TU-22 Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wing sweep was automatic, driven by the air data computer. Basically, they programmed as a function of Mach, not airspeed, and move forward and aft as appropriate.

The pilot could take manual control with a switch in the throttle, and place them anywhere equal to, or aft, of the computed forward limit for your flight regime. If you exceeded the limit while in manual (I.e. sped up) then the wings would go back into auto and program aft, and forward again when you decelerated.

The pilot could take emergency control, using a mechanical handle under a guard by the throttles, and position the wings to any angle without regard to airspeed or structural limits. This handle was also used to place the wings in oversweep, which was the configuration in which the airplane was parked on a carrier deck.

If you're interested in the airplane, I once ran a big thread on the F-14 in BITOG...

I'll bump it.

Cheers,

Originally Posted by Linctex

I have personally done line maintenance on Vladimir Putin's Ilyushin IL-62 when he came to visit GW Bush in Waco.

Russian aircraft are NOT maintained to the same standard as US aircraft - - AT ALL!!

A. How did you get that opportunity to work on Putin's plane? I always thought he would fly a chartered Aeroflot plane if he needed to go outside of Russia/East Asia.

B. With the amount of Russian planes in ex-soviet bloc countries and Russian allies like North Korea/Cuba/Poland/China/Venezuela/Ukraine, I think the Russians have designed a high level of tolerance to abuse and poor operations at the expense of a "quality" product. But I wonder if the same is true over at Volga-Dnepr or Antonov, who are the exclusive operators of Antonov's heavy cargo planes that see a fair amount of use outside of Russia.

Originally Posted by Shannow
And the plane can be scaled down and perform exactly as the full size plane....

That did look pretty similar, didn't it?
wink.gif

Originally Posted by nthach
Originally Posted by Linctex

I have personally done line maintenance on Vladimir Putin's Ilyushin IL-62 when he came to visit GW Bush in Waco.

Russian aircraft are NOT maintained to the same standard as US aircraft - - AT ALL!!

A. How did you get that opportunity to work on Putin's plane? I always thought he would fly a chartered Aeroflot plane if he needed to go outside of Russia/East Asia.

I am questioning myself the same question......
I would expect that in case of maintenance of any "Air Force One" there would be only domestic maintenance crew allowed to touch anything...
Can you imagine what could happen if russian AF1 falls down....just by a coincidence......a WW3?

And btw IL62 was Jelcin`s AF1....Putin has IL96

I wouldn't touch Putin's plane for a fortune. Maybe somebody gets an idea in their head and I'm never seen again. We have some retired characters like him down here who probably should be tried by the Hague for their actions in the Caribbean and Central America. We were asked to do work on one such individual's yacht and I politely declined.

To my uneducated eye, that C-17 looked like it was baiting a stall the whole flight. But perhaps airshow theatrics are supposed to look like that.

I'm in agreement with Astro on the TU. After reading about the plane that crashed in Far Rockaway and the roofless Aloha flight, it seems clear to me that it doesn't take ridiculous extremes to compromise an airframe or especially an ancient one.

That RC B-52 did a very accurate scale impersonation. Even the resulting inferno was an accurate scale copy.

Funny story about the mindset of some of those big dollar RC pilots: I was at a field when a guy crashed his 747 replica. Just feet from him. His attitude was surprising. He said, "I wasn't on it. Nobody was. It's just money. Nobody hurt. I'll clean it up and pay for the damage."

He was an actual retired airline pilot. In relative terms, the crash of a (seriously expensive) toy airplane was a minor thing to him. I might have felt worse. He had 4 scale turbines in that thing. That's at least $12,000 in engines up in smoke. But that pales in comparison to the amount of time and work that goes into one of those.

Originally Posted by WhizkidTN
Originally Posted by SLO_Town
Originally Posted by CT8
Because of my employment I have several hours of drinking coffee in one of the pilots seats in a cold and dark 747. I could not imagine the skill it would take to fly one of those monsters,,, or any plane actually.

Three of my life long friends (we met in 1st grade) flew commercial aircraft. One of them flew 747 freighters transoceanic for the final 20 years of his career, the others a variety of passenger multi-engined jet aircraft (727s. 737s, 757s, DC-8s, MD-80s, DC-10s, Airbus 3xx, etc). My across the street neighbor was a career Air Force pilot who flew nuclear armed B-52s. During the Bay of Pigs he was "dispatched" to Moscow with a fuselage full of nukes. Hearing his story is riveting. He knew it was a one way trip. After retiring from the Air Force he flew L-1011s for Delta (he said the L-1011 was the last of the "watchmaker's" aircraft - it was the finest engineered plane he ever flew).
The common denominator for all of them is that each one of them are alpha males who like high performance cars and/or motorcycles. The ability to be a good pilot, race car driver, large mainframe computer engineer (me, and like them I'm alpha and like fast machines too, it's just that mathematics was always easy for me), etc. is determined by your DNA. If it's not in your DNA, even with the most extensive training imaginable a person will only be "average".
Scott

That's because you (like myself) have "The Nack!".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mpYM4N698s

Dilbert probably drives a Corolla, not a fancy performance car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back