Tranny Fluid for 1996 Volvo 850 GLT

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's getting to be time to change the tranny fluid in the auto tranny in my mom's Volvo. A local service station said they will use whatever fluid I want if I provide it. They have a machine similar to a T-Tec. The machine requires 16qts of tranny fluid for the full flush and replacement(gonna be expensive). My mom does not drive the car hard or particularly fast. Would it be worthwhile for me to get a synthetic fluid like Mobil1, Redline, or Amsoil in this situation? If not I'll just have them use whatever they have.

The tranny does normally shift smoothly on the conventional fluid that's in it. Is this tranny prone to any problems that would warrant the extremely high cost of using synthetics($64 for Mobil1, $128 for amsoil, $128 for Redline)?

--Matt

The AT's used in the FWD Volvo's are, IMHO, prone to "issues" - they are built by AW (Aisin Warner), except the S80 which had a GM tranny initially (weird now that Ford owns Volvo).

Anyhow - some of the issues can be prevented with synthetic ATF - others such as the PNP switch failure have nothing to do with ATF choice.

I would use synthetic - but it's your call.

Volvo recommend a change (dropping the drain plug) and refilling with new stuff every 20K. We flushed all three of our Volvos with Amsoil Synthetic ATF. This product will enable the trans to operate cooler in the summer. Not really expensive when you consider it should be good for three times the normal change interval, about 60,000 miles. No screen or filter service so the transmission should be all set for quite some time. I think the FWD 850 takes about 8 quarts, the RWD's about 10.

Buy a case (12 quarts) That's all you need.

I have no experience with other synthetic ATF's. I have had very good service with this product and recommended it to others who use it.

I have to provide 16 quarts to use their system there(so they tell me at least). They said it needs to be filled on the fresh fluid side to work.

--Matt

Yep, listen to your shop for quantity. Displacement swap flushing requires extra fluid. 16 quarts is the right amount if you don't have a drain plug. If you have a drain plug, you should have it drain/refilled prior to the flush. This will take an additional xx quarts.

If the transmission has a drain plug, you could start performing drain/refills with the oil changes to avoid the flush and save money.

Transmissions are expensive. Pick a synthetic and use it!

Matt, how many miles on that ATF and the transmission? If you're getting into high milage I'd do an Auto-Rx or Schaeffer's Neutra #131 cleaning of the transmission first...6 oz. of Auto-Rx or 12 oz. of Neutra, drive for 1000-1500 miles, do your flush, add a 5/32" in-line filter in the transmission cooling line.

I put synthetic ATF in my Volvo 850...Amsoil the first time, and when the lab analysis says to change it next time, I'll use Schaeffer's #204S.

I also Auto-Rx'ed the power steering (one tablespoon), changed to syn ATF, and added a 3/8" in-line filter in the return line.

Ken

18k on the ATF, 67k on the tranny. I would hardly call it high mileage. How do you flush the power steering system on that car and what is the capacity of it?

--Matt

Suck the power steering fluid out of the reservoir with any handy device, or remove the suction hose and drain it. Refill with new ATF, drive, and repeat once or twice more. You'll get three changes or more from a quart.

Ken

I've heard some places that ATF and PS Fluid are the same thing, yet other places seen recommendations to stick to ps fluid. Are you 100% sure it doesn't do any dammage?

and as far as auto-rx'ing it, how long did you run the RX in there for?

--Matt

oh, I see now...the PS system uses ATF from the factory. I'd still like to know tho, I want to switch my saturn over.

--Matt

I've had Chevron Dextron III with LubeGard added to it in my S70 T5 for the last 27,000 miles. It still looks new. The early and mid 90s AW trannys did have their share of problems. The new models don't seem to have the same worries...yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back