10W40 For Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 126,000 miles on it and I've used various oils and you are right, seems it don't care what oil I use.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by doolah02
I was thinking of using a 10W40 oil this summer in a 2001 4.0 SOHC engine. I'm in South Florida and I thought
the heavier oil would be ok for the summer months.

What's the manual specify? If it's xW-20 then just run a good 5W-30.

I think those 4.0 SOHC engines spec 5w-30 to begin with.

I see no issues as I ran a 10w-40 in my wife's Mountaineer that specs a 5w-20. It has had no issues aside some slow cranking now that it's cold out. I did mean to change it out for something more winter friendly but haven't gotten to it yet.

Won't 15-40 effect catalytic converters since it's a diesel oil?

If you're burning that much I guess it could? It should be fine if it's dual-rated, but I'm not sure that 14w-40's are.

I have a minor leak from an o ring in the filter mount but it doesn't burn any oil at all.

I have Kendall Endurance 10W30 in it now without any problems, been using it for about 2 years now.

I'd just use 10W-30 if it were me, easier to come by and a perfect balance for that climate.

Originally Posted by Nickdfresh
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
I was thinking of using a 10W40 oil this summer in a 2001 4.0 SOHC engine. I'm in South Florida and I thought
the heavier oil would be ok for the summer months.

What's the manual specify? If it's xW-20 then just run a good 5W-30.

Those engines always spec'd 5W-30...

I agree. I have a 94' Ranger w a 4.0 OHV. I ran 10-40 in it and the engine rpm took longer to spool up. Any 30w would do better. Heck I am running 0-20 SS Amsoil in it now and it has NEVER been quieter.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
I use straight SAE 40 wt. for years in SE TX summers. Worked perfect. Zero issues.

What vehicle, year and engine? Does it have a dinosaur tail on it?..... lol

I use straight SAE 40 wt. for years in SE TX summers. Worked perfect. Zero issues.

I thought that the big issue with API rated straight weight oils is that they're not required to meet many of the requirements for emissions protection for modern cars spec'ed for multiweight oils.

Also - the definition is somewhat different compared to what it would have been 40 years ago. It might even be a Group II base oil that might technically meet something like a 20W-40 requirement.

But I do agree with the other comment that the most important consideration is probably the cooling system.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

What vehicle, year and engine? Does it have a dinosaur tail on it?..... lol

Dads 1997 Chevy truck I inherited. I had a bunch of Pennzoil SAE 40 I got almost free. I decided to use it in the SE TX summers. When its 95-100 degrees every day, the SAE 40 and a 10w-40 is almost the same.

Originally Posted by y_p_w

I thought that the big issue with API rated straight weight oils is that they're not required to meet many of the requirements for emissions protection for modern cars spec'ed for multiweight oils.

Also - the definition is somewhat different compared to what it would have been 40 years ago. It might even be a Group II base oil that might technically meet something like a 20W-40 requirement.

But I do agree with the other comment that the most important consideration is probably the cooling system.

You are right, but it was high quality Pennzoil. Of course CAFE would not approve such, but it worked perfect in the truck. I may have lost a 0.5 MPG or so, but if I did I did not even notice. All sounds, MPG, oil pressure, etc, stayed almost unchanged. I did it for years and the truck still performes perfectly.

In old days everyone used 10Wx40. I used it in very cold places ... also junkyards had less cars than now
grin.gif

Originally Posted by OilUzer
In old days everyone used 10Wx40. I used it in very cold places ... also junkyards had less cars than now
grin.gif

There were less cars period

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back