the injectors with new ones from Ford, problem solved.

05_Mariner_Nov2018_oil.jpg

Last edited:
Nice UOA.

Yes, elements from fuel additives can get into the oil. Have seen it numerous times. Not sure whether the particular additives you mentioned have any metals in them that would be picked up in a UOA.

Can't trust Blackstone's allegations on fuel dilution, because they don't use GC and don't actually measure fuel dilution. Have seen numerous instances where Blackstone said TR for oils that had over 5% fuel. If you want to really know if you have fuel dilution, use a lab that uses gas chromatography (GC) to measure fuel dilution.

Obviously, it's much more likely for elements from a fuel additive to make their way into the oil in an engine subject to fuel dilution.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back