Why do you use the oil brand you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Lubrication Engineers, Inc (LE). Speciifcally, Monolec Tetra-Syn. Yes, I sell it but its the best engine oil on the market. It's the best because unlike the major manufacturer's, we want to sell the best, not the most. In fact, we print this right on the bottle, "No other brand of petroleum lubricating oil whatsoever, regardless of price, will be found superior in condition at the end of any given period of use."

LE's Monolec Tetra-Syn Engine Oil exceeds the minimum standards set by American Petroleum Institute (API), providing the ultimate combination of performance, protection, endurance and efficiency. It is a best in class 100 percent synthetic gasoline engine oil, and the secret to its superiority is the proprietary additive package designed to deliver resource-conserving fuel economy, protect emissions systems, keep engines clean, keep deposits to a minimum, and mitigates wear in Low-Speed Pre-Ignition (LSPI) conditions.

Monolec Tetra-Syn when used with oil analysis, safely allows extended drains to 12k-15k miles reducing oil consumption and cost of use. Monolec Tetra-Syn also extends engine life, reduces engine temperature, and increases MPG. Your engine will purr like a kitten with LE's Monolec Tetra-Syn in it.

36.gif
Here goes the thread...

Lol, another vendor peddling their wares on Bitog.

This one took an extra day to start posting their spiel, usually it's done the same day.

Why not?
What happens if an issue arises inside your engine and they find the Big-Z in your oil.
Quite possibly warranty denied, since most manuals cry foul of purchasers using additives to their oil.

Originally Posted by StevieC
The limit for Noack is 15 I believe to 9ish would be considered low. Not as low as some companies but lower than the limit of 15.

What is the big deal with NOACK a self described tribologist has stated it is not repeatable.

Originally Posted by LE_Oil_Guy
I use Lubrication Engineers, Inc (LE). Speciifcally, Monolec Tetra-Syn. Yes, I sell it but its the best engine oil on the market. It's the best because unlike the major manufacturer's, we want to sell the best, not the most. In fact, we print this right on the bottle, "No other brand of petroleum lubricating oil whatsoever, regardless of price, will be found superior in condition at the end of any given period of use."

LE's Monolec Tetra-Syn Engine Oil exceeds the minimum standards set by American Petroleum Institute (API), providing the ultimate combination of performance, protection, endurance and efficiency. It is a best in class 100 percent synthetic gasoline engine oil, and the secret to its superiority is the proprietary additive package designed to deliver resource-conserving fuel economy, protect emissions systems, keep engines clean, keep deposits to a minimum, and mitigates wear in Low-Speed Pre-Ignition (LSPI) conditions.

Monolec Tetra-Syn when used with oil analysis, safely allows extended drains to 12k-15k miles reducing oil consumption and cost of use. Monolec Tetra-Syn also extends engine life, reduces engine temperature, and increases MPG. Your engine will purr like a kitten with LE's Monolec Tetra-Syn in it.

Big sales pitch to say we are just as good. What a waste of oxygen.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by StevieC
The limit for Noack is 15 I believe to 9ish would be considered low. Not as low as some companies but lower than the limit of 15.

What is the big deal with NOACK a self described tribologist has stated it is not repeatable.

Volatility testing plays an important role in engine lubrication where high temperatures occur quite frequently. Evaporation losses can be seen in the amount of oil consumption or the need for top-ups. This can also result in a change in the oil's properties, as additives may evaporate during the volatilization process.

As lighter molecules "burn off" or evaporate, heavier molecules remain, causing a shift in the fluid's viscosity. Leaving behind heavier or "thicker" oil can contribute to reduced fuel economy due to added viscous drag as well as poor oil circulation throughout the engine, greater oil consumption, higher wear rates and increased emissions.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/30945/volatility-flash-point

In addition to evaporation lowering the oil level, there are also changes in the physical properties of the lubricant left behind. Perhaps the biggest issue associated with evaporation loss is the change in the viscosity of the remaining lubricant. The lighter ends, or smaller molecules, are the first to evaporate. As they leave the fluid, there is a shift in the average molecular size of the remaining oil. This shift leans more to the heavier molecules, and thus the viscosity rises accordingly.

This rise in viscosity can impact how well the machine lubricates itself. This can lead to a decrease in the splashing tendency of the oil in gearboxes and bearings, and may restrict oil flow in circulating systems. None of these scenarios is desirable when it comes to machine reliability.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/30545/oil-evaporation-loss

Noack volatility determines the evaporative loss of engine oils. This test is important because the operating temperatures of an engine will typically drive off the lighter ends of a lubricant while in service. This effectively results in making the lubricant more viscous (thicker) which can lead to reduced fuel economy due to an increase in parasitic load. A lower number generally means less oil consumption due to evaporation when the oil gets hot. Volatilities in the red zone are above the required limit for current API gasoline specifications.

The evaporation loss is of particular importance in engine lubrication. Where high temperatures occur, portions of an oil can evaporate. Evaporation may contribute to oil consumption in an engine and can lead to a change in the properties of an oil. Oils failing to meet the volatility limits will struggle in many oxidation tests including the sequence IIIG engine test which is a critical and sometimes formulation defining test. This test is impacted by many factors including the Noack volatility. Anti-oxidants can improve oxidation control but cannot prevent evaporation of the base stock leading to rapid oil thickening.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/Testdescriptions/Noack.html

Just don't want my answer to be biased... It's interesting what the PQIA says in the second paragraph.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JLTD
Cracks me up how many are saying their brand of oil used, rather than answering OP's question of why they run it.

crackmeup2.gif

Oops! I forgot to say WHY I use what I use:
I'm using M1 oils in my daughter's cars because they were given "free" oil changes at their dealerships, both use M1.

I'm using M1HM in my pickup because it's price is comparable to the other brands of HM synthetics at WM. After my stash of M1HM is gone, I'm switching to Kendall GT-1 Max, based on it's price from my local Distributor.

I use Kendall GT-1 Max in my wife's car, once again based on the low price that my Distributor offers.

I use P66 Guardol ECT oils in my semi truck based on it's lower price through my Distributor, and on how good my UOAs have looked running it.

After my daughter's "free" oil changes are finished, I'd like to switch both of their cars over to Kendall, but they both are of the opinion that M1 is the "best". I agree that M1 oils are very, very good, so I'm ok with them sticking with them.

I use the brand of oil in my personal vehicles that I use in my commercial vehicles. Schaeffer. Why drive to and pay for something in a store when it is delivered free of charge to me and the entire invoice of oils and lubes is written off as a business expense. Can't say for an absolute certainty that Schaeffer is better than everything else, but they have been at the game longer than anyone else in N. America and have a solid reputation in the commercial sector. And I have taken several trucks to over 1 million miles without having to do a major repair on the engine, so it must be doing the job. I have never lost an engine or transmission in a personal vehicle either.

They don't run a lot of fancy ads for NASCAR and whatever. They just plain make good products at a good value.

I use Kendall GT-1 Max because I've always had good luck with it, meaning all my vehicles that have over 200k or 300k miles don't use any oil, don't smoke (even on start up), run great, etc... and because Kendall is made by Phillips 66 which is a great American company. I can't bring myself to purchase any brand of oil that is owned by a foreign company (castrol, pennzoil, etc..) Not they they aren't good oils, I know they are. I just prefer to support American companies.

Last edited:
I PPPP 0w-20 in my 14 Durango because it was all the rage back when I bought it.
I use Castrol 0w-40 in my 18 F-150 because its all the rage now.

And they are both at my local Wally World. If they have Castrol 0w-30 I might try that in the durango just to switch it up some.

Originally Posted by Srt20
I PPPP 0w-20 in my 14 Durango because it was all the rage back when I bought it.
I use Castrol 0w-40 in my 18 F-150 because its all the rage now.

And they are both at my local Wally World. If they have Castrol 0w-30 I might try that in the durango just to switch it up some.

LOL I use what ever is on sale with a rebate because its the rage here except for Pennzoil because they don't have good track record with their rebates.

I shop for oil by the specifications it meets and then by the lowest price. Often this is a store brand or a name brand with a rebate. I can't think of any other criteria worth considering.

Originally Posted by Big_3_Only
I use Kendall GT-1 Max because I've always had good luck with it, meaning all my vehicles that have over 200k or 300k miles don't use any oil, don't smoke (even on start up), run great, etc... and because Kendall is made by Phillips 66 which is a great American company. I can't bring myself to purchase any brand of oil that is owned by a foreign company (castrol, pennzoil, etc..) Not they they aren't good oils, I know they are. I just prefer to support American companies.

I also like Phillips 66/Kendall products, and I'm happy to support them. I've had excellent support from Phillips 66 and their Distributors. I've dealt with several Distributors across the U.S., and every single one of them has gone the extra mile in terms of customer service, and their prices can't be beat. One Distributor stayed open past quitting time for me to pick up my oil when I got stuck in traffic in my Semi.

I use the oil that gives what I believe are the most proper specs for the engine considering its condition. Lately that's been finding the thickest mfg-recommended grade because all my engines went from being spec'd for 5W30 to 5W20.
eek.gif
Throw in an oil leak or two, some startup noise and high mileage and I've ended up choosing two different Valvoline products and one Castrol. Nothing to do with brand but cold and hot viscosities, and some HM additives.

Hi! I'm new here but a longtime BITOG reader.

I used Castrol Edge 5W30 in the Crown Vic for a few OCIs, then switched to M1 5W30 HM which is I've been using since then. Dad was a Castrol man so I stuck with that until M1 was on sale at Walmart and always seemed to be cheaper for some reason
21.gif

When I saw Pennzoil's $10 rebate last month I jumped on that, figured I'll give PP a try on my next OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back