NASCAR to disqualify race wins if car fails post race inspection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That should help
smile.gif

Under the new system, the runner-up will be declared the winner and the team with the illegal car will receive only one championship point.
Inspections will now be completed at the track, a process that should take about 90 minutes.

NASCAR to strip race wins

Sounds like the penalties are increasing but the inspections are less thorough.

Nascar has been dropping year after year. They need to worry about the stands than the cars right now.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
NASCAR died when # 3 died.

Sad but true.

I second this! And now that pretty much all the big names are retired, including Jr., it's going to sink even further. The 80's and 90's were the golden era of NASCAR in my opinion. There's not many active drivers right now that inspire and encourage people to watch and root for, they're all mostly bland cookie cutters.

Nowadays it's all about how far they can go on a tank of fuel, overbearing safety nonsense, and just the general dumbing down of a once exciting, dangerous sport. I'm not saying the cars shouldn't be safe, but now that they're safer than ever, quit making the rules so stiff on bumping and drafting. Let them boys go out and RACE not piddle paddle around like a soft contact sport, switch to the golf channel if you want that!

Oh and get rid of the Chase playoff format for the championship, that needs to go! Racing isn't anything NFL, MLB or NBA, so quit trying to make it that way. Whoever racks up the most points during the season wins the championship, and everyone has a shot at it instead of only 10 or so drivers once the Chase starts, keep it simple please!

IMO, as it should be.
Not a win if you are a cheater.
AMA Supercross has taken wins away for illegal fuels. Right about the time that world switched from 2 stroke to 4, there was a team stripped of a win. The semi tank used to fuel the bikes had a small amount of C12 in it. Enough to make the added unleaded illegal.
I think a couple of Olympic gold metals should be taken away. There's no way that could pass a tech inspection either.

Last edited:
Biggest problem is there is little differentiation between the cars and drivers. Jogies3 is right..all bland cookie cutters. You want excitement back?..try a Le Mans start of the race! Yes it is dangerous..so is racing.

Go back to the manufactures and get the cars closer to production cars...probably not possible..but there need is be something to make the race more sporting.

In the old days the winner(s) could be "protested" and the engine inspected, usually just the top end..for displacement irregularities or other rule issues. If a fault was found..then it was disqualified. No points.
[Linked Image]

My two cents.. Fan base is unable to replenish itself due to a lack of interest and the "electrification" of passenger cars.

NASCAR died when Toyota was allowed to enter a Camry and then Toyota spending millions to line the pockets of NASCAR to make sure their cars/drivers performed. #3 and Jr. are gone, It's still a great sport but just needs some revamping, still 10 times better than the NFL!

Only the major US automakers should be allowed to race, cars must be production based, RWD and V8 option from the factory. Yes, I know the Fusion wasn't, but now we have the Mustang and Camaro as it should be. Time to boot Toyota and bring back Dodge. No stages and no playoff BS.

Originally Posted by shanneba
That should help
smile.gif

Under the new system, the runner-up will be declared the winner and the team with the illegal car will receive only one championship point.
Inspections will now be completed at the track, a process that should take about 90 minutes.

They should be disqualified from the next race and lose 10 points. Why would you promote cheating by awarding them a point.

Charlotte's Roval is the answer to NASCAR's problem.

Ditch the ovals, loosen up the rulebook, make the racing exciting.

We have some work class racetracks that sit unused by NASCAR.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Charlotte's Roval is the answer to NASCAR's problem.

Ditch the ovals, loosen up the rulebook, make the racing exciting.

We have some work class racetracks that sit unused by NASCAR.

LOL yah they could make it interesting and make them figure 8 tracks.

Auto racing went into a decline when people's every day transportation became impossible to alter or modify. Cars have become incredibly complex. How many times have you read that there is more computing power in a modern Chevy Impala than there was in the Apollo space capsules. Fuel injection, ECUs, emission control, etc., took the primary source of fun away from the enthusiast - that being engine modification.

And then you have all the safety standards. An enthusiast cannot even put an after market steering wheel in a car now days. Not to mention the overall tightness of packaging which makes working on modern cars far more difficult.

So all that leaves the enthusiast is after market air filters and exhausts - just so long as they're CAT back exhausts - and don't even think about headers because those will flunk the visual inspection during an emissions test.

But fortunately we can still modify suspensions, brakes, wheels and tires; and even do our own oil changes. But even that is threatened. We all saw the all-in-one cartridge that one of the automakers (BMW?) was experimenting with. This cartridge included oil and filter, thus limiting our choice on which brand oil and filter we could use. And it would probably require hookup to the dealer's computer diagnostics system so a code could be reset when it was changed!

[censored], I can't even swap the battery with an identical size and type in my E90 BMW without needing a scan tool. And if I change the battery size and type (like the AGM I recently put in it), I need dealer-level computer diagnostics to tell my car that it has a new battery type!!!

Given all this, it's no surprise that auto racing of all types is suffering. It's not just NASCAR. Four of five years ago I went to the IndyCar race at Fontana. I'd never seen a super speedway race because I'm a road racer at heart. Anyway, the fan base looked like they emptied out every senior living home in the entire LA basin. The stands were virtually empty, 5000 fans I'd guess. And every one of them either had no hair, or had white hair like me!

Here is another perfect example of how things have changed. I read PlanetF1 every morning. They cover F1 primarily, but cover other series as well. Just recently they started covering the video game version of F1. There is actually a series for that kind of racing, one where "world champions" are made. What an EFFING joke!

And with all due respect to the BITOG members here, I don't think there are many true "gear heads" on this forum. The last engine and transmission I R&R'd was the V12 out of my E-type Jag (replaced clutch, engine mounts, and exhaust manifold gaskets). I pulled the engine and transmission in one piece - in my garage. My wife helped me. That Jag was incredibly complex but it was all nuts and bolts, not one inch thick wiring looms that branched off to dozens of unknown electronic controllers and devices.

In summary, it's not "auto racing" that's dying. It's the "gear heads" who are dying, and with that goes the death of auto racing.

Scott

Why aren't cars checked before the race ? Cheating is cheating so even if a car doesn't finish but cheating, why aren't they punished too ?

I'm surprised to find out this isn't already standard procedure. I've seen dirt track cars weighed at the end of a race, and I would imagine inspected in some way. I was the pit crew once or twice for a bomber car at little country track, and they even checked carbs and made sure the heads weren't aluminum before the race.

They should just make the top 3 cars available for "claim" directly after the race. The "claim" price of $25,000 would drastically even the playing field very quickly and encourage grassroots participation. BTW, any top 3 car that cannot be driven away to its new owner after the race will be stripped of all points accumulated for the season. This would ensure drive train longevity and lower costs and allow just about anyone access to race with a very meager budget. The driving talent would naturally rise to the top.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by shanneba
That should help
smile.gif

They should be disqualified from the next race and lose 10 points. Why would you promote cheating by awarding them a point.

thumbsup2.gif
Remove points for cheating...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back