Moen faucet collar is stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Model 7385
Manual says to
"Unscrew and remove collar being careful not to damage the finish. "
I have cranked on it turning counterclockwise and anymore I think it will explode.
The collar and the black plastic pivot retainer in the pic turn together as one.
Any tips?

15493063044481874485947.jpg

Last edited:
I know on the bathroom faucets, a special tool is required to remove the insert, Menards sells this tool for under $4. Not sure if it is applicable to your faucet.

I have the original repair manual and installations instructions. Which is where I got the square from.
I called Moen and they are kindly sending a replacement cartridge.
But it seems like this collar is really stuck

Maybe throw a leather work glove over it and try it with two pairs of channel locks?

I feel your pain brother.. I just got done swapping out our kitchen sink with all new hardware. Nothing went as I so carefully planned. LOL.

Maybe let it soak with some kind of calcium/mineral deposit cleaner? Maybe vinegar? Speaking from a point of zero experience, maybe some penetrating fluid, or some gentle heat can help (hey, it helps on rusted bolts!).

I got it off with a strap wrench but there were some plastic bits that sheared off.
The diagram shows that these come apart but they are fused... I will try and soak in CLR

1549308909518398288834.jpg

15493089582482136826793.jpg

Lifetime warranty or not, repairing faucets just isn't worth it. I'd replace the whole thing.

Originally Posted by Oily_Thing
I have learned to never start plumbing work on Sunday afternoon!

Or car repair work where there is a chance something can break.

Originally Posted by dishdude
Lifetime warranty or not, repairing faucets just isn't worth it. I'd replace the whole thing.
Have to disagree, I've repaired many which just needed the cartridge replaced, or a rebuild kit for it, or sometimes just a soak in CLR or your favorite other acid (vinegar works too but is slow). Take care not to soak brass in acid, it can eat it.

In this case it was trouble to get apart but usually, a cartridge replacement only takes a couple minutes opposed to much more for the entire faucet. Plus it may be much easier to get a cartridge, last time I didn't even need proof I owned the faucet, just gave the model # and my address.

Originally Posted by dishdude

I find the same thing with kitchen faucets, they just get alot of use and abuse.

Contact Moen and tell them about the issue. If the faucet is still being made they will send you the replacement parts. If not they will send you a new faucet. Had that issue last year. The internal corrosion makes it almost impossible to take apart without damaging the finish on parts.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Have you tried MOEN for a repair guide?

MOEN has a liftetime warranty on their products if you're the original owner.

https://www.ehow.com/how_7602342_repair-moen-7385-faucet.html

The lifetime warranty doesn't cover everything.

I had a failing diverter valve. Moen told me that that it was not covered. Four years later when the replacement diverter valve began to fail, I replaced the faucet with a Delta.

Just an FYI I had a problem with a Moen faucet and they were AMAZING TO WORK WITH! Moen is really good about their warranty at least they
were very good to me. Had a few parts replaced on a Moen bathroom faucet and they took sent them and made everything right. Very satisfied with Moen.

Moen is great as far as standing behind their products. I have had three lav faucets and one kitchen faucet completely replaced by them. Just last fall I had a nearly twenty year old faucet replaced for free due to the lifetime finish peeling off.

I bought an unopened moen shower head on clearance at home depot for like $10. When I installed it i couldn't get the hose to stop leaking. Called moen to see about a replacement hose and a few days later a whole new shower head showed up in the mail.
It probably cost more to ship the replacement than I originally paid. I'll be completely redoing my master bath this spring and I'll look at moen first.

I was told the Moem lifetime warranty was limited to their cartridge. We had a kitchen faucet where the hose for the hand held spout leaked, we were basicly told 'too bad'!

Lifetime Moen customer here. I've had complete shower heads and sink sprayer assemblies replaced that were 20 years old. But now days they require you to email them a photograph of the item to prove ownership; I assume because a number of people have taken advantage of their generous warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back