11 Dodge Durango 5.7 5k Oil 131k Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Gasbuggy

I read MDS doesn't come on until oil temp sensor sees 120 degrees...

5.7s can throw a code stating incorrect oil, internet is littered with people getting this code. P1521

120F? That's still only 48C, there's a huge visc difference (look at 40C and 100C visc on a PDS) between that and operating temperature. I will check to see when the MDS kicks on in my 6.4L this AM and report back though
smile.gif

Yes, 5.7's CAN throw a code, I noted earlier that user Clevy was able to get his Charger to do it when it was -35C, but otherwise, couldn't. He was running 0w-40. As I said, the programming is different between the two engines. That doesn't mean that the hardware is.

It would appear my MDS started working at 32C (90F) oil temp, though it is harder to tell when it kicks on when it is warm. When the mornings are quite cold it is extremely obvious when it kicks in, likely due to the oil being much thicker. I'll verify the temperature again later this week when we get another cold spell.

Looks like some joined to troll the oil blender a bit on the charger forum. I know it was said that the lifters are all the same for the MDS in the 5.7, 6.1, 6.4 but perhaps this is only because Mopar back spec'd new parts? Similar to how any LS engine specs LS7 lifters now. There may be some truth to suggestions of differences. One thing is for sure, regardless of variables, cams are being dined on by these lifters. GM has the same issues with their AFM.

Below in this article is where I saw the parameters for MDS to kick in.

Posted 10/12/2009
By Greg Montero

In 2005, the Multiple Displacement System (MDS) version of the 5.7L HEMI engine was introduced on the Chrysler 300C and Dodge Magnum. This engine can deactivate four of the eight cylinders, and operate as a 4-cylinder engine during periods of low load, improving fuel economy and emissions. The MDS provides the 5.7L engine the fuel economy of a V6 while maintaining the performance of a V8. The fuel economy improvement is estimated to be up to 20 percent, depending on driving conditions. The MDS operation, invisible to the driver, is fully integrated into the fuel injection system.

"In 2005, the Multiple Displacement System (MDS) version of the 5.7L HEMI engine was introduced on the Chrysler 300C and Dodge Magnum. This engine can deactivate four of the eight cylinders, and operate as a 4-cylinder engine during periods of low load, improving fuel economy and emissions."

When the MDS engine switches to 4-cylinder mode, the powertrain control module (PCM) controls solenoids that manage special "dual mode" lifters, allowing the intake and exhaust valves to remain closed on cylinders 1, 4, 6 and 7. There is one solenoid for each cylinder (two lifters). The PCM also deactivates the fuel injectors for these cylinders when in the 4-cylinder mode.

When the MDS solenoids are in the "off" state (8-cylinder mode), they supply oil pressure of approximately 3 psi to the lifter bores. This lifter oil keeps the bores lubricated and prevents air from entering the system. When the solenoids are activated, oil pressure of 16 psi or greater is supplied to the lifters and the engine enters the 4-cylinder mode.

When the special lifters are supplied high oil pressure by the solenoid, pins inside the lifter move inward. This unlocks the outer portion of the lifter and allows it to move independently from the center portion of the lifter. The camshaft can move the outer portion of the lifter without transferring motion to the inner portion of the lifter.

8-cylinder mode: Solenoids are in the "off" state (de-energized). Minimal oil pressure is applied to the special lifter. They are working normally in this mode.

4-cylinder mode: Solenoids are in the "on" state (energized). High oil pressure is applied to the special lifters and the lifters become inactive and essentially the four pistons are along for the ride. Both valves are closed.

The PCM will activate the 4-cylinder mode when the following enabling conditions are met:

Low engine load

1200 to 3000 rpm

Vehicle speed between 12 mph and 90 mph

Battery voltage from 9 volts to 15 volts

Oil pressure from 15 psi to 147 psi

Oil temperature greater than 120 F

Engine coolant temperature from 158 to 248 F

Ambient temperature from 14 F to 248 F

No throttle position sensor or MDS faults

The PCM deactivates solenoids one cylinder at a time in the firing order. If the system is "on" for long periods of time, such as a long flat road with no stopping, the system will return to the 8-cylinder mode approximately every six minutes to maintain engine temperature. The PCM will also unlock the torque converter before the transition, to minimize the effect on driveability.

The oil temperature sensor used for this system is a two-wire sensor, negative temperature coefficient, like the sensors for engine coolant temperature or intake air temperature (IAT). The PCM uses this input - along with oil pressure, load and rpm - to calculate oil viscosity and flow rate. This information is critical to MDS operation.

It's important to know this engine uses 5W-20 engine oil. If the wrong oil is used, fault code P1521 can be set, and the vehicle may show symptoms of a shudder - similar to a torque converter shudder - when the MDS system is activated and deactivated. Other symptoms may include MDS performance codes or engine misfire codes.

Before spending a lot of time with these codes, use the vehicle service history to find out what type of oil is in the engine. Because this is not always possible, the next best thing is to replace the oil (and filter) with 5W-20. This may have to be done twice to fully restore the system back to normal. Oil sludging, restricted oil passages or lifter contamination can also cause problems with this system.

Quick facts:

Each MDS solenoid has about 12 ohms of resistance. When the solenoid is activated by applying 12 volts to it, an audible "click" can be heard from under the intake manifold. This test can be done with a jumper wire or by using the actuator test mode (ATM) mode of a compatible scan tool.

If the solenoid is mechanically stuck in the "on" position, the result will be one dead cylinder.

Hopefully, this information will be helpful if one of these systems shows up in your shop."

Looks like some joined to troll the oil blender a bit on the charger forum. I know it was said that the lifters are all the same for the MDS in the 5.7, 6.1, 6.4 but perhaps this is only because Mopar back spec'd new parts? Similar to how any LS engine specs LS7 lifters now. There may be some truth to suggestions of differences. One thing is for sure, regardless of variables, cams are being dined on by these lifters. GM has the same issues with their AFM.

That's really unfortunately that folks have gone after the blender. Regardless of my opinion on the information presented in this thread, I still think that's pretty low
frown.gif

Thank you for the quote! I am going to guess that either the 6.4L operating parameters are different or Chrysler has updated the system since 2009 when the article was authored. I say that because I've observed MDS operate:
- When the oil temp was below 120F
- When the ambient temp was below 14F, which has been the case several times in the last few weeks and the system still kicks in (and is noticeable when it is that cold as I noted earlier) not far from my house on my way to work.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

I read MDS doesn't come on until oil temp sensor sees 120 degrees...

5.7s can throw a code stating incorrect oil, internet is littered with people getting this code. P1521

120F? That's still only 48C, there's a huge visc difference (look at 40C and 100C visc on a PDS) between that and operating temperature. I will check to see when the MDS kicks on in my 6.4L this AM and report back though
smile.gif

Yes, 5.7's CAN throw a code, I noted earlier that user Clevy was able to get his Charger to do it when it was -35C, but otherwise, couldn't. He was running 0w-40. As I said, the programming is different between the two engines. That doesn't mean that the hardware is.

The tempature explains a lot because I could not have the engine throw a code. I don't get temps around here that low. If it is 40F folks around here get parkas and scarfs out of the attic. You should have seen the poor guy from Morelos he broke out the Artic cold weather gear because it was 36F at 5AM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back