Amsoil plants flag in Asia...

wemay

Site Donor 2023
https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/b...erior-lubrication-experts-climb-top-wind

Originally Posted by Duluth News Tribune
Amsoil will serve the Asian market from Singapore, where it has partnered with a manufacturer that is already making Amsoil's revolutionary PT series of wind-turbine gear oils.

"It's a great pleasure to witness this strategic cooperation among the leading wind companies from China and the U.S.," said Qin Haiyan, secretary general of the China Wind Energy Association and vice president of the World Energy Association, in an Amsoil news release.

Prominently headquartered off the Bong Bridge in Superior, Amsoil remains a privately held, family-owned company with 330 employees. It was started by Amatuzio's father, the late Al Amatuzio, in 1972. He led the company as it pushed the boundaries with synthetic automotive motor oil.

"We're continuously seeking technology and combinations of technology to solve problems," Alan Amatuzio said.

The company's expansion into an Amsoil Wind division owes itself to roots as both an innovator and nimble operator.

"The barriers to entry are really, really big and it's extraordinarily expensive," Amatuzio said about the wind energy market. "But we took a leap of faith. That's the benefit of being privately held. We can make decisions and act on instinct."

The company started in wind energy through a service-and-maintenance window. Wind turbines have two components requiring of lubrication — main and pitch-and-yawn gear boxes. Gear boxes are among the top failure points in wind turbines, Amatuzio explained, and changing oil is expensive — it's not easy getting a crane 300 feet up in the air for starters. Over time and through years of rigorous testing, the company developed a lubricant that pushed the industry standard of oil changes from every three years out to a service life of 10 years.

Originally Posted by wemay
the company developed a lubricant that pushed the industry standard of oil changes from every three years out to a service life of 10 years.
They BITOG'd the wind turbine industry. I wonder what will happen when the introduce GDI to those gearboxes?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CT8
Oil filters made in China !!!

much is made in China nowdays. And they are growing bigger and bigger

Originally Posted by Bjornviken
Originally Posted by CT8

Sad I know. I would rather pay U.S. workers to make stuff than pay them welfare.

Better late than never. All the other oil companies are there and have been for some time. China is a huge market so it makes sense to be there.

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by Bjornviken
Originally Posted by CT8

Sad I know. I would rather pay U.S. workers to make stuff than pay them welfare.

Exactly! ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by wemay
https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/b...erior-lubrication-experts-climb-top-wind
Originally Posted by Duluth News Tribune
Amsoil will serve the .......requiring of lubrication — main and pitch-and-yawn gear boxes. .
lol.gif
Not "yawn"; should be "yaw", as in turning the wind turbine into the wind. (The pitch part controls the blade pitch.)

Going 10 years on the lubricant saves you more than just the cost of the oil. Saves on labor costs too.
Is that stuff what we get in Amsoil Severe Gear Diff oil? Anybody know what EP additives and base oils they use in the wind turbine gear oil?

Why would the management use Amsoil when other brands that will do the same job costs less.cost less.

I would think it would be tough to change gear oil in a wind turbine-would it take a really big crane? Or drag it all up there somehow? Also, wouldn’t full synthetic be better in arctic or extreme heat conditions? Seems like gear boxes fail on them a LOT, maybe full syn would make them more reliable?

Back