Fords new 7.3 liter engine is a pushrod engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fords new 7.3 liter engine for their HD trucks. Doesn't look like an OHC engine to me...

7D32FF87-A008-4C38-93E7-309135CB9198.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot to add that I just got this from automotive news. Far cry from their OHC offerings. When I bought my ‘11 FX4 you could get the 6.2 OHC engine as an option.
Hope this isn't old news.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Nothing wrong with pushrod engines. Like any engineering solutions, they have their advantages and disadvantages. OHC engines, although seen as modern, have a lot of disadvantages that keeps the pushrod engines employed to this day.

There's something to be said for the simplicity and reliability of pushrod mills. GM's success with the LSx family, and its compact nature, as well as Mopar's HEMI have proven it isn't obsolete yet. I couldn't imagine trying to turn a wrench on a comparable displacement OHC mill in my Jeep
crazy2.gif

The new 7.3 is indeed a pushrod engine. Cheap, simple, and plenty efficient for the rpm range they will be operating.

Yep, yep, and yep. Low end torque, lighter (to increase available payload for one), simple reliability and proven design durability. They'll probably put a 5w40 in it and never look back.

Last edited:
I'm curious to see how this engine does. I'll probably be in the truck market in a few years.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Yep, yep, and yep. Low end torque, lighter (to increase available payload for one), simple reliability and proven design durability. They'll probably put a 5w40 in it and never look back.

Oil cap in the video I watched showed 5w-30.

Originally Posted by Danno
I take it the power ratings haven't been released for the 7.3L gas or the Gen 3 6.7L diesel ?

Negative but the new 6.7 is rumored to be in the 500hp and 1000+ft-lb range.

Originally Posted by Danno
I take it the power ratings haven't been released for the 7.3L gas or the Gen 3 6.7L diesel ?

Now that RAM and GM have released their power and towing numbers, Ford will undoubtedly claim more.

This should be a HORSE of an engine. Fords V10 was only a 6.8L mill if I recall. The Biggest gas truck engine to date was the GM 8.1L I just don't see the need for such a large gas engine that will undoubtedly get horrible economy. Why not just buy a diesel if you require this much towing capability?

My notoriously hated 05 PSD with the 6.0 averaged 15-16-mpg loaded to the gills hauling a 3 horse trailer with living quarters, 3 fat mares, tons of excess junk and other items when we moved from WV to Florida, over 975 miles.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
This should be a HORSE of an engine. Fords V10 was only a 6.8L mill if I recall. The Biggest gas truck engine to date was the GM 8.1L I just don't see the need for such a large gas engine that will undoubtedly get horrible economy. Why not just buy a diesel if you require this much towing capability?

My notoriously hated 05 PSD with the 6.0 averaged 15-16-mpg loaded to the gills hauling a 3 horse trailer with living quarters, 3 fat mares, tons of excess junk and other items when we moved from WV to Florida, over 975 miles.

Not everyone hauls 20k lbs every day. A more powerful gasser is the ticket. The operating cost are much higher for a diesel. Back when diesel was cheaper than gas you may have made the numbers work. Now diesel is $.60-.80 higher than gas. Never mind DEF, particulate filters, and all the other nonsense on diesels now.

I also had a 6.0. It was used to pull duel tandam 20k trailers every day. It got less than 10 mpgs pulling a load. I'm going to question your loaded mpg numbers.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
The Biggest gas truck engine to date was the GM 8.1L

I guess that depends on your criteria. GM has had 637 CI V8, and 702 CI V12 gas truck engines. Albeit in medium duty trucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back