Castrol Magnatec 5w-30, 6924 miles- 17 Ford Fusion 2.0 Ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had this car for a 1.5 years, only had Motorcraft (both FS/SB) and Castrol Magnatec 5w-30 in it. I used the Dexos 1 generation 1 formulation of the Castrol with fram ultra oil filter. I will be making the switch to Dexos 1 Gen 2 next oil change. This is my second UOA with the Castrol. My driving would be classified as severe based on the amount of stop and go in the Chicago area. I did have 2 400 mile trips to Michigan on this as well.

I am pretty impressed with the Magnatec. For the cost, it seems to do well with my engine. I've decide to go with 7k OCI's and keeping on using Castrol.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 198
Last edited:
Awesome results. Only 1.3 ppm iron per 1,000 miles. And that is with less than a 9 cst kinematic viscosity.
smile.gif

Looks real good for a turbo DI 7,000 mile run. Your Ecoboost does the same as our 2.3, it shears the oil a bit and lowers the flash point as well as showing a trace of fuel dilution. This definitely did NOT effect the wear metals. Also that Magnatec looks like it meets the Dexos 1 Gen 2 standards with the lower calcium and higher magnesium levels, even if the jug didn't say so.

Whimsey

Good idea not to extend the next OCI with this brand-model oil. I've looked at a few UOA/VOAs of the D1/G2 SN Plus version of Magnatec and it shows slightly weaker addpack, than your shown (presumably SN) version.

This is an ideal Magnatec pairing for your engine. But so would be Mobil-1, Pennzoil Platinum, QS Ultimate Durability, Castrol Edge and Valvoline Advanced, which Valvoline now shows a pretty stout add-pack (as shown in a new VOA I read yesterday.

I moved away from Valvoline recently, reason-being is their Maxlife synthetic product I tried. But the Advanced Synthetic looks promising..... however the unknown being is what's being used now as their base oil. That may have changed also.

This does look like a dexos1 Gen2, as noted above, with the high Mg an low-ish Ca. Titanium is a nice addition, similar to Castrol, Kendall, & Valvoline using it. This did shear & fuel dilute down to effectively a 0w20 or 5w20, yet for most of the oil change interval is probably was a light 30 weight anyway. It has tolerance for lowered visc.

magnatec.JPG

Looks great, the Dex 1, Gen 2 Magnatec is going in my wife's Edge with the same engine as well as my F150 with the 2.7 Ecoboost on the next oil changes.

Originally Posted by Gubkin
Can you provide a photo of canister please ?
looks like Castrol Magnatec Professional DX 5W-30 (SN, GF-5, dexos1 gen2)

No, it's long gone. I can tell you the 5 qt. jug only mentioned dexos 1( no mention of gen 2). Same with the additional qt. Next change I'll take a photo and keep for my records.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back