Wax Residue on Plastic - McKee's 37 Wax Remover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite trying to be careful, over the years the black plastic trim on the lower parts of the MDX' bumpers collected some wax/sealant residue that I just could not get off no matter what I tried. Recently, on a whim, I threw some McKee's 37 Wax Remover for rubber and plastic in my cart. Directions are simple, mist a small amount on to the area and agitate with a brush. This product removed the wax residue that had literally been there for years. I recommend this to anyone with the same issue.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by double vanos
Where did you buy it?

Probably Autogeek

Yep. McKees is one of the Palm Beach Group brands.

FWIW, Collinite 845 doesn't leave a residue on trim. In fact, it makes trim look like new again...

Originally Posted by grampi
FWIW, Collinite 845 doesn't leave a residue on trim. In fact, it makes trim look like new again...

Agree. The solution is to use a product that does not stain trim in the first place.

^ that's the solution if you already have wax on your trim? :
confused.gif
:

Also, 845 is a great "all arounder" but there are products demonstrably better than 845 depending on what attributes are important to you. At this point I only use 845 when detailing cars for a friend or family member.

I am a bit annoyed that McKee37 will not release SDS sheets to the general public. All of the majors have no issues with doing this.

But I am glad to hear that the product worked for you.

Originally Posted by gofast182
Also, 845 is a great "all arounder" but there are products demonstrably better than 845 depending on what attributes are important to you. At this point I only use 845 when detailing cars for a friend or family member.

Like what?

Jescar Power Lock for one in the sealant category. There are any number of newer sealants or coatings that have better longevity and/or shine that 845. It's not a knock against 845, but new formulations and new technologies in the LSP industry are advancing quickly. No one is right or wrong for what they prefer but if that preference only exists because "well that's what I've always done and since it works for me, nothing's really better" then you may not be seeing the forest for the trees.
smile.gif

There are a lot of newer products available today. The new spray sealants are quickly becoming the go to product for car care.

Originally Posted by PimTac
There are a lot of newer products available today. The new spray sealants are quickly becoming the go to product for car care.

Yeah, the spray on, rinse off, SiO2 products are quickly permeating the marketplace and I believe that chemistry has even made its way to an "over the counter" Meguiar's product.

And just to keep it on topic, those things can be sprayed directly on trim.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Yeah, the spray on, rinse off, SiO2 products are quickly permeating the marketplace and I believe that chemistry has even made its way to an "over the counter" Meguiar's product.

And just to keep it on topic, those things can be sprayed directly on trim.

Yep, on trim and on glass with no problems. I've been using the Sonax Spray and Seal. For a few minutes of work I get 4-6 months of shine and protection. Mothers just came out with their CMX spray. That has been hard to get since it sells out quickly. Meguiars has theirs as well.

Better protection and shine with less work and less manipulation on the surface which in turn means less scratches.

Jescar Power Lock for one in the sealant category. There are any number of newer sealants or coatings that have better longevity and/or shine that 845. It's not a knock against 845, but new formulations and new technologies in the LSP industry are advancing quickly. No one is right or wrong for what they prefer but if that preference only exists because "well that's what I've always done and since it works for me, nothing's really better" then you may not be seeing the forest for the trees.
smile.gif

I'm not up to speed on the new sealants. Could you list some of the better ones so I can do some research on them and give a few of them a try?

Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish - Wipe on, wipe off protection. You can easily seal a whole car in 5-10 minutes.

Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax - New spray on, rinse off SiO2 coating/sealant. Mine should arrive today and if we get some nice weather I'll post here.

Mother's CMX Spray Coating - New spray on, wipe off SiO2 coating with an interesting titatium compound as well. As soon as I can find a bottle it's going on the Atlas and I'll post here.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish - Wipe on, wipe off protection. You can easily seal a whole car in 5-10 minutes.

Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax - New spray on, rinse off SiO2 coating/sealant. Mine should arrive today and if we get some nice weather I'll post here.

Mother's CMX Spray Coating - New spray on, wipe off SiO2 coating with an interesting titatium compound as well. As soon as I can find a bottle it's going on the Atlas and I'll post here.

What is SIO2? How long does the Meguiar's UFF last?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back